Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danab_z9_la

Fig Sandwiches

danab_z9_la
13 years ago

1 (8oz) package, cream cheese, softened

1 cup of mashed fig preserves (or fig jam)

1 teaspoon lemon pepper

1/2 cup chopped pecans

1 loaf thin sliced bread

Mix cream cheese, figs, and lemon pepper. Spread about one heaping tablespoon of cream cheese mixture on each slice of bread. Sprinkle chopped pecans on half of the bread slices. Top with remaining slices of bread. Chill. Using an electric knife, trim crust, if desired and cut into triangles.

Dan

Comments (10)

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    13 years ago

Sounds delish! I'd probably not use jam, just fresh figs wrapped in a damp cloth and chilled so they can easily slice, and kick it up with some arugula for a touch of green. Arugula is peppery on it's own, so might not need the lemon pepper, but sprinkle some lemon zest on there... WOW!!

• danab_z9_la
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Now we have a Cajun way and a neat California way to enjoy our figs.

Dan

13 years ago

Dano! You are a Cajun? Oh my!!

Better than Asian Confusion!! Cajufornia!!

Suzi

• danab_z9_la
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is very good with LSU Gold or Black Mission figs......

Grilled Figs:

8 LSU Gold figs (or Black Mission)
    1/2 cup Gorgonzola cheese, softened
    2 Tbs honey
    1/4 cup chopped pecans
    1 Tbs Balsamic vinegar (or Balsamic Vinegar Glaze)
    2 tsp Rosemary (optional)
    8 slices of prosciutto

Cut three quarters the way down thru the figs (not all the way through). In a small bowl mix Gorgonzola, pecans, balsamic vinegar, honey and rosemary (optional). Then stuff each fig with this mixture, pressing lightly to fill. Carefully wrap each fig with one slice of prosciutto. Use a tooth pick to hold in place. Place on a somewhat cool grill, close the lid, and cook until the cheese melts and the prosciutto is crispy. This will take about 5 minutes. Drizzle with some Balsamic Vinegar GLAZE if you have it......if not, use a bit more Balsamic Vinegar.

Serves one Cajun or 4 regular people.

Dan

• girlbug2
    13 years ago

Sounds deluxe Dan!

Have you tried this with any other cheese than Gorgonzola? Do you think there might be a good substitute (I am not fond of gorgonzola)

• danab_z9_la
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Goat cheese is good too. But, personally I rather the sharpness of the Gorgonzola. In my post above I should have said........

"Serves 1 Cajun, or 4 Italians, or 8 regular people".

Dan

• dieseler
    13 years ago

Um Dan ,
    4 Italians would look at you rather confused if you brought them out plate with only 8 stuffed mission figs.
    No way.
    Im small but that fig recipe would just be a snack for me and most others i know .
    Now if your talking about 8 figs like these in picture below which would be slightly over 2 pounds as these 2 weighed over 1/2 pound then that would be very very filling with all the cheese it would take to stuff.
    {{gwi:785101}}

A plate like this for example skin and all (couple dozen) is good healthy breakfast with no side effects later on for me.
    Cant wait too eat my share again this season.
    {{gwi:785103}}

Martin

• giants_2007
    13 years ago

Martin LMFAO
    Sal

• danab_z9_la
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I know that many of you Italians love your figs even more than us Cajuns! This Cajun would never go through all of the trouble of burying a fig tree each winter in order to get DEM figs. In South Louisiana, we don't bury our deceased in the ground much less a fig tree.

Dan

13 years ago

A cajun must have a grill, correct? and we are all so earthy, we do have sourdough starter, correct? So equal parts starter and flour + some salt and olive oil, makes good pizza dough. Knead it, Let it rise, Knead again, and flip and wish (or roll) into your pizza dough.

Now. grill one side on high. take it off, and top with siced figs, procuitto, fresh basil, and fresh bufallo mozzarela. Back on the grill on low til the cheese melts. Yummmm!!

Pizza on the grill is a science. But figs have their place in a pizza!

Enjoy!
    Suzi