Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susie100_gw

new fig tree care-giver

susie100
12 years ago

Just brought home a small fig tree from Lowe's. It's a Chicago Hardy fig, about 2' tall. I live in southern Ohio, plan to keep it in a pot on the balcony of my condo. What should I do first? Should I repot it from the Lowe's container? When should I fertilize it and with what? Any type of spray for pests? Is my unheated garage okay for winter keeping? Should I wrap it up in the garage in winter, water, or fertilize it? Thanks for your advice.

Comments (9)

• rafed
    12 years ago

Hello susie100,

Congrats on your new fig tree.

You picked a nice and hardy variant of the bunch but I must warn you, figs are or could be addictive and you could have many more later in the future.

You are asking all the right questions so I will answer as best as I can.

As for the re-potting;
    I would go ahead and re-pot to a larger pot. I have done this many times during mid season without issues. Be sure to use a good draining potting mix. Yes some of the leaves might wilt for a day or two but spring right back. Just keep away from the direct Sun for a few days.

Now others might argue this practice and advise you to wait till darmant.
    That's fine, you have your options.

As for the fertilizing;
    You can give it a light dose if you want.
    You may you 20-20-20 0r the 3,1,2 ratio or what ever.
    Do your research for your zone and work with that. Not that difficult.

Storage;
    Is your garage attached?
    If so, you are in luck!
    You can place it in the garage but place it in the side where it is at the part of the house. Cover lightly and water lightly once or twice a month to keep the roots from drying out.

Figs are mostly pest free but from time to time you will have an issue with a bug or two.

Good luck
    Rafed

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    12 years ago

Susie100,
    I just bought that same fig plant at lowes today in their clearance area.they had four, think I'd like one more.I live up by the lake, gets cold here in the winter. I guess I will have to bring mine inside, but if it's hardy will it hurt in an unheated garage,not attached.?
    Sharon

• susie100
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello, Sharon, since I am new to caring for fig trees, I would follow Rafed's advice as noted above. However, I have read (and maybe Rafed can add to this and correct me if I am in error) that if the temperature in the garage were to go lower than 20 degrees Fahrenheit, that you would want to wrap, or insulate, the fig tree with an old quilt or tree wrap to protect it from the cold.

• sergnic
    12 years ago

I'm writing from Italy, and i'm not so informed about cold.
    However: Young fig tree bears without problem 4-6 celsius degrees under zero, (may be 21-22 F).
    Is important that the pot rests on (in contact) to the floor (especially if the floor is supported on the ground).
    I have seen interesting covers to allow the relative "warmth" of the floor can remain under a sealed cartboard bell covering the plant.
    (remember that the ground under a few feet can be that is not frozen, especially in a garage on the side of the house).

I remember an old fig tree in the ground, if it has poor soil (when a tree is certainly very poor soil) and not too wet to stand at -18 � C (0 � F).

I remember that too much nitrogen fertilizer, poor sun radiation, and excess water are harmful to the resistance to cold.
    In London, the temperature rarely drops below zero Celsius 30-32 F, but the excess moisture does find figs filled with sap, and then moderate frosts are deadly.
    In Switzerland, the plants on steep slopes and sunny, have a hardwood such as a bone, very strong and resistant to frost.

In particular I have seen too rich and too soft soil in the pots, good soil for the fig tree is a good percentage of heavy soil and a little peat, have no concern that the fig tree grows slowly.

At the end of the summer to reduce watering!, and NOT manure, and care very much that the fig tree takes a lot of sun. The wood must be hard; not to be herbaceous.

Do not conserve the pot on temperature upper than 45 F.

Congratulations on your commitment in botanist!
    My regards to loslunafarms and Giuseppe, my dear friends!
    Sergio

• sergnic
    12 years ago

Of course "do not conserve the pot on temperature upper 45 F": in winter!!!, for do not break dormancy. In summer fig bears 135 F...

• susie100
    Original Author
    12 years ago

sergnic, thanks very much for the fig care advice. I will file it in my "taking care of figs" file to reference. It's very much appreciated.

• cinisi
    12 years ago

Sue
    I live just south of you in West Chester. I have wintered my figs in pots in my garage forever, and have never lost one. I also bought a Chicago Hardy at Lowes this spring and repotted it almost immediately, Next year it goes in the ground.

• susie100
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the information, Stunato; nice to know. Good luck with yours.

• happycatpaws_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I bought 2 at Lowes this year too (Chicago figs). I planted mine in my garden and not sure what to do at the end of the summer. So far they are doing fine and are starting to develop small fruits on them (yea!). I have read two different things, to cut them back at the end of the growing season because they fruit on new wood. I also read that they fruit on the last year's wood, so don't cut them back. I was told they do both. What is the best strategy, to cut or not to cut. To pot up and store inside, or in Zone 6 will they survive to just heavily mulch them?

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert