Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leon_edmond

Fiorone di Ruvo

leon_edmond
16 years ago

Two years ago I received fig cuttings from a friend in Bari, Italy. One variety is called Fiorone di Ruvo. Here are photos of the first breva figs my potted tree has produced. I have an in-ground tree but it froze back and is not much larger than my potted tree only in bush form.

I just took these photos. When the figs have fully ripened, I will post more pics:

Here are photos of the same fig variety which were sent to me from Italy before I received the cuttings:

Comments (15)

• edarena
    16 years ago

Hello Leon,
    That's one beautiful looking fig; I hope it tastes as good as it looks.
    Ed

• pitangadiego
    16 years ago

Seems a lot like Blue Giant. How is the interior color?

• axier - Z10, Basque Country (Spain)
    16 years ago

Here is one photo of the above breva interior:

16 years ago

I have forgotten to say that my plant is a Fiorone di Ruvo too. Sorry!

• xon2000
    16 years ago

A very beautiful fig and tree.
    Usually size and taste are enemies. Is this the case?
    I have seen that you use an identical finger ring than me.
    IÂm waiting a new book about the Catalonian Fig's to help me to identify our own varieties and their history. I have other Catalonian antique books about how growing, recipes, varieties figs, lexical, fig proverbÂs, Â

• rob5020
    15 years ago

Hello,
    I was wondering has anyone here in the northeast tried this fig and how does it perform?I'm asking about the Fiorone Di Ruvo that Leon has.Thank You

• leon_edmond
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Unfortunately, I no longer have this tree. It never broke dormancy this past season.

• mrhappy
    15 years ago

It's a figging shame that you lost this one. It was a beauty.

• peak42
    15 years ago

I am looking for a fig tree or cutting by the name of FIORONE DI RUVO.I know that ADRIANOS FIG TREE has this fig tree but thay can not ship them to United States.However I do have one source I think.I appreciate any information.

• rob5020
    15 years ago

I'm also looking for a small plant of the Fiorone Di Ruvo and would pay really good for it thank's and God Bless please s=email me at mdusha01@baker.edu.
    Robert

15 years ago

I had Fiorone di Ruvo, it is a nice fig but, according to my experience, it is not a good producer in non-optimum climates. My climate is mild but a little cloudy and rainy, however no problems for other many varieties.

It seems to be a San pedro type fig; no autumn crop if not caprified. The last two years I haven't any Fiorone di Ruvo breva, because of this I decided to discard it. On the contrary, the variety "Gentile" another San pedro variety, gave a decent crop of brevas (so far it is only an small grafted branch), despite it was in a less sunny place.

Fiorone seems to be an excellent variety in its locality of origin (South of Italy) but, as fas as I seen, I don't recommend Fiorone di Ruvo for non sunny climates.

It seems to have better San pedro varieties for cooler climates, like "Desert King" for example (I haven't tested it)

• peak42
    15 years ago

Hello AXIER from Spain,Thank you for your valuable information.I still want to grow FIORONE DI RUVO fig tree in containers as I do with my CELESTE,BLACK JACK,BLACK SPANISH and ATREANO which I just purchased.All of my figs grow very good in Ohio in containers and I get a lot of figs from them.My BLACK JACK fig produces the largest figs,BUT THE FIORNONE DI RUVO produce very large figs.I would be very happy if I got only one crop of these figs only if they taste good.Are there any good varity's in Spain. Thanks Again

• rob5020
    15 years ago

Hey Peak,
    How is your Black Spanish is it similar to Black Jack.Is Black Spanish a large fig?Thank's

• peak42
    15 years ago

Hello rob5020,The black jack and black spanish are both small fig trees and very good for container growing.My black jack and black spanish are different from one another and they have different growth habits and also taste different.The black spanish has much larger figs than the black jack,however I had very large figs from the black jack this the second season.The true and original fig tree of both is from California.Buy them from California or near bye.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor