Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
achang89

Help to ID a Fig

achang89
11 years ago

I received this fig from a nice fellow. He was not sure exactly what kind of fig this it. It could be Hardy Chicago, or it could be just a dward fig. Here I took some photos:

Is this Chicago Hardy? Thx.

Comments (8)

• budbackeast
    11 years ago

Hello achang89 ,

Good pictures! It's the middle of the week, so give folks a chance to find this thread. Fig ID is a specialty for some of the good folks in this forum.

Have you ever gotten fruit? If so, what color is the fruit, iside and outside? Folks will find this information very useful.

And is this your first fig tree? Do you live near the coast? Near the coast, it is possible to grow these in the ground. If you intend to keep this tree in a container, I'd suggest you repot this nice tree in the fall or spring - into a much larger container.

• achang89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is the first time I'm with this plant. So no fruit yet.

I used to grow several figs in the warm south. I did not bother with the tender plants when I moved up here. My neighbor covered their fig in the winter, so I decided to give it a try.

If this is the hardy type, I'd like to grow in the ground. Not sure if I'd cover it over the winter. If this is tender, then I'll probably grow it in the pot and move it to the garage. I may have to cut it down to reduce its size. The max size pot I can find is 15 gallon (or 20??) nursery pot. I can certainly get a half barrel, but I do not want a huge tree in the garage.
    Thx.

• herman2_gw
    11 years ago

It is not a Hardy Chicago,this is all I can tell you for sure ,at this point in time without having ripe fruits to show.
    Most likely a white fig,but not sure.

• noss
    11 years ago

Hi,

How tall is this fig tree right now? It's certainly a very pretty, healthy-looking tree. Good luck with it.

noss

• achang89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It is just a foot tall now. I just repoted it into a 5-gallon pot.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    11 years ago

It's not an easy thing you ask. You have baby leaves, and by those, I would say it's either 5-lobed, lobes spatulate--Calimyrna (G) Base calcarate: Lobes latate--Mission (E) Lobes lyrate--San Piero (F)

Look at the link I posted. You really need to wait for the fruit, see what the outside color is, and the flesh color, the taste, blah blah.

I love Rays Figs links because he is the king of explaining, but even then, nothing is perfect. And really it gets down to this: Do you like the flavor of the fig? If not, kick it to the curb and get another one you love!!

Suzi

Here is a link that might be useful: Identifying Figs

• achang89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, since I have no plan to plant it in ground a this point, so I can certainly wait for it to fruit (hope it does). Then I can decide to: plant in ground, pot it, or discard it....
    Thx.

• budbackeast
    11 years ago

"Then I can decide to: plant in ground, pot it, or discard it...."
    That is one healthy fig tree you have there. Let's rewrite your comment to:'"plant it in ground, pot it, or cut it to pieces and mail the cuttings to the other forum folks... or craigslist it!"

Nice Tree. Many options. My guess is that it will bring you tasty figs and you will want to keep it.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES