Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fluffyfinch

Moving to a colder climate :(

fluffyfinch
11 years ago

I have been basking in the warm weather of Escondido, CA for awhile now, and my young figs have benefited enormously from being out of my former condo balcony and out in an open orchard. However, to my gardening dismay, my family is anticipating moving to the Reston, VA vicinity in a couple years, for at least 3 years. This means renting out my house and abandoning the care of my fruit trees to a stranger. When you know people who can't even water a patio plant, this is a scary thought. Hopefully they can watch over a basic drip system!

In the meantime, I was thinking of starting some cuttings of cold-hardy figs so that I can have some small potted fig trees to take with me to Reston (zone 6b I believe). I don't want to wait to start cuttings once I get there. I plan on keeping the figs in large pots and will attempt to protect them during the winter.

What cold-hardy varieties (and small trees overall) would you guys recommend?

Comments (8)

• eukofios
    11 years ago

I don't know about zone 6B but I've had several varieties survive freezes down to 15 to 20 F. I am zone 8 but I think it used to be Zone 7. That includes Hardy Chicago, Petite Negri, Sal's Fig, and one that is probably a Brunswick. If yours are in containers, you can store them in a somewhat protected place such as attached garage in the winter. My Sal's fig was outdoors in a flowerpot and froze solid at about 15 degrees one winter, and is still growing happily. It's been in a container for 5 years. One fig forum member is in Chicago or nearby and keeps his in an unheated shed (I think) during the winter. Another member is in New Jersey and I think he grows his in the ground.

The link is a place in Virgina that grows figs. I can't vouch for them - it's from a google search.

As for other types of trees for containers, I have a Meyer Lemon that I've grown in containers for 5 years. I gets a few lemons each year. This winter I left it in the basement for the whole winter due to a kitchen renovation. It looked dead, so I hauled it into the back yard to throw away,. Then there was a freeze. When I got around to throwing it away, there was new growth, so I cut off the dead branches and kept it. There were no leaves at all. There are now many new branches, and one flower, 2 months later. I also have a kumquat but it's new.

Here is a link that might be useful: virginia berry farm figs

• fluffyfinch
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the link!

• budbackeast
    11 years ago

Hey eukofios!

That link showed me that my original fig tree here in Florida is a Chicago Hardy variety. I have given out cuttings for years, and everybody has gobs of figs from these trees - here in Florida! Hardy indeed!

Thanks for the link.

And to fluffyfinch,

When you get to your new East-Coast home, you will find many good folks there who will happily get some cuttings to you. Hauling a small tree across the continent is a daunting task. You will be going from warm, arid Escondido to a muggy, damp place with difficult winters. Might wish to wait until you get there and just start anew.

Need free cuttings? Email me in the winter. 3 free to you, postage paid. I will send you Chicago Hardy, plus a black fig and a white fig cutting of uncertain varieties. Get you off to a good start.

• fluffyfinch
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you budbackeast--that is a very kind offer!

• eukofios
    11 years ago

Glad it helped! Good luck with fig growing! Mine are so close to ripening - can't wait!

• Jordana George
    11 years ago

I'm in zone 6 in New Mexico and there are several old figs in my town. A south facing sheltered spot is your best bet obviously. A guy in Albuquerque called the fig man has lots of cold hardy figs, just google him. He ships I believe. Good luck.

• Patrick888
    11 years ago

Consider 'Violette du Bordeaux'...aka 'Negronne'...small enough it could be grown in a container, but listed as quite hardy. Here are comments from Thompson & Morgan:

Fig 'Violette de Bordeaux' is a particularly hardy variety. Dating from around 1680, itwas found to thrive in Versailles gardens during the cold winter months. The small, purple black figs have a marvellous perfume and a lovely sweet flavour. Fig 'Violette de Bordeaux' produces two crops per year, and if protected over winter the second crop will ripen early during the following summer. Height: 3m (9�). Spread: 4m (13�).

I'm growing one this year for the first time. A GW friend gave me a good sized & well-rooted sucker from his plant. I'm hoping to have some fruit next year.

• foolishpleasure
    11 years ago

It is sad to hear you are leaving the warm California to cold Va. I live in the vicinity and it is a pain in the azz to maintain fig trees in cold climate. I have seven fig trees some are brown turkey and some are Italian and one is Chicago hardy. I PLANTED THEM IN POTS and put holes in the bottom of the pots. The pots are planted in the garden soil. I don't allow them to grow over 6 feet and late fall I trim it to 4 feet so they can hibernate in the garage. I am getting heavy production of fresh figs to eat and we can what we can not eat fresh. But just too much labor involved for an old man.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks