Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snaglpus

Brooklyn White - almost ripe

Hey guys and gals, I am busting with joy! After checking my figs for moisture, I noticed my 2 year old container Brooklyn White fig has one fig that has turned white! I have been chasing mocking birds and squirrels away for days. Can someone tell me how to tell when to pick this fig? Will it droop? Will it ooze honey from the eye?

From the other figs on the tree, this one fig is soft and I want to pick it! Should I? I'll post a picture tomorrow morning. If it's gone then I'll be out hunting squirrels and mocking birds! cheers, Dennis

Comments (18)

• bonsaist
    13 years ago

I like mine extra ripe. I would leave the figs on until really soft.
    Here's my Brooklyn white a day or two before the figs were picked.

{{gwi:781024}}

Bass

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Bass! I grew this fig from a cutting I got from Herman2 (I think) last Spring. All my cutting took and now I have some nice Brooklyn Whites. It is suppose to rain tomorrow, Tuesday and Wednesday. I may have to cover this tree up cause I don't want my figs to split due to the excess rain. Bass let me know when you ship my Hardy Chicago trees I ordered. I don't want box to sit out in the sun till I get home. cheers, Dennis in Charlotte, NC

• herman2_gw
    13 years ago

No you did not,I do not have it.

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok. I must have purchased those cutting from someone else then. I plan on planting a couple of those trees in the ground this Fall. I am curious how this tree will perform in my area with winter protection. cheers, Dennis

• giants_2007
    13 years ago

Hi Dennis you might want to protect those few precious first figs until the season really kicks in, similar to what Gene did I know with so many trees it is hard other than netting and then we can share with the birds and such. Looking forward to seeing pics and for your descriptive taste test that sure looks like a productive variety nice pic Bass
    Sal

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great! Here is a picture of my Brooklyn White. Can you see the one that's almost ripe?

{{gwi:781025}}

Here is another picture of it:
    {{gwi:781026}}

I checked it again this morning. It's soft but I'm going to wait 2 more days before I pic it. The birds know something is up and are staying away. Cheers! Dennis

• rafed
    13 years ago

Hey Dennis,

Nice plant. I see you also use that ant stuff.
    Not trying to change the subject but works well for me.

I would guard that fig with a full auto machine gun, canon and a flame thrower!
    First bird that's stupid enough to get near it will be made an example to the others!

Rafed

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks guys! I chickened out and placed the tree inside my greenhouse. Those squirrely squirrels were just too close today. Now I'm glad I did place it inside my greenhouse because its been raining every day now since last week! I don't want that fig to split on me. My wife keeps telling me to pick it but I'm going to hold out a few more days. This will be my fig of the year! I am so excited! My Black Spanish is usually the first to ripen but not this year.

How about those figs!!!!

cheers, Dennis

• giants_2007
    13 years ago

Better safe than sorry
    Sal

• noss
    13 years ago

Hello Rafed,

What ant stuff are you talking about?

Thanks,

Vivian

• rafed
    13 years ago

Hello Vivian,

I can't think of the brand or name and I'm away from home right now but if you at Dennis's picture and on the pot you will see a small flat plastic thing inserted in the soil at the top of the rim.

These things are designed for outdoor use. Just take them out of the package and insert them where ever you like.

You can find them at Lowes or Home Depot or any place that has a garden center.

Sorry Dennis,
    Anymore questions on this product and I will post a thread on it. I will not Hijack your thread. ( If I haven't already )

Rafed

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's Ok Rafed. They are called Andro ant baits. You get about 8 in a pack. Walmat cares them for around 4 bucks. They last around 3 or 4 months. The ants take the bait back to their mound and kills the whole mound. Last year I used these and did not have an ant problem. Ants travel in search for food at dusk. I would recommend placing these baits on your in-ground trees too. I have to buy some more and recommend using 2 for larger containers.

Dennis

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Guys the suspense was killing me...so I picked the fig. It looked good but it had no taste. It was bad. Here are a few pics:

{{gwi:781027}}

{{gwi:781028}}

{{gwi:781029}}

{{gwi:781030}}

{{gwi:781031}}

Oh, well, can't wait till the other ones ripen up! cheers, Dennis

• dieseler
    13 years ago

Thats too bad Dennis.
    You actually ate that fig, it appears spoiled. ? ; )

• noss
    13 years ago

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the information. I didn't know about not hijacking a thread. So sorry. If I asked a question off this thread, how would anyone know what I was referring to, though?

Thanks,

Vivian

• bonsaist
    13 years ago

It doesn't look edible from the look of it. It definitely looked spoiled. Brooklyn white normally should look like this.

• rafed
    13 years ago

Dennis,

Sorry about your fig, It's every figsters nightmare!
    What a heartbreaker.

Lets just consider this one bad one to one hundred good ones you will get to enjoy.

Vivian, No harm done.
    Sometimes when we post a thread about a subject we get side tracked on other issues and forget about the first topic. Confused? LOL

Nontheless, I wrote that out of respect to Dennis.
    Ask your questions, Please. That's the only way we learn.

Rafed

• noss
    13 years ago

Thanks, Rafed. :)

Vivian