Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rycooder

something eating my leaves

rycooder
10 years ago

What would be eating the leaves on my tree, I found a big butterfly in there today

Comments (8)

• bonsaist
    10 years ago

This looks like FMV deformed leaves from what I can tell from the leaf.

Bass

• ediblelandscaping.sc
    10 years ago

other than that leaf the rest of the plant looks healthy. I'm not too familiar with Canadian pest but if it's a larvae of some sort Agricultural diatomaceous earth will work well. if it's FMV you should feel lucky that your tree looks so well. Good luck figuring it out and please share photo's of your ripe figs.

• rycooder
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info will post pics when the figs are ripe :)

• johnsvmf
    10 years ago

Looks like cold weather damage to me. I had several frost scares in West Virginia where I had to drag out tarps and cover my trees. Some of the plants that were not adequately protected look just like the leaf you posted. If the new leaves look healthy I wouldn't worry. Figs trees have a natural insect preventive property. The milky sap usually entraps them and kills them. It is unusual for figs to have pests aside from ants that colonize in the pots.

I hope my comments help.
    Vinnie

• chrisware
    10 years ago

Vinnie,
    Where in wv are you? I'm near buckhannon. I only have 2 Chicago trees but would really like to hear from someone who grows them in our area.
    Chris
    Chrishware@aol.com

• ediblelandscaping.sc
    10 years ago

johnsvmf, there is a new pest that poses a problem for fig growers all up and down the east coast. it's called Megacopta cribraria AKA the KUDZU BUG!!!! They will suck the juices from the plants until the plant dies and we can thank China for it's recent arrival. I encourage everyone to keep an eye on this bug. it may also transmit FMV from tree to tree but no research has been done on the bug vs fig trees. They love fig trees, soybeans, and many other edible crops. their host plant kudzu, is a wild plant I'm sure we all know, we can think china for it too. They have been damaging food crops for the past few years now and they also move inside homes and buildings in winter so it's only a matter of time before these pest are brought into the spotlight of the fig community and the world. Now found in almost every state on the east coast and moving west so keep your eyes out for these little bastards and kill all you see. Clemson University is working with the federal government to find a solution but public awareness is also important.

• rycooder
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No it's not frost because it's in a green house and I am not sure it's FMV because it's only about 4 leafs that are effected and this is the first year I seen it on this tree

• ediblelandscaping.sc
    10 years ago

the thing with FMV is it can lay dormant then just appear. it can also be transmitted to your other trees via mites or by pruning with unsanitized tools. clean your tools after each tree & keep an eye out for mites. keep your tree happy and you should be fine even if it is FMV. It's just one of those things fig growers are going to have to deal with until someone figures something out.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm