Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fig tree leaves curling up

Posted by ArcherFig none (My Page) on
Mon, May 6, 13 at 22:57

Hello,

I've kept this small fig tree (40cm height) indoor, in a relatively small pot for 2 years. I've decided to repot it in a larger pot in order for it to grow (the roots were circling around the circumference of the small pot), and as well to get rid of small insects that were in the soil (probably due to soil humidity).

So I shook off all the soil from the root ball, and replanted it carefully in a bigger pot (about 2 to 3 times the volume of the small one) with new soil and a bit of fertilizer. I watered the new soil abundantly, but not so that water comes out of the pot holes at the bottom.

However, the next day, the few leaves it has (2-3 weeks old leaves... the plant just started waking up from winter) started curling up. It been 2 days now since I re potted and the leaves are still curling up and look limp, but none have fallen so far. The soil on top is still humid­.

From my searches on internet, it seems like both overwatering and underwatering can cause leaves to curl up, so that was not very helpful. Hopefully someone here can give me good hints on what I should do to save my fig tree.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fig tree leaves curling up

Does the new pot have drainage holes? I have read that Fig trees do not like to have their roots kept wet. Or, the problem may be transplant shock. Figs are known to be resilient, and even if it loss its leaves due to shock, it can still grow new leaves after awhile.
A new fig tree that purchased last year lost all its leaves a within a week of transplanting to a bigger pot. After about a month or two new life started showing. This year it is doing fine.
Terry

o
RE: Fig tree leaves curling up

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sun, May 12, 13 at 14:58

The pot needs drainage holes. Then you need to water enough so that some water drains out the holes. The addition of fertilizer wasn't a good idea. Wait on that until the tree has started growing in the new pot. So you need extra water to flush out any salts from that fertilizer. Lastly put the tree in a shady location until it recovers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here