Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
giants_2007

Conadria picture

giants_2007
13 years ago

I just took this photo this morning. This fig started to swell yesterday and got a little larger over night. The few figs I got from this tree last year were very good even though they ripened late(DEC) as it was in it's first year. I will update post when I get to pick this one

Comments (10)

• danab_z9_la
    13 years ago

I don't have that one in my collection but I hear that it is very good. Would be nice to later see the eye

Dan

• giants_2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dan Just checked fig this morning and it has swelled some more the skin looks like it is stating to expand like blowing up a latex balloon and the walls getting thiner. There is another fig under this one which is starting to swell also. I will try to update showing eye and inside when I pick
    Sal

• dieseler
    13 years ago

Its nice to see pictures of beautiful plants and now some ripe figs in Florida and Louisiana from members ( thanks for the tease !) Keep em coming please.

Than later in season its my turn shoot i can wait though because then cold will be right around corner.
    Martin

• giants_2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK SOME ONE HELP AND SAY NO, NO, NO, NO, NOT YET, WE JUST GOT SOME RAIN 1/2-3/4 INCH OF RAIN IN AN HOUR AND THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED ( In A tooo Days Italian U no) ;o) I donwanna pick today Just say NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• ejp3
    13 years ago

With cracks like that, thats the way I like them. I wouldn'nt pick if before it starts to crack. No splitting is good. Most other figs would have split from so much rain. Good luck

• giants_2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well after a much needed rain and expecting some more today I decided it was time to pick this morning 7/3/10 8:41 AM ;o)
    weight= 97grams 3.46 ounces
    I was surprised that the pulp was an amber pink compared to the deep red purple it showed last season. Taste was good, rich, sweet, thick honey fruity taste, good seed crunch, thin skin. Possibly could have waited another day or two as it had a white thick rind but not tough at all. hope you enjoy as my wife and I did. Will wait longer on next one

Enjoy Sal

• danab_z9_la
    13 years ago

Eye candy for sure. I like the fact that the interior of this large fig is full with no void inside of the pulp. If it is good now, it can only get better as the tree matures. Thanks for posting.

Dan

• johnsvmf
    13 years ago

Dan,

My wife and I ate 3 breba off our Conadria today and they were fantastic. I have had it for 3 years and it is a bushy 3 foot tree. I don't recall having any breba off the plant previously but I have had very good main crop figs off the plant.

This is the year I start culling the trees from my collection that don't prove their worth, however, the Condaria is definately on the keeper list.

Thanks
    Vinnie

• danab_z9_la
    13 years ago

Thanks for that info. I've been hearing real good reports on Conadria and wish I had the room to grow one.

Recently I ran across another black unknown Louisiana heirloom fig. My intial guess is that it is a French fig. I really don't have any room for more trees; however, I could not help but add it to my collection. More land is what I need and I am trying to find some. When I do, I will be adding Condit's Conadria.

Dan

• giants_2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is a very good tasting fig and couple that with its size and sealed eye and resistance to splitting and souring IT IS A Keeper. I am a little confused on the pulp color as compared to last season and could just be that I picked to soon as last year they were almost tear drop shape when I picked full ripeness for sure as this pick will show how much thinner the rind and how more developed the pulp was. I have a few more swelling and will not pick so soon no matter what the rain forecast is.
    Any one else experience different pulp color on same tree from fruit to fruit???