Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kngskid

Question about English Brown Turkey

kngskid
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

Burnt Ridge has agreed to replace my two mulberry trees that didn't leaf out but they'll only do so "with my next order". I really want these two mulberry and I'm willing to place a small order to get them but my problem is that I can't find anything that I want or don't already have except this one fig.

If anyone has English Brown Turkey from Burnt Ridge or have experience with their English Brown Turkey please share rather you think it is a good, tasty fig or one to walk away from? Thank You

Comments (17)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

I have 2 brown turkeys. They grow fast as I got about 50-70 linear feet of growth in two years, each tree. I have gotten 6 figs off them. this is the start of there 3rd year after coming though a very hard winter with temps down in the upper single digits. Breba crop killed..

fig have little flavor until they are dried and concentrated which is what I plan for

• herman2_gw
    10 years ago

Specifically,English Brown Turkey,cultivar,is very good for Georgia,with large sweet fruits copper colored.

• stepandfetch
    10 years ago

Southern/english turkeys can be fantastic figs, just as tasty as celeste, with slightly less sweetness and a stronger figgy taste. I have only grown them in the South, so I cannot speak for anyone outside of this region. I will never understand the negative reputation of ENGLISH/ SOUTHERN brown turkeys! Some say they are insipid, some say they are mediocre when compared to other, more widely renown figs... I have nearly two dozen fig varieties now, and brown turkey is not insipid!!! They are mundane, yes, but they are fine figs, and some of the hardiest as well. They also make the BEST whole fig preserves!

• girlbug2
    10 years ago

Perhaps stepandfetch, people routinely confuse English BT with California BT -- I know personally how insipid California BTs can be.

I am told that English BTs are very different, however, and I'd take the chance to try them.

• stepandfetch
    10 years ago

yes I think that is the case is well.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

I bought mine from floridahillnursery.com. does anyone know what brown turkey I have.

Thank Steve

• kngskid
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, I'll go with the English Brown Turkey.

Now if someone could comment on rather or not Burnt Ridge has a real English Brown Turkey it would help to ease my concerns. I've had my share brown turkey fig trees with bad fruit.

Thanks again!

• herman2_gw
    10 years ago

I just Checked and they do not List English B Turkey at this time.
    That mean they buy from Wholesalers,and ran out of it .
    I would not accept a fig they do not list for sale now.
    It will be a Mongrell,if you do.
    Buy a Stella instead,and make sure tell them if is not a Stella,you will send it back.
    Stella is white fig with Dark red interior,and ,is a Winner.

• rayrose
    10 years ago

I've always known it as plain Brown Turkey. I didn't know there were English and California versions. Whatever, I've got 4 plain ole Brown Turkey 's and they're great tasting figs and extremely easy to grow. If any fig is insipid, IMO, it's Celeste. Brown Turkey is a much better fig..

• kngskid
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Herman, I noticed that the English Brown Turkey was not listed with their other figs but I didn't know the significance of it so thanks for clearing that up.

You know, Stella was my first choice but I thought I was playing it too safe since I all ready have Stella but maybe I can bless someone with a new fig tree.

Rayrose, I'm not sure of the differences but in my area all the nurseries carry brown turkey so I thought it must be a good fig but I've tried four trees from three different nurseries (technically two nurseries and one home improvement store). It took five years for me to figure out that my first tree needed pollinating (?), two of the four produced abnormally huge, weird figs that never ripened no matter how long I left them on the tree, the LAST hasn't given a single fig after two years (it came from Lowes) but I really thought I'd found something special sine this fig was called "English" Brown Turkey when the others were just Brown Turkey. I love Celeste but I love all things sweet and It helps that my taste buds are not very sophisticated.

THANKS

• rayrose
    10 years ago

Kingskid,

I'll be more than happy to send you cuttings in january.
    All you have to do is stick each cutting in a one gallon pot
    with good potting soil, keep it watered, and out of the sun,
    and it will root and start to grow. You'll have figs the first year.
    They are the easiest things to propagate.

If you really want a SWEET fig, try Italian Honey, sometimes called Italian Golden Honey. I got my first one this year and it is OUTSTANDING.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

He's not kidding about propagation ease and growth speed.

Hardy chicago fig. Grows slower than EBT
    {{gwi:39593}}
    8 months old from 1.5 inch cutting. 12 figs from past thrugh currently on plant. In a 5 gallon bucket

• kngskid
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I failed miserably at my first attempt to root cuttings this year, everything died, but if your saying all I have to do is stick these cuttings in some soil and water it then I'd like to take you up on your offer and give it another shot for a great fig. I'll contat you in January if that's okay. Thank you.

Where did you find your Italian Honey/Italian Golden Honey? Was it mail ordered? It sounds like a fig I'd like to meet!

Poncirusguy, your Hardy Chicago looks great! If you got that from sticking a cutting in some soil, then my hope is renewed... I can do that, but I am so done with cups and moss and perlite and lamps and mini greenhouses and..... Aghhh!

THANKS

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

use an 8 once yogert cup with a 1/4 inch hole in the bottom. Place that in a 12 once plastic drink cup as seen in the picture. Slide your fig cutting through the hole in the yogert cup. Fill the yogert cup up with sterilized sand. Pour water through the sand till the clear plastic cup is just below the yogert cup. place the tree in a south window with a sheet of white paper between the cutting and the sun such that the tree gets no sun on it but is well lit. Add water as needed. !-2 months should do for a nicely rooted cutting.

{{gwi:788072}}

The link below shows thing Ive done with plants that might help you even though it is with a potted seed grown meiwa kumquat tree

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/citrus/msg0320572518736.html

• rayrose
    10 years ago

http://centuryfarmorchards.com/descripts/figs.html

This is the link to Century Farms Orchards, where I got my Italian Golden Honey. They mainly sell apple trees, but sell pears and figs too. David Vernon is an outstanding guy and sells really quality trees. I've bought many trees from him and have been thoroughly pleased with every purchase. You should read his story on the website.
    Contact me in January, and I'll send the cuttings, or if you decide to get the Italian Golden Honey, he also has Brown Turkey, if you don't feel confident or want to deal with rooting yourself. I got my brown turkey's from cuttings that I took from a neighbor's tree.

• ahgrower Horne
    10 years ago

I have 3 brown turkey fig bushes and 1 celeste. I bought them all around the same time. No edible figs from the celeste yet-they grow and then they fall off. A whole different story for the BT figs. They have produced since the first summer. They are awesome. I love and anticipate the smaller sized figs especially because when they get fully ripe, they taste just like candy! Off the chain! BT has an awesome taste and it could be because the sun is so hot here that it bakes the figs to perfection. They are flavorful and very tasty. Its just my opinion but they are not tasteless in the least.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

My hardy chicago figs have produce ripe fruit. The tigs are very taste compared to my brown turkey. Best of all they fruit on first years wood so If you get a real bad freeze. yo'll be getting figs from scratch. Hardy Chicago is worth trying if you can't find EBT

Hardy chicago graduates to 55 gallon half barrel
    {{gwi:612443}}
    On the roof top hardy chicago

hardy chicago fig showing figs

Ground level in greenhouse to be