Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
effdeevee

somebody, please ....... write a fig-growing book !!!!!

effdeevee
15 years ago

Wanted:

One, spiral-bound, compilation of "FIG-GROWING TIPS". I have searched the world over for such a publication, but alas, ... no such book exists.

A book on growing figs, perhaps broken down into sections covering each season, propagating methods, and general culture would be most useful!

Just a wishful thinking ........

Comments (12)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

I know absolutely nothing about any of these books, but here are a few you might look into. They may not be what you are looking for, but who knows.....

From Amazon.com:

Nutshell Guide to Growing Figs: Everything You Need to Know in a Nutshell ( available used )( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nutshell-Guide-Growing-Figs-Everything/dp/0954460715 )

From NAFEX library ( http://www.nafex.org/librylstfl97.html#fig ):

FIG CHARACTERISTICS USEFUL IN IDENTIFICATION OF VARIETY, 1941, 99, bound with FIG VARIETIES, 1955, 215 Condit, Ira J.

THE FIG (history, culture, curing, vars.), 1901, 317L Eisen, Gustav

THE FIG (biology, history, culture, utilization, Calif.),1977, 94L Storey, Wm. B. et al

And here's more:

Condit. I. J. The Fig. Waltham, Mass., Chronica Botanica Co., 1947.

Condit, I. J. Fig Culture in California. Extension Service Circular 77, 1933.

Condit, I. J. Fig Varieties: A Monograph. Hilgardia 23:11 (Feb 1955).

Eisen, G. The Fig - Its History, Culture and Curing. U.S. Department of Agriculture Bulletin 9 . 1901.

Eisen, G. and F. S. Earle. Fig Culture. U.S. Department of Agriculture Bulletin 5, 1897.

Schurrie, H. The Fig. Timber Press Horticultural Reviews 12:409 (1990)

Starnes, H. N. The Fig in Georgia. Georgia Experiment Station Bulletin 61, 1903.

Starnes, H. N. and J. F, Monroe. The Fig in Georgia. (2nd Report). Georgia Experiment Station Bulletin 77.

And, as I'm sure you know, there are hundreds of books that deal with figs as part of a larger work on different types of fruits or trees.

• johnsvmf
    15 years ago

There is a product out there exactly as you requested for $11.00 delivered your home (if you live in the USA).

The Fig Booklet written by Ray Givans with Fred W. Born. It is a 36 page (8 1/2 x 11") how-to guide crammed with useful information on growing and using figs as well as a more extensive varieties list than those on his website.

http://home.planters.net/~thegivans/salelist.html

Good luck!

• effdeevee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dear FF Members:

Thank you for responding so quickly, and for giving me some choices.

I'm not familiar with the first booklet that you have suggested, and perhaps it may fit the bill, but the other selections are not even relevant. The information contained in these books has to be so outdated, as to be useless. I sent for the Givan book, and it too needs updating. I's mostly a rehash of what's already on the web.

Thanks anyway, FDV

• ottawan_z5a
    15 years ago

Hi
    I ordered Ray Givans "Fig Booklet" on May 17 and paid through Paypall. A month later I still have not received the Booklet. Has anybody else experienced similar delay(s).

• johnsvmf
    15 years ago

I recall a similar delay when I ordered mine. The wait was worth it:)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

Effdeevee,

Is there particular information that you are looking for that you aren't able to find on the web? When you say, "...and it too needs updating. I(t)'s mostly a rehash of what's already on the web", it sounds like you are saying that what's on the web is outdated. While I'm sure you can find outdated information on the web (like my list of books, LOL), I would think you should also be able to find most cutting edge information too. I would expect to find more general long-proven information in books, and would depend on the web for the latest advancements and results of recent study.

• effdeevee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

brandon7:

Your're right when you say that the most current information regarding the growing of figs can be found on the web. Actually, it was within this forum, that I found the most up-to-date information, and, more importantly, information/growing suggestions, etc., gained through the experiences of other growers.

Most of what I have read, or learned from reading through all the past, and, current postings within this forum, is nowhere to be found in most of the books that are being sold at garden centers, or, nurseries.

I guess it was just wishful thinking on my part to want all the great, fig-growing suggestions, posted in this forum, to be compiled, and printed up, in some kind of book format. For me, leafing through a reference book is easier than searching on the web.

Anyway,I guess I'll just continue to search for specific info. within this forum.

Thanks for offering a response.

cordially, Frank

• johnsvmf
    15 years ago

Frank, I hope my comments are not taken the wrong way but from what I have read in this string, the information you requested is clearly articulated in Mr. Givans book. Additionally, most of the fig fanatics on this forum simply repeat the lessons Mr. Givans provides, however the book goes into greater detail. There are some typos in Mr. Givans' book but the content is clearly shared in an easily understandable manner and the book is condensed for the reader who desires to get straight to the point.

• baust55
    11 years ago

i tried to check into ray givans book but all links broken .

has any new books became avalable latly

• fignewbies
    11 years ago

Hi,

If you don't mind a pricer book of fig growing:

http://www.stevenbiggs.com/books/

• fignewbies
    11 years ago

Hi,

About ray givans book of fig, see post on the
    other forum:

http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox.com/post/Ray-Givans-Fig-Site-active-5748537

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    11 years ago

Wow...I forgot I even started this thread back in 2008.

Now that I have a few years of successful fig growing under my belt, I can honestly say that this Garden-Web "Fig Forum", and the "Figs4Fun" Forum have the most up-to-date information covering all aspects of fig growing. You just do a search for the specific subject, and you will be able to read many postings regarding the information that you seek. Both forums cover, culture, pruning, fertilizing, varietal information, sources, etc.

Growing fig trees is not hard, and basic, good cultural practices will bring you to within 98% of your goal. Common sense, and a little research will take care of the other 2%. For those growers in cooler areas, I urge you to read and understand how to keep your fig trees alive from season to season. This is one specific area of fig culture that causes the most grief for many growers.

The Fig Forums are the single best sources for all your fig growing information. They are living textbooks, and new chapters are written, amended, and corrected, everyday.

Forget the books.

My thoughts.

Frank

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County