Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fig Tree Big Suckers

Posted by oakleaf1 7b (My Page) on
Tue, May 13, 14 at 21:59

Hi, I am a newcomer to this forum, and am seeking advice on propagating suckers from my fig tree.

I'm not sure what variety of tree this is, as it was here when I bought the house. The tree is large and mature. There are many suckers around it, ranging up to perhaps 4' in height. They appear to be growing directly from the ground, up to 2' from a main trunk, but I suspect that they are actually suckers?

What I would like to do is sever some of these, hopefully along with roots, and pot them up to give to a friend. But I need to know if I can do this at this time of year? The weather has been very inconsistent, last week 90�, today 65�. We are in drought, but suddenly got 6" of rain in the past two days. I am in zone 7b or 8 in Keene in N. Central Texas, sandy soil in Cross Timbers.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fig Tree Big Suckers

I would wait until the fig is dormant to propagate them. But if you have a lot of sucker, you can experiment on a few now and see if it works. Figs are easy to propagate so why not give it a try? Wait until a cool day and cut them as deep as you can. Dip it in some growth hormone to help it root(you can buy it at hardware stores). Put it in rich and well draining soil and water well.
I hope this helps!

o

You can try as long as get as much of the root system as you can and water it in well in good soil and not just clay. I would pot it up a couple of inches deeper than it was growing and keep the soil as least damp but not wet after the initial watering in. Expect to lose some of the leaves until the roots get established and keep it in the shade at first to minimize stress. I would expect the tree to stop growing until the roots are better established.

o

Gently did around base to see if there are good amount of roots if there are decent amount severe it and put into waiting pot then in shade.

What i have done in past many times is dig a shallow trench
bend portion of sucker leaving some of it exposed.
You will get roots along the portion thats buried in time.

This can be done in spring and summer does not matter.
Regards,
Martin

o

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try it. Will let you know what happens.

o

2 of my figs are root cuttings I did several years ago. I just dug up a fat root place and potted them. Now two fig trees.

Penny

o
RE: Fig Tree Spring.Sucker Propagation

Ya'll have given me some great advice about trying to propagate fig trees from well rooted suckers. Now the only thing I'm not sure about is what kind of soil I should have waiting in the pot. Should it be be native sandy soil it has been growing in or a richer purchased potting soil?

o

fall or winter is best, but I have dug out fig suckers in June and seen them grow just fine.

The key will be keeping them watered and cool once you pot them up. Make sure you place the pots where they get mostly shade, or at least shade all afternoon. Keep them watered and you will probably have nice plants to give away come fall.

o

Thanks again for your feedback. So can I just stick it in a pot with the soil it grew up in?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here