Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
did a freeze cure my fig tree of fmv

Posted by fernando-grow 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 17, 11 at 0:47

HI FOLKS, I LIVE IN LAFAYETTE LA. AND WE HAD A PRETTY HARD FREEZE THIS WINTER IN WICH I LOST QUIET A FEW YOUNG FIG TREES. MOST OF THEM HAVE RETURNED AND I HAVE ONE IN GENERAL THAT HAS AMAZED ME, IT IS A LATARULLA OR ITALIAN HONEY FIG. I KNEW IT HAD FMV AFTER I PLANTED IT AND ALMOST DUG IT UP TO DESTROYED IT BUT AFTER SEVERAL COMMENTS FROM YOU GUYS I KEPT IT. ANYWAY AFTER THE FREEZE THE TREE CAME BACK AND GREW TALLER THAN BEFORE. IT WAS ONLY TWO YEARS OLD BUT IT SHOWED NO SIGN OF FMV AND IN FACT THE LEAVES ARE DARK GREEN AND HEALTHY. IT IS LOADED WITH FIGS AND HOPEFULLY I'LL GET SOME SOON. HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED THIS? MAYBE THE FREEZE KILLED THE VIRUS AND ALLOWED A HEALTHY TREE TO EMERGE. I DON'T WANT TO START THE VICTORY PARTY TOO SOON OVER THE RECOVERY BUT SO FAR IT'S LOOKING GOOD.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: did a freeze cure my fig tree of fmv

Fernando,

It is not unusual for a fig tree to come back with more vigor after dormancy. Especially here in the South, a tree's roots continue to grow during the dormant period which is why we are told to plant new trees in the fall/winter compared to Spring in the North. As for the FMV, I really doubt your temps got down below what the Northerners experience every winter and their plants are still infected. FMV is tricky because it is not always obvious and often becomes less apparent as the tree ages. Good luck!

o

Fernando:Good News:I had exactly the same experience with the same cultivar.
I think,it is stress what some new fig experience,when young without a strong large root system.
And stress manifest in diformed leaves too,giving the impression,is FMV,symptoms.
I am sure your plant will never return to the bad shape it had in the past.
So Chiers!!

o

• Posted by gorgi z6b_NJ (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 17, 11 at 11:48

Herman,
I also remember you having the same experience
with Ischia Black, which so far is the most FMV
suffering fig I ever had....

o

Yes George but so far Ischia Black is helpless.
It is still one foot tall now(may be).
It has a couple of fruits as large as a small blueberry now,so I think it will ripe them this year.
Last year fruits did not ripe,till frost.

o

• Posted by gorgi z6b_NJ (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 17, 11 at 14:47

Herman,
Due to your observation on the IB; I air/layered/cut-off
my little FMV suffering (UCD) specimen to within
~2 nodes above soil level. Miracle of miracles,
that same year it grew 2 feet
(yes feet, rather than the 1-2 inches it did before).
and seemingly FMV free. Sadly I lost it 2 winters ago.
So, I am now starting back again with the air-layered
remnants. Is it time to give up on Ischia Black?...

o

I think we should look oversee for a healthy specimen,and get cuttings.
I am sure there are a lot of clean,Black Ischia in garden,all over even in the south of USA.

o

My sick ischia black has seen garage temps as low as 6 to 8 in winter it wont die and still stunted.
I posted on other forum about 1 i had in lab for 2 years and it was shipped back but there was no interest in that thread.
Martin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here