Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jll0306

Frost Killed Trees coming back?

jll0306
11 years ago

Last year I kept two new fig trees in 30 gallon pots through the summer and winter. I transplanted the Flanders fig to a spot in the ground this spring, before it broke dormancy. The other was a cutting from a tree a friend described as a 'small tree with delicious black plums" that I will leave in the container on a permanent basis, with periodic root pruning.

Though we have had warm days for months now, our nights only reached a consistent 45+ degrees in mid-April and I expected the trees to break dormancy by the first of May, but it was only ten days or so ago that I started to see new growth. However, I am concerned because all of it is coming from the base of the tree, none is appearing on last years' wood.

I thought trees in Zone 8 did not need extra protection in order to winter over safely, but I fear the old wood has died back completely.

Should let the new bushy growth continue until the trees go dormant again, before I prune and shape them? Or can I take some of the new branches off earlier and root them now?

Thank you for any help you may be able to give.

Jan

Comments (4)