Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to move to a bigger pot and when to split a plant?

Posted by recoil_rob 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 15, 11 at 0:05

Two separate questions, first, this is a plant started this winter from a cutting, it's in a 6" pot. Is it time to move up to a larger pot, if so, how big?

Photobucket

Second, this plant has three main stems, all almost 2 " thick. Can this be successfully split into 3 separate plants? If so, when is the best time to do it, in the fall or the spring?

Photobucket

thanks, Rob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to move to a bigger pot and when to split a plant?

• Posted by noss Zone 9 Lafayette (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 15, 11 at 4:40

Are the three trunks coming up out of the soil separately? I can't really tell from the picture.

I split a tree in half, but the two parts were more widely separated and each had good roots on them.

Why do you want to have 3 separate trees? It looks like the form the tree is in now shades the root area. I'm just wondering. :)

noss

o

Leave your tree alone.
You can make new branch layers if you want but splitting is a bad idea.

o

Wait until you see roots coming out the bottom then transfer,but I don't think going to a 1 gallon now will harm it.

I went from 16 oz cups to one gallon pots with no problem.

o

I thought it was getting a bit crowded but will leave them together.

NYPD, thanks for the advice, will wait for roots.

o

rob -- quick question about your fig cutting: have you been feeding it at all? I have some cuttings i started in march that are doing decent but not growing too much. wondering if i should be fertilizing...
thanks!

o

I do the weekly/weakly routine, a week solution of Foliage Pro once a week.

o

Did you put 3 cuttings into the pot? If so, you could separate them.

However, figs will grow as a bush, so multiple trunks do not mean you have multiple plants. Not unless you planted 3 separate plants in that planter.

That's a nice looking little tree.

o

Nope, just one plant that split into three trunks. Have decided to leave it as is.

thanks, Rob

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here