Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonsaist

Rooting softwood fig cuttings.

bonsaist
12 years ago

Hello,

A put together a quick tutorial on how to root softwood fig cuttings in Summer. I am sure you'll find it useful.

Bass

Here is a link that might be useful: Rooting softwood fig cuttings.

Comments (13)

• noss
    12 years ago

Thanks Bass, for the instructions and the pictures. I've been trying to root a green cutting that got knocked off of my White Triana, in a glass of water and it's not showing any roots and it's been weeks. It's getting skinnier, but the little leaves are still doing well and the tip bud looks nice and healthy, still.

I'll try your method and see how it does.

Thanks,

noss

• fernando_grow
    12 years ago

hey bass, that is an interesting article you posted on propagating soft cutting. only last week i tossed some hollier soft cuttings because i've never tried to propagate on green cuttings. it looks simple enough, i'll give it a try. noss, i never thought about sliding you some green hollier cuttings. i was going to put the woody cuttings in the fridge until spring then then try them. thanks for the article bass.
    fernando

• noss
    12 years ago

Hi Fernando,

Let us know how the green cuttings do.

noss

• theman7676
    12 years ago

question - if i have a plant i want to take a cutting and root, should i wait for it to be dormant and take the cutting or is it just the same to take a softwood cutting now and try along bass's instruction?
    what are the best success chances?

• oregonwoodsmoke
    12 years ago

Is the tree so small that you can't take a cutting (or 2 ) now and try to root. Then when the tree is dormant, try a different method in the spring.

And try an air layer while you are experimenting.

• bonsaist
    Original Author
    12 years ago

If the tree is large enough to take softwood cuttings you can give that a try. As far as the best success rate it would probably be rooting using dormant cuttings, since it doesn't need the increased humidity.

Bass

• Claudia Damasceno
    7 years ago

Thanks for your tips, Fernando! You wrote a great article.

• KB
    6 years ago

If anyone is still checking this forum, I am looking for info on how to root softwood fig cuttings. The link from Bass no longer works. Thanks!

• dieseler
    6 years ago

KB he posted a few post up this

bonsaist(Z6/ Bethlehem, Pa)

If
    the tree is large enough to take softwood cuttings you can give that a
    try. As far as the best success rate it would probably be rooting using
    dormant cuttings, since it doesn't need the increased humidity.

Bass

You may have better luck with hardwood cuttings and or airlayering on plant which works very well.

The link is gone yes.

Martin

• KB
    6 years ago
    Thanks for the tips! I want to try softwood cuttings because my fig tree will be removed later in the summer so I won't get a chance to get hardwood cuttings. I have never tried propagating a fig tree before using any method so am looking for a good tutorial on how to do it.
  • noss
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

KB,

If I were you, I'd be putting air layers all over the tree to get new trees I could continue with. Is this not your tree? I don't see any real information about the tree that we can work on, but I'm not here very much. I'm all for seeing someone preserve their tree with figs they like, so I hope you will try air layers. I don't know how to navigate this place anymore, so there may be much more information about this subject. Good luck with whatever method you try.

Why is your tree being removed?

noss

• noss
    6 years ago

You should do the fresh cuttings as well. Hedge your bets and good luck with both. :D

noss