Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thunderbird1956

Green Cuttings Available in VA

thunderbird1956
11 years ago

My grandmother just to cut back her fig tree, tentatively ID�ed as Battaglia Green by Herman (Petersburg Mother).

I wanted to find out if there is anyone local to the Northern VA / DC / Southern MD area (Falls Church, VA) that would be interested in picking up some of the green cuttings. I am only doing the green cuttings locally because this is a hellish week for me where I haven't been getting home until 2 AM and they will have to be sitting out in 100 degree heat.

Pics are posted on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/82485642@N00/sets/72157627503443144/

This year the figs are currently forming now and I currently have new ones popping up with the older ones already being around the size of a quarter. They tend to become ripe in late August or early September. The produce for a long time last year I think the last one I got was in October 20th.

It is an open eye when ripe, but closed until right before it becomes ripe, low splitting.

The most insect damage is from ants but they go after the figs one at a time and usually are the ones that might have split open from too much watering. It does not seem to attract wasps the same way other figs I know of do.

It had done well in zone 7a for well over 50 years with minimal die-back.

I personally really like the flavor and like any fresh grown fig WAY better than what you will find in stores. I like the interior taste better than the skin as the skin always seems a little bit bitter to me, but your mileage may very.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor