Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
btropical256

Figs ripening?

btropical256
17 years ago

Well my brown turkey fig tree looks like the fruit is beginning to ripen but not sure if they are falling off. Well to start of the figs are the breba crop and they are yellowish and they keep falling on the ground. Below is a picture of a fig that i found on the ground. ITs yellowish in color and that is mostly the color of all the other figs.Are they ripening or falling off? When is the usuall ripening time for a brown turkey breba around here in zone 7

Comments (18)

• User
    17 years ago

Well Hard to say when you look at it.
    Best is to cut it in half ,If grey and hollow inside and dry to taste it is an aborted fig.
    My brown turkey is aborting them too but they were a litlle diff.in color having some brown spots on them too.
    Yours is very clean ,unicolor ,and different.
    Any way try to eat it ,if not juicy and sweet it is an aborted one.
    This is the best way to be sure.
    If is aborting all of them,next year remove them yourself so that the main crop comes earlier.At least that is what i will do next year,if still around.Hope this will help

• btropical256
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Some of mine has brown spots on them this one happens to be yellow. THe flash on the camera made it brighter then it really is. wouldnt the fig ripen on the windowsill though?

• mountainman0826
    17 years ago

Figs aren't like tomatoes. Once they have fallen or have been picked, they will not ripen any farther. If the fig is really a Brown Turkey, then it is immature, as the color is green, not copper-colored like a ripe Brown Turkey Fig. Lightly squeeze the fig. A ripe fig is soft. Cut the fig in half and look at it. As Herman says, a ripe fig is juicy. If the fig appears ripe, taste a tiny bit of it to be sure. If it is sweet and juicy, then the fig is ripe.

• nanelle_gw (usda 9/Sunset 14)
    17 years ago

I just ate a lemon sized "Black Jack" that had rather suddenly gotten quite a bit larger than the others and darkened from green to purplish. Last year they had burst while I was away, and I also fearded a bird would get it first, so I picked and ate it. Not hollow but dry and not sweet. Too early, but I don't believe it was aborted.

• btropical256
    Original Author
    17 years ago

well i cut it in half the inside is yellow. It is moist inside but taste like a greenbean. It has a very plain taste to it and rubbery hard to chew.

• User
    17 years ago

Then in my opinion it is an aborted breba fig.

• btropical256
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yeah i would agree with that. Today they look like there even closer to ripen and no others have fallen off. I am also noticing the next crop apearing on the new growth.

• nanelle_gw (usda 9/Sunset 14)
    17 years ago

I now see that the Black Jacks seem to turn purple before they are ripe. My desert kings increase DRAMATICALLY in size, then droop just before they ripen; overnight! Ate the first Desert King of the year like a junkie!

• btropical256
    Original Author
    17 years ago

ahh just today almost all my figs fell. 8 figs fell after downporing rain. Is this normal. I now have like 5 figs left.

• User
    17 years ago

Yes It Is Normal: Some Figs have a high quality Reliable Breba crop As (KING),Other A High quality Reliable Main Crop as In Brown Turkey.It is very rear that you will find a fig Tree with both Breba and Main crop Reliable and high quality.
    Also on the east coast with cold climate some trees that might have two crops elswhere will only have one main crop here.So you see just be patient you will for sure have a Main crop in End of August-September.And this main crop is higher quality than breba anyway.Regards

• Scott F Smith
    17 years ago

My brebas seem to be stalling -- they are mostly full-sized but haven't ripened and have stayed the same size for a long time. The main crop is going to catch up with them in a few weeks! Do brebas usually make it? I have them on two different trees now and both seem to be stalled.

Scott

• btropical256
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yep thats exactly what my brebas been doing. The main crop is outdoing the breba. I pinched the tops off after the 6th leaf as it recommends on a website and i noticed a quick jump in size on the main crop.

• kiwinut
    17 years ago

I harvested 4 ripe breba figs from my Marseilles over the past few days. They just sat there doing nothing for weeks, then suddenly got much bigger and ripened in a few days. They were large and sweet, but nothing to get excited about. While all my other figs have good sized main crops going, the Marseilles has none. Can the main crop get delayed by allowing the brebas to ripen?

• User
    17 years ago

Yes it gets delayed a little bit but if the season is long enough it will get ripe in late fall.If not ,well this is the gamble.
    My Marseilles has two breba ,stagnated in size and a medium size number of main crop figs ,still small in size ,the size of a corn kernell as we speak.
    I will report if they ever get ripe.
    If the main crop do not get ripe ,next year i am going to remove the breba myself,in order to speed up the main crop.Please Report if your main crop matures in the Fall.Regards.

• goodground
    17 years ago

I'm in the same boat. I only have about 3 figs left of my first crop. Not sure if they will get ripe. The first fig of the second fruits just popped out today. I hope I will have enough time to ripen the main crop.

• elder
    17 years ago

kiwinut - I picked the first brebba from my Marseilles today, as you say, it was nothing to get excited about. I have eight more brebbas which have enlarged and gotten yellow within the past two days. However, my Marseilles is just covered with main crop figs, some almost as large as a quarter. It seems that the ripening brebba crop, admittedly small, has had no effect on the main crop. Last year I only had the brebba crop, and wasn't too thrilled about them - hope the main crop this year is an improvement.....Elder

• kiwinut
    17 years ago

My Marseilles was planted in spring '04. It has gotten quite large, but this is the first year to produce anything. I think last year it had a couple of brebas that aborted. Maybe next year it will produce a main crop. I did pinch many of the shoots earlier this spring. A smaller Hardy Chicago next to it, planted at the same time, is loaded with fruit right now.

~kiwinut

• palmfan
    17 years ago

In New York I once had three crops ripen on Marseilles and Hardy Chicago. The first crop of the Marseilles had more flavor than the main crop. I no longer try for three crops, even here in 7b New Jersey since late growth is less hardy.My figs did better without any wrapping, even when I lived in Newe York! The trick was to discourage any late growth by withholding supplemental water in late summer.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus