Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
zone 6 fig tree dead?

Posted by Tiber 6 (My Page) on
Sun, May 8, 11 at 21:47

I think my fig tree is dead.

Should be easy to tell, right? I read on this forum that the fig trees die down to the ground when it's a cold snap. My neighbors fig tree came back just fine. Anyone else in zone 6 have a new fig tree? When should I expect to see anything from my twig?

The story behind this thing is my neighbor has one, I wanted one. Home Depot sells a "fig tree" (which doesn't tell me anything) so my neighbor agreed to get another one. I got it and figured he doesn't do anything to his fig and it's just fine so I'll just toss it in a hole and go. His fig tree came back just fine, mine looks like a dead stick in a hole. For reference, I'm just north of Valley Forge in PA, and the winter was so bad I couldn't find the bucket I tossed over my fig.

Now if I read this correctly - http://www.aces.edu/counties/StClair/files/NRFigPropagationGlover.pdf - if I want his fig tree, I merely wait until it's dormant, clip a branch and stick it in potting soil. Is it really that easy? Any other tips?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: zone 6 fig tree dead?

I can't know for sure...but in my very limited experience, a first-year, in-ground, uncovered fig in zone 6 is surely dead. Assuming that your neighbor's plant is the same variety as yours and assuming that there are similar "microclimates" (e.g., sun, wind, water, etc. exposure), I would presume your plant dead.

I had my third-year in-ground fig covered for the winter and still lost a fair number of tips. But at this time in zone 6, it is showing new leaf and breba crop growth. Temps here have been 50s-60s during the day and 40s (sometimes high 30s) at night.

Regarding your neighbor's, I'm wondering if he did anything to protect it from the weather. Also, where is it situated...is there natural protection?

o

One quick way to know if a twig is still alive,
is to finger-nail scratch the bark
- green is good - brown is bad.

Still, do not give up yet; many winter-killed figs do
come back with new shoots from (under-ground) roots.

Good luck...

o

Can someone explain to me about the different zones im in south jersey and i just inherited a cluster of either black trianas or white genoas or brown turkey i keep seein zones what zone am i in and whats the diff.?Pl e mail me back thanks in advance john wysocki

o

If you are in Cape May and up to Willingboro to the north then you are in Zone 7
If north of Willingboro,you are in zone 6,except 2 miles of land close to Ocean which is zone 7 up to NY.
In Zone 7 the climate is milder than zone 6,and so it is possible to grow fig trees inground with a little help from the Gardener,in the winter:mulching at base ,covering the tree with leaf bags,etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here