houstonpat

Big Fig

houstonpat
11 years ago

Banana, Texas A&M

Comments (11)

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    11 years ago

What are you saying? Is that like a half inch wide?

• mountainman0826
    11 years ago

"Banana" fig originally was taken from a tree that had grown in Seadrift, Texas since the early 1900's. In my opinion, it is identical to Kadota. Other cultivars that I have seen that are identical are: Binella, Dotatto, and White Texas Everbearing. The fruit is medium sized, very sweet and good for drying.

• houstonpat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The fig is sitting on my VISA Card. It's about 3" across.

Good info Mountainman.

• mountainman0826
    11 years ago

That is a huge fig for the Banana variety! Was it a breba fig (produced on last year's wood) or a main crop (produced on this year's growth) fig? I suspect that it was a breba fig. It's still a little early for main crop figs, even in Houston. My main crop Banana in Austin will probably ripen in about 3 weeks or so.

• houstonpat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gotta make sure my netting is further away from the fruit. Yeah mountainman it's a breba.

• budbackeast
    11 years ago

A local mockingbird here will do this to my figs. He pecks out a bit of each fig when he can. He must know that nobody would eat a partially eaten fig. But he doesn't know me. I will eat them anyway, thwarting his evil plan to corner the fig market.

Go ahead and eat that fig. Being damaged, the sugars will concentrate in the fig, making it very sweet.

BTW: That first pic is one awesome fig. Hope they taste as nice as they look!

• vitalucky
    11 years ago

I had the same problem with birds and after I had tried almost everything, finally I adopted 3 cats.
    Now I enjoy all my figs

• vitalucky
    11 years ago

I had the same problem with birds and after I had tried almost everything, finally I adopted 3 cats.
    Now I enjoy all my figs

• fignewbies
    11 years ago

Hi,

The fig fruit looks so beautiful and yummy!
    I wish I could bit into a big fig fruit like
    that but this is unlikely as I live in a cold area.

• foolishpleasure
    11 years ago

If it is like Kadota I have one tree but have not gotten my first fig yet. At my yard I have a tiny bird I think is called barn bird, they nest in my garage and eat my figs. When I closed the garage door my woman opened it because the baby birds will die starving catch 22
    Abe

• ldr3mir
    10 years ago

When do Kadotas ripen in Austin? Will they still have milky sap?

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County