Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Houston, we have ripeness

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 19, 12 at 11:56

well, almost. The first few have turned brown/purple. I'd need a ladder to get those, if I do. I saw several birds and a couple squirrels checking on them, too. That's fine, when they really come on, there's buckets of them every day, no ladder needed since there's more then enough that are reachable.

We love them, an especially tasty free food (and nice looking trees!) One can only eat so many... and so much jam, pork chops simmered with figs, ice cream with figs, fig shakes, figgy meatloaf, fruit salad, fig & cheese tarts... Can't give all of the rest away. Thanks to previous occupants at my house and at other family members' houses, neighbors, they're everywhere.

Are you ready? Do you have too many or not enough? What other ways do you use them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Houston, we have ripeness

Well the tree at the empty house next door is maturing slightly faster, from being in more sun I guess. Was going to pick a few today but the guy from the lawnmower shop across the street (who mows my front for free) beat me to it. Glad I saw him so I know someone wants those. That's 1 less tree to feel like I should pick & do something with. Free food rocks!

o

Doesn't anybody else EAT the figs?

o

All those fig recipes probably have all of us northern fig growers a bit envious. I am in NY and just getting figlets on my potted figs...but no need to start a civil war over this :) wewould luv some fresh figs shipped up here!
Terry

o

Hmmm, war is a far cry from recipe ideas, no doubt. Seems like a lot of trouble if it's not yielding enough figs for anybody to have any input about eating them. Wish they would ship - I have plenty of people back in OH who would like some. Sorry.

o

I eat mine and take a few bowls to share at work. I have a food dehydrator and dry figs, store the dried figs in the fridge and eat them in the winter. Drying concentrates the sugars and makes them chewy. For me figs are too special to dilute in recipes, but that's just me. My crops are never to huge at one moment - I keep the trees small and have multiple varieties to spread out the crop.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here