Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sffog

fig plant not leafing out

sffog
12 years ago

my fig plant still has no leaves. it was a package plant from big box store and i put it in a pot with potting soil, soil is moist not overly wet and in an unheated greenhouse. is there hope that it will leaf out. i scraped the bark and its green , i also cut away the dry tip , i have plastic wrap over the bare branches hoping some moisture will help. anyone with an opinion on what the problem might be. it s been in soil since january.

Comments (8)

• westcoastgrower
    12 years ago

dont worry, if its still green give it some time. one of my fig tree just started to leaf out.
    and i live near you, east bay area.

• sam89
    12 years ago

sffog, Fig tree loves Sunlight at least 6 hours of Sunlight per day. All fig trees in my area( I live in s f) leafed out since end of March. Try move your fig tree out of the greenhouse and let it exposed to DIRECT sunlight. It wouldn't hurt. I have one fig in the ground and one in the pot. The Violette deBordeaux in the ground has grown 6 to 7 leaves. The Neveralla in the pot with potting soil also has 6 to 7 leaves now.
    The one in the ground receives 6 hours of direct sunlight and the one in the pot receives 10 hours of direct sunlight.
    I hope this can help

• sffog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thank you westcoastgrower and sam89, i will keep my fingers crossed.
    sam89 i live in the fog belt of mt davidson, does that matter ? i will move it to the sunniest spot,

• sam89
    12 years ago

sffog, I live in Excelsior and weather is foggy too. I have 3 fig trees now as I recently bought a 5 gallon Desert King with 20 figlets. Two container figs and one in the ground. I'm newbie in fig so I like to experiment that I keep some fig trees in container.
    Growing fig tree in container is quite labor intensive. One has to pay attention of the pot not getting too warm and well watered. I saw pictures of folks burying their pot in ground to keep pot from getting hot.

• sffog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

sam89 thanks for reinforcing that figs will grow in foggy SF
    i too am new to growing figs, i have no figlets on my 2 celeste,or the 1 alma. the one with no leaves is a black jack . i have some cuttings from my neighbors black mission, that is an experiment, so far they had leaves then they dried up when i went on vacation so now maybe they will sprout again, they have small roots. i have more cuttings so if you are interested let me know. no history on the plant except it is black mission .

• sam89
    12 years ago

sffog, A cold weather front will move in and brings heavy rainfall. A young fig tree in container with potting soil might not fare well in this condition. I would suggested that the young fig tree stays in the greenhouse during the storm. I babysit of my fig tree in container after I dug it out of ground. In order to move it around to get maximum sunlight. The drawback is easily OVERWATER. I let it sat one rainny night and later I observed brown stain near underneath a leaf. It was a sign of overwater. Good luck !

• sam89
    12 years ago

sffog, The 20 figlets are with the fig tree when I bought it in an nursery. Two reasons I bought Desert King are member (Johnathon here in S F mission) recommended and the 20 figlets on the tree. I googled in the web and lot of people recommended Desert King for cool summer climate.
    I'm interested in having a black mission cutting if you can spare. My fig trees are so young except Desert King. I might have to repot in spring and might have some cuttings.

• sffog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

sure you can have black mission cuttings e mail, jn91871@yahoo.com and i will give you my address, i will move the fig trees into the greenhouse,

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022