Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vole ravaged figs coming back from the dead NOW.

Posted by denninmi 6A SE Michigan (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 26, 12 at 12:50

I had some older planting of figs along the side of the house. I also have had a heavy vole population for 2 decades. I gave up years back trying to overwinter the woody parts, since anything that gave adequate winter shelter became a winter palace complete with all-you-can-eat fig bark buffet for voles.

However, I've always had luck just overwintering the roots and getting a crop from those, by mulching with oak leaves in the fall.

Last winter, vole pressure must have been severe or I had the vole from Krypton, because they destroyed them like I've never really seen. They actually chewed off all of last year's growth below the soil line -- first clue was when I saw the old stalks collapse onto the ground.

Anyway, I thought these were complete goners, and redid the bed this weekend into a mixed border.

Lo and Behold, tiny 1 and two inch shoots are coming off the roots further out from the old crowns. They definitely won't do anything fruit-wise this year, but perhaps they'll make it.

Now, if I knew a secret weapon against voles I'd be all set.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vole ravaged figs coming back from the dead NOW.

The secret weapon is to put pellets of vole poison down the holes. If you keep at it, you can get rid of these evil varmints!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here