Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terry_upstate_ny

Best option to remove large sick leaf above figlet?

terry_upstate_ny
11 years ago

My Chicago Hardy fig tree is about 3 yrsold and this is the first time

it has figlets. The largest figlet is right under a very large leaf that has yellowed over the past week. Will it weaken the fig if l l remove the leaf? I'm not sure why the leaf changed color. We have had a lot of rain. I have also been spraying with organacide (sesame

seed oil) and Neel oil a little./

Comments (7)

• eukofios
    11 years ago

I think if the leaf dies it will just fall off. I doubt it will do any harm. Hard to say.

• noss
    11 years ago

Hi Terry,

How come you've been spraying with the organicide? Are you spraying the tree? If so, what kind of pests have you seen on the tree?

I've been told if you spray oil onto leaves and the plant is in the sun, that could cause problems in the heat.

noss

• herman2_gw
    11 years ago

Of course spraying will cause problems to leaves.
    That is because Ficus Carica does not need spraying,unless in very very humid rainy areas of the deep south,and ,Even there it will be a better way to thin the canopy ,to provide better aeration than to spray

• budbackeast
    11 years ago

Hye herman2:

I live in Tampa Bay. We just had four days of almost solid rain, totalling nearly ten inches. That was a lot, even by our tropical standards.

I now have eight fig trees in the ground, well mulched. So my questions are:

1. Should I expect mildew, and is there any organic treatment?
    2. Will all that water adversely affect the trees?
    3. Should I remove any leaves which develop brown spots?

• herman2_gw
    11 years ago

Mildew forms for 2 reason:
    Too much water for too long in the air.
    Too many leaves and branches on the tree and lack of wind to dry them.
    Yes Bordeaux mixture is classified as organic spray.
    Today in Commerce it is hard to find Bordeaux mixture here in the USA,but you will find a substitute called cooper sulfate spray,and they say on the container it works just like the original Bordeaux mixture.
    If you want good results thin branches in the Spring in such a way that a bird like American robin can fly trough the branches without touching them with the wings.
    If you do that then later in the Summer the leaves will stay on branches.

• terry_upstate_ny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I. have been spraying my grape vines which are nearby and some of the spray drifted over to the figs. I sprayed the figs a little because some of the leaves were being eaten by something. I get a lot of insects in my garden because it is near a forest. All sorts of moths fly over...today we had a dragonfly visit.

• terry_upstate_ny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I. have been spraying my grape vines which are nearby and some of the spray drifted over to the figs. I sprayed the figs a little because some of the leaves were being eaten by something. I get a lot of insects in my garden because it is near a forest. All sorts of moths fly over...today we had a dragonfly visit.