Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It's not a WEED!!

Posted by desertdance So.CA LowDesert (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 13, 10 at 17:35

When I got my cuttings from UC Davis, on the advice of some old Greek I encountered on the web, I laid some of them in 1.5" trenches, and covered them with dirt. The sun and water faded the ID tags, so I had no clue what was coming up.

Most of my cuttings are grape vines, and they pop up here and there. I noticed a row of 3 vines and have them staked. Then I spot one more plant coming up very close to those three.

This plant looks very strange to me. I think it's a grape, but it has odd looking leaves. I lived with this mystery for a few days, and today, I actually touched the leaves, and looked under them. They were very stiff. Not floppy at all. Is this a weed?

Suddenly, the light bulb went on! It's a FIG!! Which one? Ah ha!! Since the well marked one in peat/perlite is a Black Mission, and looks entirely different from the mystery Fig, it has to be Panachee!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It's not a WEED!!

Congratulations desertdance. Once again an old tried and true fig rooting/propagation method has produced yet more trees to enjoy.

Two very nice figs for hot desert climates too.

o

Very nice!

I discovered a volunteer fig this spring....and I thought it was a grape at first, too!

Josh

o

A new one popped up this morning in an entirely different spot. Of course, the ID tag is gone, but time will tell if it's another Panachee, or Violette Du Bordeaux, or Black Mission. It's leaves are very tiny, but I'm savvy now! I know a baby fig from a baby grape!!

This is fun, even if they are mystery figs!!
Suzi

o

lucky for you these trees all have fruit that is easily differentiated one from another.

o

Another one popped up today! So, they were all laid in the ground around April 1st, and 3 months later, I'm still seeing new figs come up! So, patience is important with these figs! And it will be fun to see which tree is which variety. Next year, I hope!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here