Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantlover13

Help me pick a fig!

plantlover13
10 years ago

Ok, so here's the deal.

I am thinking about getting a fig tree in the fall (never grown one before) and i want to know what the best choice would be for my situation. See, i don't exactly live in prime fig territory, so there are a few conditions that i need to be met. I also can only grow ONE fig variety, not really ideal, i know :) here are the conditions...

tree will be grown in a container. I don't have space for it anywhere, so i need a variety that responds fine to pruning, and will bear good fruits when still small.

tree will need to finish bearing and go dormant by late october at the MAX, when the poor tree will be dragged into my garage for a long, dark winter of about 40-50 degrees farenheit.

the tree will need to be resistant to rain. i know that there are a lot of figs that will lose their fruit in rain. Here, the summer climate generally involves at least one storm every week.

oh, yeah, it has to be GREAT TASTING! i don't want to grow a fig tree that gives me tons of inedible fruit. Taste is actually my main factor here, i really want a great tasting fig.

So, thanks for any help!

Comments (10)

• fignewbies
    10 years ago

Hi,

After growing just 1 fig tree, you would want to have another fig tree around. It is as if having 1 child and you say to yourself: "Oh, I want to have another ONE!" It is addictive!
    I had just 1 fig tree and now there are 4 more fig babies added to the collection!

• plantlover13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Trust me on this, i already want more than one. i also want a hundred acres of mangoes, a thousand lychees, miles upon square miles of free, fertile land to plant whatever i want.

unfortunately, mother nature chose to impose upon me the conditions that were stated above. one tree is all that i can handle, maybe two at the max. However, that is not likely, as there are a million other things i want to grow and i need space for at least 3 of them :) BUt i want a fig, so i only want to grow something that i will never regret. From what it seems, black turkey i would regret rather quickly. Hence this post.

I am so envious of all of you that can grow so much...

• plantlover13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

IT seems that Violette de bordeux (did i spell that right?) is a good choice. Say whats the differece between VdB and Negronne?

• fignewbies
    10 years ago

Hi, plantlover13:

I surely can understand all the requirements of a fig tree in your case because that is what I always wanted for a fig tree
    except for the "Here, the summer climate generally involves at least one storm every week", I don't have this storm problem!

As I don't have the fig varieties you've mentioned, I cannot tell you details on the subject. But there are many fig growers who might have this variety!

• fruity123
    10 years ago

I would recommand desert king. It doesn't care how much rain it get. In Vancouver, BC, we get A LOT of rain but the desert king thrives here. It bears a heavy breba(first crop) crop as this would help with your short growin g season. Desrt king also very good tasting fruit.(my favorite!)

• plantlover13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmm, so from this thread and google searches, it seems that VdB/negronne, hardy chicago, and desert king would be my top three. other suggestions?

• plantlover13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@ fignewbies:

yeah, the storm thing is vexing. First, it gets crazy hot. Then, the cold front hits. Repeat. a real pain.

Anyway, i think i am going to go for a negronne. What are some good sources for fig trees?

Thanks.

• terry_upstate_ny
    10 years ago

You can try ebay for fig trees. Also, Bill's Fig Farm in Flemington NJ has lots of varieties and he can make recommendations for your area. If you are near there it is worth the trip.
    Terry

• plantlover13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks all

• fignewbies
    10 years ago

Hi, plantlover13:

You can see a post from the other forum:
    http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox.com/post/Best-figs-at-your-location-4800578?trail=200

A lot of interesting information to read!