Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fig fever in Europe

Posted by recarica (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 6, 10 at 12:21

Hi, I live about 70 miles from Brussels in Belgium.

Many of you will recognize this story. It started with one fig tree. Then I got fig fever

First of all, I hope I dont make to many English Language mistakes

I try to grow several kinds of fruits in our garden, apples, pears, plums, almonds, cherrys, nuts, currants, grapes but became addicted on growing figs.
It became worse when I met my wife whos parents are Greek. Each year in august we go to her family over there fruit and fig heaven.

I grow figs in pots and have some planted in garden, some in soil, some in pots in soil, some in self-made earth boxes. I like to do some experimenting
In the neighbourhood there are e few bigger fig trees, in a wall-protected garden. With climate heating up more people try to grow them.
Last 20 years temperature didnt go below 10 Fahrenheit. Last year they dropped 0 Fahrenheit and most of imported olive or fig trees from the mediteranean area died. I dont know precisely which climate zone it is over here, winter protection is certainly necessary. Thats why I grow most my figs in pots which in winter I put in my garden house.

I try to grow figs that are a bit cold hardy + out of cuttings from France, Italy and Greece.

A few pictures

This is our backgarden.
Edible garden

A few of the fig trees, i hope you enjoy
Fig trees

Brunswick with brebas

Brunswick with breba figs

Doree

Goute d'

Del Portogallo

Del Portogalle
Cerreto

Cerreto

Madeleine de deux saisons

Madeleine de deux saison's

Alicon
Alicon

Negronne

Brown Turkey & Hardy Chicago (froze down last year)

BT & H chicago

Galbun in self watering container
Galbun in self watering contai

Newly planted Sultane with root restriction

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fig fever in Europe

Thank you for the pictures recarica. You have fig fever! You have some beautiful fig trees and backyard. I hope mine look as pretty as yours as time goes on. cheers, Dennis

o

Very nice pic's. Thanks. Good to know fig actions in Europe. Congrats your Del Portogallo is loaded with figs. Any idea how they taste. I suppose you had a head start with the help of the green house.

Paully

o

Great pictures. I have the fig fever too! I have 6 fig trees and each day I check on them to see if there is any sign of fruit...lol. I think I might get some figs this year! I'm really dying to try some. :)

o

• Posted by girlbug2 9/10, Sunset zone 23 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 6, 10 at 22:21

I'm sad to hear that so many of the fig trees in Europe were killed by frost last year. Hopefully, no rare old varieties were permanently lost. Perhaps some of them are sprouting back from the roots now? that is what I am told happens frequently here in the states (in other climate zones than mine which get freezes).

You have a pleasant looking back fig garden.

o

Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy many fig fruits this year. It appears that the Doree will be the first one since it seems to be showing colour getting close to ripening.
Wht did you restrict the Sultana roots when there is so much space availabe?

o

First of all : Thanks for your reactions.
Answers to your questions,
To Paully22,

In beginning of March I put my figs in the greenhouse. When weather gets bad, this year it froze 2 night late april, later than usual over here, I protect new leafs or tiny breba's with some blankets or other insulation material. You have to be attentive to the weather forecasts...

To girlbug2 : Not all of the figtrees died here in Belgium ofcourse. 40 Miles from here temperatures were not that low.
For good understanding. Belgium is not a fig country as for instance Middle and South of France, Italy, Spain..;
Some people have them in their garden, close to a sunny wall. They don't get as big as in the south, and only more cold hardy figs do it well.
The trees that died sprout again from their roots.
Could you tell me what are the climat zones here in Europe? Than I could compare when I read the different messages about figs and zones in the forum.

To Ottowan Z5a,

I do root restriction because I think the wood will ripen faster and not die by early frost. Also the tree is near the house in front of the window. I like figs very much but i like to have light inside the house too. Also when it should freeze hard in winter I can protect it easier.

But it is the warmest spot, near a heated house in winter and with sun the whole day long. So I hope it gives (ripe) figs in the future.

o

• Posted by noss 9 Lafayette, LA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 7, 10 at 4:26

Hello recarica,

I'm very impressed with your English and your writing. You did great! You seem to know English and write it very well.

We are kindred spirits all over the world, all with fig fever, yes? :) I have no desire to cure that fever, do you?

Those are lovely pictures of your fig trees. Thanks for sharing them with us. I hope you get lots of delicious figs to eat this season.

noss

o

Thx Noss,

I do me best with the English... Overhere people learn Dutch French English and sometimes German in school. We're a small country and have to adapt.

Kindred spirits is the right expression, or maybe an uncurable but fun illness... Nice to know there are others like us!

o

Ciao recarica,

I know the growing zones of Italy very well, I will share them with you, many other parts of Europe have similar zones, but remember there is not maybe as much sun, more rain,cooler average temps, ect which also would effect the growing differently than in sunny dry hot Italia.
Northern Italy is mostly all zone 8.
Central and southern Italia is zone 9-10
Central mountains zone 8
Sicilia zone 9-10
Sardegna zone 9-10

YOur pictures are beautiful, you have a few varieties I have seen in Europe (Italia) very very good.
Ciao and good growing and much luck to you.

o

recarica first welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing those beautiful pictures. your collection is wonderful and this link might help determine your zone
http://www.uk.gardenweb.com/forums/zones/hze.html
Sal

o

Sal,

Thx for the handy link. I live in zone 8.
Now I can look in the forum which are the best figs for that zone.

R.

o

• Posted by ejp3 7NY (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 7, 10 at 21:50

Recaria, what an impressive collection of fig tree's. Thank you so much for sharing. It looks like you really know what you are doing. What soil mix are you using for the potted figs? Keep up the good work and welcome. I hope you don't take this the wrong way but the galbun in the self watering container looks like it needs water. Just a little fig humor (very little fig humor)

o

Ejp3, I use soil which I buy in large bags in a local store. It has large percentage of bark in it. I mix it with some soil of my garden and some lime. My figs seem to like it.
The self watering container... I don't like it myself the way the fig grows. Maybe the plastic gets too hot in the sun. I'll wait till the end of this season and hope it improves. I got the idea from the fig4fun website :
http://figs4fun.com/bills_figs.html

o

Hi Recarica!

Where did you find ''Lungo del Portogalo'" cuttings?

o

I also live in a zone 8 and would be happy to trade cuttings with you this fall. all the figs I have grow well in the ground here with no winter protection. contact me at ediblelandscaping.sc@gmail.com

o

Recarica,
I am an other one affected by fig fever in Europe. I live in Hungary and possessed of nearly 60 varieties of fig. My first fig trees are 20 years old and they are "giant size" in a little orchard on a hill side. Two years ago we (with my friends) began to create a big fig orchard of 4 hectars on a hill top with our best varieties. Though we are interested (without limits)to new, for us unknown varieties and collect them. We could trade with You easily because Hungarian people work in Gent and they travel each week by car and could help us.
Italiangirl,
vedo con piacere che c'e' anche una ragazza italiana in questo forum. Anche con te sarebbe facile fare scambi se t'interessa (in quale regione sei), perche' noi siamo spesso in Italia. (P. es.fra 15 giorni sono alla Macfrut a Cesena.)
Ediblelandscaping (from Hungarian origin) met me in another topic /Fig orchard/. I will send You an e-mail. I hope we also can trade if we'll find a shipping possibility/opportunity.

o

My old fig trees file in the middle, in the front of the houses:

o

To see them better

o

The oldest exemplars are of this size

o

We have some interesting varieties with nice fruits

o

"Non-split" fig

o

Fico zucca

o

Fig vendor and her ware /my granddaughter/

o

Girl on the fig tree

o

Brown plate: the most hardy variety of our assortment. It's tree tends to grow very big.

o

Italiani,
datemi una mano! Come si dice "fiorone" in inglese?
"Fioroni" "first blossom fruits"(?) of Brown plate

o

Very nice photos. Thank you for sharing.

Joe

o

"Fiorone" first blossom of the Dark plate
(Fiorone is not plate)

o

Figs (second blossom) of the same variety "Dark plate"

o

The most common fig cultivar of our region

o

Vanessa Atalanta, the lover of figs

o

The bee-house

o

What do you do to keep the birds off of your figs?

Joe

o

Joe
Nothing. A major part of the first blossom figs becomes victime of the bird invasion but the damage on the second blossom is supportable because their ripening coincides with the maturation of the grapes of the vineyards in the vicinity.

o

Position of my orchard on the hill side viewed from beneath

o

... and a view from there above

o

We propagate by these cuttings, the way is the same one of vine rootstocks

o

Our propagation system /or alternatively a similar one in pots/

o

ninovarga,
i live in shenzhen,china;i have fig fever!your country is so beautiful!

o

yg zh,
thank you. China is also fantastic.
What kind of fig do you grow?

o

Four seasons in figs

Spring

o

Summer

o

Autumn

o

Winter

o

i live in the center of city,have no land.my figs are growing in pots.

o

this,we call it Blanrick(��������)��the most commonly fig in
china��i think it should be called ��Brunswick����

o

Hello Ninovarga, Could you please email me. lukeott@comcast.net

o

Hi Nino,

How can i contact u? I live in Czech republic and grow some figs in my garden. I would like to visit u and see your orchard. If it is possible of course.

Stepan

o

My email is stefanos689@hotmail.com, i can also exchange some local varieties with u if interested. 100 km from Hungarian border, so no problem for me to come.

Stepan

o

Hi Stepan,

I sent you an email.

o

Autumn in the fig orchard

o

Hi to everybody ! Though I live in the USA I am looking for the Fig cuttings exchange !! email me at evladi7654@aol.com if interested !
Eugene

o

Hi ! 'ninovarga ' I love your pictures and fruit ! Do you cover your rows of Fig cuttings for the winter? When do you plant them in the picture? Email me at evladi7654@aol.com
Eugene

o

Hi Eugene,

the cuttings are excavated late autumn and planted in their definite places.
I'll write you an email.

o

Enjoy your meal!

o

Wow, Nino, Come e bella la tua fattoria e terre sono! (Forgive me, my Italian is pretty poor, no one to speak with anymore, grandparents and parents have all passed on.) I especially love your "Winter" photo, hah! Do you have a web site? I would love to find a way to perhaps purchase some fig cuttings from you, especially any beloved Italian fig varieties. And, I would LOVE to have your fig preserve recipe, yum!

Patty (Marconi) S.

o

Nino, bellissimo, vuoi sapere il nome che noi usiamo per i fioroni qui in America, e' breba. La parola e' Spagnola che descrive a come i fioroni non durano come il tempo dei fichi,(breva in Italiano),ciao, Sergio, New Jersey, nel Sud.

o

Patty,
I sent you an e-mail.
Comunque grazie per i complimenti!

o

Ciao Sergio,

grazie per la tua gentile spiegazione. Nel frattempo, leggendo diversi topic del "Fig forum" ho fatto progressi nell' inglese e ho capito che il fiorone si chiama 'breba' e i fichi si chiamano 'main crop', praticamente "produzione principale". L'etimologia (origine) della "breba" invece non la sapevo.
Grazie di nuovo!

o

Prego, Nino.

o

Autumn color-parade in the fig orchard

o

Golden leaves

o

Fig season is over

o

Imminent leaves-falling of the earliest variety

o

... but the latest one is green

o

... and full with tasty fruits

o

Different varieties are distinguishable by different colors

o

Fig and pomegranate

o

Fig and persimmon

o

Fig-view

o

Hello Nino,

How can I get a hold of you?

Rafed

o

Beautiful fig garden in Belgium. That's one country I've always wanted to visit. Gorgeous fig landscape in Hungary. I'm just curious if there are fig forums like this for Europeans? You have better English writing skills than many in the States. Interesting to know the fever is a worldwide phenomenon. I know of tulip and orchid obsession but have not heard of any other fruit that people are so obsessed with.

o

Dear Toucan,
the psychology of the "fig fever" lies in the charm of the rarities.
I was to visit a fig gatherer-trader in Tuscany and he said that his buyers are not Italians but mainly foreigners from countries where growing figs is a challenge, in defiance of the climate.
In Italy and generally in the Mediterranean area figs are very common, you can find them everywhere, on fields, on dykes, and what is more in rock-cracks.
There are other fruit species too that people are obsessed with in in Europe: for example persimmon and paw-paw and these on the same psichological base like fig.
Obviously there cannot be any "European joint fig forum" like this American, partly because European Union is not united in the sense like the States in America, partly because it's to be confronted as a veritable Babel in linguistic sense.
However there are different gardening forums in each State where fig and other fruits form subjects.
In Hungary for example we have a forum which deals "limited hardy fruits" among them fig too.

o

Hello Nino,
my name is Giuseppe and I have many varieties of figs,sono italiano and would love to trade fig cuttings with you if it is possible.Ciao,
giuseppe
this is my email joetozzi91@yahoo.com

o

Early winter attack in Europe: first snow on hill-level

o

Hi All,

I'm Ninovarga's friend and colleague. I'd like to exchange fig cuttings and join the Gardenweb fig community. We can offer all the varieties mentioned/photographed above (and in "fig orchard") by Nino, I think that in almost unlimited quantity. Personally I like an early purple one the most. Its breba crop starts to ripen in the middle of June. It has a delicious strawberry-like taste and deep red color of pulp.

To be punctual, I'm listing the other cultivars of him as well WE OFFER:

-dark plate
-brown plate (hardy, first crop is not plate)
-most common cultivar of our region
-yellow round giant, fruits sometimes about 200 grams
-yellow round small, probably of dalmatian (Croatia) origin, few or no breba crop, but main crop is among the best
-dark skinned, probably of Dalmatian origin, late ripening, second crop in end of October here
-black round from the village of Kutfej, strawberry pulp
-drying on tree, green
-dark elongated
-another traditional hungarian variety, main crop quite late, brown, very abundant, breba crop also
-Italian brown, bit similar to the Hungarian brown above.

Further to these cultivars I have the following ones, but they are 1 or 2 years-old trees, so cuttings are limited to 1-3 piece per tree (it means practically that I cannot send cuttings from these to more than 1-2 exchange partners):

-panachee
-parisienne
-ronde de Bordeaux
-yellow hard skinned from the Hungarian city of Zalaegerszeg, hardy, strawberry pulp
-portogallo
-sucrette
-salato
-col de dame (cuello de dama) black and white
napolitana (don't know dark or light, haven't fruited yet)
-big brownish-purple from Hungarian city of P�cs, hardy
-brogiotto nero
-albo
-dattero
-new bianco
-dauphine
-corso
-nero roco
-dottato
-sementino
-corvo siculo
-piazzetta (good for drying)
-luzzano (amber pulp)
-bianco gigante
-montesano
-bottaccio o.
-brown turkey (don't know which tipe)
-raffaone (or possibly a missplelled faraone?)
-San Piero Na.
-verdino Giacomo (one of my personal favorite, green skin, deep red inside, very good for drying)
-montalcino rosa (pink skin)
-Madeleine des 2 saisons
-seedless cultivar from the collection of prof. G. Zuccherelli

After all, I'm LOOKING FOR the following:

-As all our fig cultivars are parthenocarpic and the fig wasp is not present here, I want to collect caprifig trees and wasps or larvae inside to settle down a fig wasp colony here. I'm also looking for female cultivars requiring pollination eg. Smyrna, Calimyrna, Lop Incir, or any.

-Any other good cultivars, for example:

-A sangu, bursa siyahi, rigata rossa from the page ficuscarica.com

-Ull de perdiu, verdal from galgoni.com

-Any best US cultivar, you've talked about so many in this forum

-Marseillaise, negronne, noire de Caromb, noire de Barbentane, sultane, tena, nefiach, grise Saint-Jean, becane or any other good, interesting French cultivar i don't have yet.

Some people have contacted Ninovarga already but I'd kindly accept any help or offer especially about the caprifig-wasp-smyrna fig staff. We also possess 14 asian persimmon (Diospyros kaki) cultivars, so we are interested in scion wood exchange of persimmon. We are interested in non-astringent japanese cultivars although we have some already.

Thank you all and sorry for my long post.

o

• Posted by lukeott 7 south jersey (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 31, 12 at 16:46

Hello figfan hungary, please email me. lukeott@comcast.net thank you

luke

o

Luke, I sent an email.

Some pictures from our assortment:

o

"korai lila" ="early purple" is one of my favorite, first mentioned.

o

"szivarfuge" is the elongated dark, "vorcsoki dalmat" is the Dalmatian yellow round, "kutfeji lila" is the "purple of Kutfej village"

o

A harvest in September

o

...and making some fig preserve:

o

The new cultivars for us are still rather small, so only a few cuttings are available for exchange. We don't sell and preferably don't buy fig cuttings, we prefer the exchange method.

o

hi,figfan_hungary,i live in china,i want to exchange fig cuttings or other fruit cuttings with you,please email me,43337013@qq.com,thanks!

o

Hi Figfan,

Pls send me an email to stefanos689@hotmail.com, I am interested in exchange

o

• Posted by pako 7b (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 13, 12 at 12:45

Salve figfan,io sono curioso a sapere se il fico Col de Dame Blanch che posiedi si trova in terra oppure in vaso.Io avrei pratticamente lo stesso clima come il tuo,ma trovo dificolta a far'maturare questa specie.Grazie se trovi 2 minuti per rispondere.
pako

o

Salve Pako, si trovano in terra, anche il Col de Dame nero e bianco. Quest'anno hanno maturati da settembre fino ad ottobre. L'estate era molto caldo in Europa quindi non posso conclurede come comportarebbero in un anno normale. Questi sono delle nuove varieta per noi.

o

bianco (col de dame blanche)

o

• Posted by pako none (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 13, 12 at 17:19

Grazzie figfan.Era importante per me saperlo.Forse non hai fatto caso,ma io sto in Bulgaria.Se queste varieta hanno matturato da voi,alora sono ottimista.Dopo tutto,la mia pianta e ancora giovane e questo e il suo primo anno in terra.Estate era veramente caldissimo anche da noi...eppure settembre ed ottobre alcuni gradi sopra la media.Speriamo bene per l'inverno che viene...Grazie ancora ed "in boca al lupo"...
pako

o

This is the best post I've seen. It makes me want to get some land out in the countryside and just grow a ton of figs and other fruit. Maybe once I retire :). That countryside is just amazing looking!

o

Where did everyone go??
All the pleasent conversation and beautiful pictures.
Don't let it stop.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here