Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
found fig

Posted by catlady4444 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 9, 11 at 11:55

Hello,
I moved into a rental house in April and would love some help with a fig tree.
The house is 150 years old, and all the plantings are horribly neglected (vine covered, weedy, overcrowded.) I didn't realize there was a fig until May, when it was covered in breba. I immediately fertilized, watered, and weeded around it. The figs have grown to what I assume is full size---none ripe, though. But now it's making more breba. Is this OK? Is is bad?

I have already potted up some little baby plants around it to take with me when I leave, but I'd like to make this year as productive as possible. This is partly for the owner of the house, but mostly for me, to ease the pain of having to leave my own garden where my figs are being horribly neglected! : (

Any help would be appreciated!

Ann
Loudoun County, VA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: found fig

It is OK:It looks like your tree has good breba crop,and frost was light last winter.
Good for you

o

Ann, it sounds like your tree is bifara, meanining it produces a breba and main crop. Very common. Just keep it weeded and water as needed. Good luck and enjoy!

o

I have never had this before---is it normal for it to start producing the main crop before breba are ripe? And isn't it very early for the main crop to start?
I was worried I somehow triggered more breba!)

Thank you!

Ann

o

Ann,

The breba crop forms on previous year's wood (hard) and main crop forms on current year's growth (new/green). The can grow simultaneously. Not all figs do this and some only ripen the breba. Your tree will be fine. Fertilizing in-ground figs is usually not necessary unless the soil is very sandy and it IS possible to over-fertilize (with Nitrogen) but the result is that you get lush growth but few/no fruit. Good luck!

o

Awesome--thank you!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here