Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
kkfromnj

Posted by gorgi z6b_NJ (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 29, 11 at 16:36

Hi Keith.

Hope all is well with you and your family...

Where are you? What happened?
We all miss both your fig expertise and postings!

For those who do not know Keith, he was the original finder
of a locally good fig now known as the "Lyndhurst White".

He also found at least 2 more local figs; I have one of them
(temp. marked as KK for now).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: kkfromnj

Yea, I got a Lyndhurst Black cutting from Keith when I was getting into figs and its doing well now. Hope you're doing well too, Keith! I miss your presence here also.

o

• Posted by gorgi z6b_NJ (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 18, 12 at 11:53

Bump!
Note: Keith's fig is a L.Wht and not L.Blk
Or is there another one???...

o

Keith,
We hope you are doing well.
Phil from Northern Ohio

o

I got Lyndhurt Black, aka Antionio Black from KK this spring. From an old ebay ad of his:
"If you want I’ll include a couple of cuttings from an unknown medium sized local fig Antonio Black (AKA Lyndhurst Black)"

o

He is still posting a few plants on ebay I just seen a vista mission fig listed by him about 2 weeks ago. I'll send him a message letting him know you all are looking for him. in the mean time while we wait for him to respond if anyone wants to trade cuttings please feel free to email me.

o

Hey Guys, I'm still alive, How's everyone been?

Still my Mom's favorite LW

Photobucket

o

Good to hear from Keith.
Lyndhurst White is my favourite too in the light colour figs.

o

• Posted by kubota1 6a western, pa. (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 2, 12 at 21:24

Do you guys have Lyndhyrst White growing in ground?

o

I have it in a 7-gallon pot.
I can't even imagin it in ground in Zone 5a. It will take a lot of work to insulate it outside.

o

Thanks Ottawan, Looks like another on my wishlist! I still gotta get that vista mission, that's on top!

o

Is the Lyndhurst White cold hardy to zone 6a in the ground with no protection?

o

Ahhaaa!

Thank you God; Mr big-tall-man KK is still alive...

I do have one other 'unknown' fig from you KK - still simply marked as 'KK'.
There was something that sounded like Wellington(sp?) attached to it.

Is that one the Lyndhurst Black?

Here is a pic of the original Lyndhurst White twig I rooted from you back in them good old days...

LW fig plant

o

Hey George,

Wellington is probably Wallington Blue, the one the owner called mafia fig. He never covered it. Mine was kinda neglected in a root bound pot the last couple of years. The Breba were supposed to be better than the main. This is the first year I got a breba and it really wasn’t anything special. I’m going to move it to a tub next year and see what happens.

I have 2 LW in ground, covered the first couple of years but don’t anymore. Normally suffers some winter damage. The owner disappeared a year after I met him, his tree disappeared the following year.

Antonio Black (aka Lyndhurst Black) is still there, I think Antonio is no longer with us. This was the first year the tree wasn’t covered. Seemed to make it OK. He had 2 other figs also uncovered (this year) that were loaded with yellow and green figs. I saw his brother doing the lawn a couple of weeks ago. Stopped and had a talk but he knew almost no English. I couldn’t make him understand I could grow a tree from a cutting. He kept on motioning to the ground trying to tell me it needs roots. I gave up. I wish I knew some Italian.
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc141/night__rider/ABf.jpg

I found a few this summer that look promising. None get covered.

Main Street Purple
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc141/night__rider/MSPsm.jpg

Uhland Street Sweet
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc141/night__rider/UhlandStSweet.jpg

John’s Palisade Green is one of the biggest trees I’ve seen in NJ but does split after heavy rain.
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc141/night__rider/JohnsPalisadeGreen8-24-2012fruit.jpg

Getty Green
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc141/night__rider/Getty-Greensm.jpg

Hope all is well with everyone

o

Simply put. Awesome!

o

Any of you Leaf Detectives venture a guess?

I think I saw similar leaves on eBay recently. I don't have any fig pix

o

VdB, RdB, Valle Negra, Brunswick, ...

o

• Posted by gorgi z6b_NJ (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 14, 12 at 11:14

Stella, BT/TE_1,2(Long Brown Honey),

o

Thanks George. Rdb was the first thing that came to mind. My Vdb leaves are close but really not like that. Never grew the other 4

I was in Clifton the other day and saw this branch sticking out right across the sidewalk. His whole side yard was wire mesh about 10 feet high covered in vines. So thick I couldn’t even see into his yard. I did my part for public safety :)

o

My friend lives in Staten Island, NY,
have 3 tree of this kind same Leaves and the fruit were medium to large the color green to Brown, and the Pulp is red Inside, right away an eBay Auction (that had a big controversy on the other fig forum)came to my Mind, he planted them last year and he got some fruit to ripen this year. he liked the taste,He never covered them. just you can check the other forum under fake RDB you will find it the same leaves and same fruit.
Mark

o

Thanks, I'll see if I can find it on Figs4fun

o

looks like Brunswick, I also have a fig called 311-b with a similar leaf pattern.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here