Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ficus alli ailing

Posted by WojtekS Florida (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 15:29

I bought a tree about 8' with a long root that was cut off by the seller. The tree was outdoors. I planted it in a pot which I was told was too small when I reported that leaves were falling. I replanted in a larger pot 19" x 18" tall with organic potting soil, very loose with white fluff inside. I also put about an inch of rocks on the bottom to facilitate drainage. The tree is next to a window with a good amount of light. Leaves have begun to fall off at a very rapid pace 30 a day. The tips are brown. I don't know if I am over watering or under watering or what the problem is. Please help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ficus alli ailing

I am adding pictures, very strange but it appears I can only add one at a time.

o

also white film on some leaves

o

Beautiful tree, that's not going to be enough light for it. From past experience, anytime the roots are trimmed it's a good rule of thumb to decrease the canopy size as well. Hopefully AL will see this post and give some advice as well, but I believe it's going to drop leaves because it cannon support such a vast canopy with a small root system, probably dealing with some transplant shock as well. Gorgeous tree, any updates?

o
My Ficus is driving me crazy!!

I've had the 6ft ficus for a year, and for six months nothing but serenity.

Then major leaf loss, not too worried but found it was root bound.
-Repotted, cleaned the roots trimmed the monster ones and then it got a mite infestation
-Treated the infestation successfully
-Still weeks after massive loss, but only from internal canopy, falling leaves a in good condition some with small dark tips, and some crinkled
-Yet I have great new young growth on the outer and especially top canopy
-Its watered once a week, sparingly so not to have wet pot
the pot is huge and has a drainage hole with saucer
-I mist the tree, two three times a week
Any one have any advice?
Would fertiziling it do any good?

Every morning its guess how many leaves its dropped!!

Please help

o

Growth at the top of the canopy

o

Internal canopy is bare???

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here