Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_rva

New growth at tree base only

andrew_rva
9 years ago

We have a mission fig tree in a container in Central Virginia. It's about 3 feet high not including the container. It hasn't produced any new leaves on the branches, but new growth has appeared at the bottom of the tree (see photo). It seems to me it's given up on its main trunk and is trying to create new trunks. Anyone know what's going on here and what I should do?

Thanks,

Comments (7)

• JoppaRich
    9 years ago

Andrew,
    I'm in RVA too. I have a Black Mission fig that I put in the ground last year, and it looks the same. I'm pretty sure the winter killed it to the ground, and it's regrowing from the roots.

I think we just had a rough winter and this behavior is normal.

• dieseler
    9 years ago

Give it more time to see if anything develops at the nodes from the branches not shown in your picture as its been a tough winter in many area's.

Worse case you can airlayer a spare soon as those bottom
    sprouts are big enough to do so.
    Regards,
    Martin

• andrew_rva
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great information, thanks John. We just bought this tree last summer so I'm glad to hear it may pull through. I'm ok with, and think I actually prefer, a bush-type growth for it. Would you recommend lopping off the trunk just below the point where I reach green wood? Is there any use in leaving the dead top of the trunk intact?

There wasn't a truly dense canopy, just about 8 branches at the top of the tree that had pretty decent leaf coverage. There are no leaves showing up above ground-level, so I'm pretty sure everything at the top is dead.

• paul_30068
    9 years ago

Same thing happened to me in Marietta zip code 30068 this season with an Italian Everbearing fig tree. We had two tough ice storms this past winter that coated everything in ice for many days at a time each storm.

My fig tree was growing straight up and pretty. Come spring when all else in my yard had come to life I had nothing but growth at the base and bugs of some sort had drilled into the dead trunk area - looked like termite damage but I think it was just ants of some kind.

I cut the trunk below the insect infestation line, leaving only about 6 inches of trunk. Shame as the tree was producing last year. I bought it from a nursery aged 4 years old. I pinched fruit year one planted but ate fruit year two.

I now have new growth in three main shoots from the base. I hope it survives and becomes bushy and prosperous, but it is going to be a while before I get a fig again if ever.

• phillycook
    9 years ago

Our fig tree had a tough winter in Philadelphia.
    It had reached a height of 15' - 18' and was about six years old. When the weather started to warm up none of the branches showed any signs of growth. However, two weeks ago it started to show shoots at the base and today I noticed some leaves sprouting from one of the larger trunks that I was pretty sure had died off.
    I'm going to be taking the advice of John (Fig Insanity), but I have a further question as to pinching back the new shoots.
    As the trunk is the size that it is, and because it is showing growth above ground level, would leaving more than 5 or 6 sprouts at the base be okay?
    I'll post another photo in another message.

• phillycook
    9 years ago

New growth on above ground trunk.