Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wertach2

Canned Fig recipes anyone?

It looks like I am going to have a bumper crop this year. I make fig preserves every year but I have lost the recipe, probably when my wife did her spring cleaning. I need a recipe for preserves and would like to try some other things since it looks like I will have so many extra figs.

Anyone ever make pickled figs? Never heard of them but I like pickled stuff. Anyone make fig wine? Any other recipes would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (7)

• ichabod
    12 years ago

My Mom's fig preserves:
    Wash and weigh the figs. Use half that much sugar. No liquid. I like to smash my figs by hand after I wash them. Cook until done. That's the hard part. If you've done it before you should be able to judge by the color. If you have a few figs not completely ripe they will assume the color of the whole batch when done. My Mom taught me a very good test for doneness. Put a few drops of the syrup into a soup spoon and place the spoon in the freezer for a couple of minutes. Put one drop of the syrup onto your thumbnail. When the drop no longer flattens out but has straight sides they are done. To me they don't taste right until they are done. I put them in jars, seal, and give them a boiling water bath. They keep better and maintain their flavor that way. I store them in a refrigerator and they keep their fresh flavor for several years.

Ichabod

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks ichabod, I don't have any way of weighing them. The recipe that I had was X cups sugar to X cups of figs. It also included some vanilla extract, to the best of my memory.

I remember that I cut the figs in half, I like mine chunky, added the sugar and simmered for a while. Until the syrup slowly drained off of a spoon, like molasses. Then processed in a water bath.

I think it was 1/4th cup sugar to one cup figs.

I might just wing it, figs and sugar shouldn't spoil and will still be tasty even without a correct recipe!

• texascockatoos
    12 years ago

My recipe is for every 4 cups of figs, 1 cup of water and 2 cups of sugar. Reduce to a thick syrup and process as usual.

• noss
    12 years ago

Hi Cathy,

What is the process as usual?

Thanks,

noss

• jolj
    12 years ago

2 1/2lb(1.1kg) ripe figs. freshly squeezed juice of 2 lemons.
    finely grated zest of 1 lemon, 2 1/2lb(1 kg) granulated sugar.
    4 1/2 oz(125g) liquid pectin.
    1)cut stems & peel figs, cut into 1/2 inch chucks.
    2)put figs,juice,zest in large nonreactive pot. simmer on low heat for 30 minutes until figs are very soft.
    3) add sugar & continue to simmer on low & stirring until sugar has melted.
    4)stir in pectin, increase heat & cook until a full rolling boil for 10 minutes, then test for a set.
    5)When the jam has reached the set point, ladle into hot sterilized jar & seal, label & date.
    NOTE: from Jellies,Jams & Chutneys by Prince.
    This is a great book, with 150 recipes.

• genecolin
    12 years ago

This is my old family recipe that I just invented. Works every time. This is not for making jellies or jam but rather to preserve them whole.

I start with a nice mess of ripe figs, very sweet. Enough for 2 to 3 quarts of large figs or 3 to 4 pints of small figs.

Soak them in pan with baking soda and water for 15 minutes to clean.

2 Cups of sugar and 2 cups of water. Put both in pot on fire until sugar is liquefied.

Add figs and water as need to just cover figs.

Cook for at least 30 minutes or until fig get soft and somewhat clear. Skim milky foam off while cooking.

Put figs in hot cleaned jars, fill jar to within 1/2 inch of top with hot syrup for pot.

Seal jars and stand upside down to cool.

When cool, make sure lids have sealed by pressing center to make sure it is down.

Store until needed.

Served for breakfast like this is fit for a king. Too bad these were my last 2 figs from last season or I would have had a bunch more on my plate. They go over even better with bacon. The syrup is great for sopping up with toast or if you're from the south it's great on smothered potatoes with home made Biegnets and smoke sausage the side.

• BFreeHD00
    12 years ago

I love figs this is a recipe if you want to "flavor" your jam somewhat:

3 Cups mashed figs
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    2 3-oz Packs of Apricot, Peach or Strawberry Jello
    1/2 pack 1.75 oz Sure Jell

Put in figs and sugar over heat as they get warm add the other ingredients and boil bubbly for ten minutes, pour in sterilized jars and waterbath, use only nonmetal utensils

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012