Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threebac

Fig tree transplant shock

threebac
12 years ago

We needed to move a fig tree from blocking an AC unit.

The tree was well established and producing many figs for several years.

We moved it during winter but the weather was already beginning to warm up.

We live between Houston and Austin and have clayey soil mixed with some sand in some areas.

The moved tree never put out any leaves or figs and is still quite bare. It is still alive and we are watering it.

Is there some sorto of feed or supplement we should give it or should we just wait until next year to see what happens?

Thank you for any help on this matter.

Comments (4)

• kumquatlady
    12 years ago

We planted Fig trees in late May and they lost all the leaves and fruits due to the transplant shock and this unusually dry and hot summer in TX didn't help either. But we are watering faithfully and I put some Miracle grow fruit tree fertilizer (the stick kind you bury by the root) and Black mission fig is finally putting out some gorgeous new leaves. I don't know if it'll bear fruit this year but I think they will come back well established and strong next Spring. We had a big older fig tree that was uprooted by the storm and we couldn't replanted without cutting off the tap root which was so deep and after that the tree never recovered. If you did not cut the main root, then my guess is tree will recover but sounds like root might be damaged. Keep water and watch and if it does the same thing by next Spring I would consider planting a new tree.

• kdragonsoul19
    11 years ago

Did ur fig tree recover? I'm an amateur gardener and I put a couple fig trees in the ground about a week ago. At first they were just wilting during the day, but now they are looking really rough with yellowing drooping leaves. Should I relocate back to a bigger pot or to a new spot in the yard? I live in south ga so it's pretty hot here and I found out after I planted them that I should not plant unless it was dormant. I thought if they came from the store they could go in the dirt. Help what should I do?

• DonnieJean
    11 years ago

I planted a 3-4 ft Brown Turkey fig in a large pot. It looked nice when I planted it but went into shock and lost all of its leaves. It's been about 3 weeks now and no sign of any new leaves. To Kumquatlady, how long did it take for your tree to start growing new leaves? I waited a long time to get a fig tree and am so disappointed to see it in this condition.

• herman2_gw
    11 years ago

Provide shade by installing an Umbrella over the tree.
    Do not fertilize,at all,till it start growing strong,and do not water every day,only a good watering once a week.