Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fiorone di Ruvo

Posted by leon_edmond z7NM (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 19, 07 at 1:14

Two years ago I received fig cuttings from a friend in Bari, Italy. One variety is called Fiorone di Ruvo. Here are photos of the first breva figs my potted tree has produced. I have an in-ground tree but it froze back and is not much larger than my potted tree only in bush form.
I just took these photos. When the figs have fully ripened, I will post more pics:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Here are photos of the same fig variety which were sent to me from Italy before I received the cuttings:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fiorone di Ruvo

• Posted by axier (Spain) Zone 9 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 19, 07 at 2:40

Nice brevas Leon!
I had one breva in the first year of my potted plant. In February I rooted one cutting and in Summer I got one breva!
Here are two photos of my plant the past summer. You can see one little autumn fig too. This fig was destroyed by birds or some bug so I can't say how it was.

This year I haven't any breva. It started to grow but it was dropped off by an unusual cold May.

>
>

o

Hello Leon,
That's one beautiful looking fig; I hope it tastes as good as it looks.
Ed

o

Seems a lot like Blue Giant. How is the interior color?

o

Tue, Jun 19, 07 at 16:07

Here is one photo of the above breva interior:

o
RE:Fiorone di Ruvo.

Tue, Jun 19, 07 at 16:16

I have forgotten to say that my plant is a Fiorone di Ruvo too. Sorry!

o

A very beautiful fig and tree.
Usually size and taste are enemies. Is this the case?
I have seen that you use an identical finger ring than me.
Im waiting a new book about the Catalonian Fig's to help me to identify our own varieties and their history. I have other Catalonian antique books about how growing, recipes, varieties figs, lexical, fig proverbs,

o

Hello,
I was wondering has anyone here in the northeast tried this fig and how does it perform?I'm asking about the Fiorone Di Ruvo that Leon has.Thank You

o

Unfortunately, I no longer have this tree. It never broke dormancy this past season.

o

It's a figging shame that you lost this one. It was a beauty.

o

I am looking for a fig tree or cutting by the name of FIORONE DI RUVO.I know that ADRIANOS FIG TREE has this fig tree but thay can not ship them to United States.However I do have one source I think.I appreciate any information.

o

I'm also looking for a small plant of the Fiorone Di Ruvo and would pay really good for it thank's and God Bless please s=email me at mdusha01@baker.edu.
Robert

o

• Posted by axier Zone 9 (Spain) (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 5, 08 at 4:31

I had Fiorone di Ruvo, it is a nice fig but, according to my experience, it is not a good producer in non-optimum climates. My climate is mild but a little cloudy and rainy, however no problems for other many varieties.

It seems to be a San pedro type fig; no autumn crop if not caprified. The last two years I haven't any Fiorone di Ruvo breva, because of this I decided to discard it. On the contrary, the variety "Gentile" another San pedro variety, gave a decent crop of brevas (so far it is only an small grafted branch), despite it was in a less sunny place.

Fiorone seems to be an excellent variety in its locality of origin (South of Italy) but, as fas as I seen, I don't recommend Fiorone di Ruvo for non sunny climates.

It seems to have better San pedro varieties for cooler climates, like "Desert King" for example (I haven't tested it)

o

Hello AXIER from Spain,Thank you for your valuable information.I still want to grow FIORONE DI RUVO fig tree in containers as I do with my CELESTE,BLACK JACK,BLACK SPANISH and ATREANO which I just purchased.All of my figs grow very good in Ohio in containers and I get a lot of figs from them.My BLACK JACK fig produces the largest figs,BUT THE FIORNONE DI RUVO produce very large figs.I would be very happy if I got only one crop of these figs only if they taste good.Are there any good varity's in Spain. Thanks Again

o

Hey Peak,
How is your Black Spanish is it similar to Black Jack.Is Black Spanish a large fig?Thank's

o

Hello rob5020,The black jack and black spanish are both small fig trees and very good for container growing.My black jack and black spanish are different from one another and they have different growth habits and also taste different.The black spanish has much larger figs than the black jack,however I had very large figs from the black jack this the second season.The true and original fig tree of both is from California.Buy them from California or near bye.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here