Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please tell me I have a Black Mission Fig

Posted by jeroldrburrow SoCal 10a (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 11, 10 at 0:20

This fig is from a cutting I found growing wild in a ditch in the Southern California area -- specifically Bonita, CA. I figure, given the popularity of both in SoCal, it's either a Black Mission or Brown Turkey.

Please let me know what you guys think... (Click the picture below to see more pics.)

Unknown Fig June 2010

Thanks!

Jerold Burrow

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please tell me I have a Black Mission Fig

• Posted by mrhappy z8 - Austin, TX (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 11, 10 at 2:32

Really nice leaves.

o

Figs propagated from seeds like yours are NOT LIKELY to be true to its mother's type. Also, there is a 50% chance that tree could also be a male tree producing caprifigs that are not edible. If you want a Black Mission tree, you need to get one cloned propagated from cuttings taken from a known Black Mission fig tree.

Dan

o

I will add,that if it was in a ditch,nobody plant a fruit tree in a ditch,so it is a seadling,coming from a seed for sure.

o

Interesting point. My father in law ate one of the figs from the mother tree (in the ditch) and he said it tasted good. I guess this is why I hadn't thought of the mother tree as being from seed -- rather a discarded plant or something. I hope the figs turn out edible. I planted a couple known varieties just in case -- Panache Tiger Fig and Violette de Bordeaux.

Is it too soon to make an identification? Will I need to provide pictures of the ripe and sliced fruit? Will a positive ID ever possible?

Thanks again for your input!

Jerold

o

Since your tree came from seeds, it is a brand new fig cultivar unlike any other fig in the world. It has its own unique DNA with genes that came from both the mother and the caprifig that pollinated the seeds. This gives your fig tree its own unique growing and fruiting characteristics. If luck is on your side, it could turn out to be a very good fig......only time will tell.

Dan

o

The two Varieties you are growing now ,In California Climate will produce some of the most awsome fruits,on the face of the earth,so I am sure you will have something to compare to,and a hybrid will have a very hard time comparing to Panache and Violette.
What Panache and Violette can dissapoint you is not growing as fast as your new mistery fig wich will be very vigurous,grow twice as fast as the other 2.

o

Thanks everyone for the input! Herman - that's really good to hear about the other two varieties. At least I know I'll be set if the 'wild' fig doesn't pan out. I'll be sure to post back with an update when the fruit is ripe.

Jerold

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here