Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I paint the trunck

Posted by az_pamperedchef 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 1, 11 at 13:42

I have a Black Mission tree planted last October and it appears to be doing well. Yeah! This will be its first summer here in the low desert of AZ. I'm wondering if I should paint the trunk like we do with our citrus trees to protect them from the scorching sun. Any ideas? Also, in the photo you'll see an "off-shoot" on the tree, should I cut it off or leave it alone?

Photobucket

Sorry if the pics sideways, I've tried rotating it several times to no avail.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I paint the trunck

I have several year and a half old in ground black mission trees here in Lake Havasu. Our temps here get a bit hotter than in the valley, I think.

None are painted, and all appear healthy with no bark peeling or other signs of deterioration. Two of them are over four feet tall allready. They're tough little guys.

I would suggest you mulch real heavy (as in 4-6 inches deep for several feet around your tree) though. Fig trees tend to be shallow rooted. Unmulched ground temps can get pretty high in our 110+ degree summers.

Dave

o
RE: Painting the trunk

Also...if it were my tree, I would leave the shoot. I train all trees with several leaders....three or four at least. The bushier shape makes for a wider tree with more low leaves to provide shade for both the exposed bark and the ground beneath the tree.

That's how I do it and it has worked for me so far.
Hopefully thisisme will chime in here as well with his advice. He's been doing this in our climate a while longer than I have.

o

If you are really concern about the sun, instead of painting the trunk I would wrap it with white colored tree warp. Sun doesn't affect the bark on my fig trees and temps can reach 100F here.
During winter I do wrap the trunk of my crimson queen japanese maple, apple and Persimmon trees.

white colored tree wrap,

http://www.amazon.com/Dewitt-3-Inch-50-Foot-White-TW3W/dp/B0016AJC0W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307030987&sr=8-1

o

Thank you both for your responses. It seems I don't need to paint it then. I have mulched it to about 4" so that's a good thing.

nkesh099, you do wrap your persimmon tree so I guess I should paint my persimmon tree then?

o

I do not like to paint any of my trees, if I would paint them my neighbors would think I am crazy. I do wrap them with white colored tree wrap only in winter and will take them off by March-April. I do not wrap them in summer.

Navid.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here