Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gorgi_gw

kkfromnj

gorgi
12 years ago

Hi Keith.

Hope all is well with you and your family...

Where are you? What happened?

We all miss both your fig expertise and postings!

For those who do not know Keith, he was the original finder

of a locally good fig now known as the "Lyndhurst White".

He also found at least 2 more local figs; I have one of them

(temp. marked as KK for now).

Comments (22)

• wildforager
    12 years ago

Yea, I got a Lyndhurst Black cutting from Keith when I was getting into figs and its doing well now. Hope you're doing well too, Keith! I miss your presence here also.

• gorgi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bump!
    Note: Keith's fig is a L.Wht and not L.Blk
    Or is there another one???...

• peak42
    11 years ago

Keith,
    We hope you are doing well.
    Phil from Northern Ohio

• hoosierbanana
    11 years ago

I got Lyndhurt Black, aka Antionio Black from KK this spring. From an old ebay ad of his:
    "If you want IâÂÂll include a couple of cuttings from an unknown medium sized local fig Antonio Black (AKA Lyndhurst Black)"

• kkfromnj
    11 years ago

Hey Guys, I'm still alive, How's everyone been?

Still my Mom's favorite LW

• ottawan_z5a
    11 years ago

Good to hear from Keith.
    Lyndhurst White is my favourite too in the light colour figs.

• kubota1
    11 years ago

Do you guys have Lyndhyrst White growing in ground?

• ottawan_z5a
    11 years ago

I have it in a 7-gallon pot.
    I can't even imagin it in ground in Zone 5a. It will take a lot of work to insulate it outside.

• kubota1
    11 years ago

Thanks Ottawan, Looks like another on my wishlist! I still gotta get that vista mission, that's on top!

• ekierk
    11 years ago

Is the Lyndhurst White cold hardy to zone 6a in the ground with no protection?

• gorgi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ahhaaa!

Thank you God; Mr big-tall-man KK is still alive...

I do have one other 'unknown' fig from you KK - still simply marked as 'KK'.
    There was something that sounded like Wellington(sp?) attached to it.

Is that one the Lyndhurst Black?

Here is a pic of the original Lyndhurst White twig I rooted from you back in them good old days...

• kkfromnj
    11 years ago

Hey George,

Wellington is probably Wallington Blue, the one the owner called mafia fig. He never covered it. Mine was kinda neglected in a root bound pot the last couple of years. The Breba were supposed to be better than the main. This is the first year I got a breba and it really wasnâÂÂt anything special. IâÂÂm going to move it to a tub next year and see what happens.

I have 2 LW in ground, covered the first couple of years but donâÂÂt anymore. Normally suffers some winter damage. The owner disappeared a year after I met him, his tree disappeared the following year.

Antonio Black (aka Lyndhurst Black) is still there, I think Antonio is no longer with us. This was the first year the tree wasnâÂÂt covered. Seemed to make it OK. He had 2 other figs also uncovered (this year) that were loaded with yellow and green figs. I saw his brother doing the lawn a couple of weeks ago. Stopped and had a talk but he knew almost no English. I couldnâÂÂt make him understand I could grow a tree from a cutting. He kept on motioning to the ground trying to tell me it needs roots. I gave up. I wish I knew some Italian.

I found a few this summer that look promising. None get covered.

Main Street Purple

Uhland Street Sweet

JohnâÂÂs Palisade Green is one of the biggest trees IâÂÂve seen in NJ but does split after heavy rain.

Getty Green

Hope all is well with everyone

• gorgi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Simply put. Awesome!

• kkfromnj
    11 years ago

Any of you Leaf Detectives venture a guess?

I think I saw similar leaves on eBay recently. I don't have any fig pix

• gorgi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

VdB, RdB, Valle Negra, Brunswick, ...

• gorgi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Stella, BT/TE_1,2(Long Brown Honey),

• kkfromnj
    11 years ago

Thanks George. Rdb was the first thing that came to mind. My Vdb leaves are close but really not like that. Never grew the other 4

I was in Clifton the other day and saw this branch sticking out right across the sidewalk. His whole side yard was wire mesh about 10 feet high covered in vines. So thick I couldnâÂÂt even see into his yard. I did my part for public safety :)

• lebmark
    11 years ago

My friend lives in Staten Island, NY,
    have 3 tree of this kind same Leaves and the fruit were medium to large the color green to Brown, and the Pulp is red Inside, right away an eBay Auction (that had a big controversy on the other fig forum)came to my Mind, he planted them last year and he got some fruit to ripen this year. he liked the taste,He never covered them. just you can check the other forum under fake RDB you will find it the same leaves and same fruit.
    Mark

• kkfromnj
    11 years ago

Thanks, I'll see if I can find it on Figs4fun

• ediblelandscaping.sc
    11 years ago

looks like Brunswick, I also have a fig called 311-b with a similar leaf pattern.

• figgrower2015
    9 years ago

This message for kubota1 I have to tell you you have a beautifull fig trees my dream is to get mine about 7 of them bear good figs just like yours

my zone is 5b

my question is can you share the secret thank you