Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
herman2_gw

Figlets,on June -14 - 08

herman2_gw
15 years ago

These are the varieties that will ripe for sure in New Jersey Climate.

Comments (13)

• loslunasfarms
    15 years ago

Of the top of my head, mine are:
    VdB (Fred Born)
    Violetta
    Aldos Sicilian Black FIg, a few brebas are ripening.
    Texas Everbearing
    Peters Honey
    Sicilian Black
    11600 Street Fig (very large)

The rest of my trees show fig initials.

• dieseler
    15 years ago

The figs that ripen for me just south of chicago are Sal's, Chicago Hardy, a so called Celeste which i doubt is a Celeste as the figs are huge and the taste is different from the rest,but this one does not ripe all the figs but enough to enjoy. A unknown italian one direct from Bari Italy has yet to have ripe figs yet hopefully this year.

• herman2_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Guys:My point is that ,any fig that allready formed visible fruits (main crop),on this date,will for sure have enough time to get ripe till 20th. of Oct(end of growing season here).There are about 125 days till then,and the fig needs about 75-80 days of fruit growing, in order to ripe the fruit.
    Best Regards

• oxankle
    15 years ago

Thank You Herman!!!!
    You've taught me what I really wanted to know. My season will be very much like yours, perhaps a bit hotter and more dry in July and August. The weather moderates in September but will not really cool off until November. If we need 80 days to grow and ripen a fig then anything that appears between now and the end of July here should ripen.
    Ox

• herman2_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OX:You are right in part.
    Because,the fig that will form fruits at the end of July,will ripe only about half of fruits,and the rest will just end up green,at the end of Season.
    The figs that start fruits early,in June will ripe 90 -100 percent of fruits,so that is the difference.
    And all this is conditioned,to how much sun the fig receive,and my estimation,is when a fig grow in full sun as it should be in our climate.
    Best Regards

• goodground
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info Herman!
    No figlets yet on my Celeste here in NW NJ.
    Hopefully, it will start fruiting soon.

• chills71
    15 years ago

I've got little figs forming on Black Mission, Golden Celeste, Calvert and one other (I just don't recall which one). All of these are in 5 gal pails. My one in the ground has just recently made some good growth, so I'm optimistic that it might show me something this year.

~Chills

• herman2_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Goodground? I wonder if you pinched after sixth leaf,and if you removed the breba as soon as you noticed it.
    Because if you did not,then that is WHY,you do not have figlets on Celeste at this time.
    Another cause might be not enough sun.
    Today I have visible figlets,on Adriatic,UCD,wich is a more tardive fig.And is very sick with fig mosaic.
    Best Regards

• goodground
    15 years ago

I left the tree underground for the first time this winter and did not get any brebas this spring. I pinched the tips a few days ago to encourage outward growth so we'll see. I'm still hoping for a main crop. The tree is growing really well. I think it only gets about 4 hours of sun but it already fruited in that location. All I could do is hope!

• herman2_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Goodground:It all make sense.
    Your tree got minimum sun,so it fruits a little later,yet ,still soon enough that it will have enough time to get ripe.
    You are all right.
    My figs are in almost full sun,so that is why they fruit earlier.
    Best Regards

• alexnjzone7
    15 years ago

I am not sure what type of fig I have. I picked it up at Lowe's earlier this year. It has 2 figs growing in it right now which are getting quite large. The color of the figs is a light greenish. Can you help me ID it? Thanks.

• goodground
    15 years ago

Lo and behold. After my post earlier, I went out to check the fig tree (as I have been every day),
    and what do you know? : )

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:785924}}

• dangsr_grow
    15 years ago

I have a Celeste fig tree that is about 8 years old and I have been trying to get a good crop from it, but never so much. Well I found the problem has been that it was not getting enough water, so I have been keeping it well watered and have a real good crop on it that are now about half the size of a ripe fig, and while watering it today I saw a lot of tiny figs just showing up at places that there isnt a fig and they are about the size of a BB shot. Hope they make it before frost.

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer