Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stepandfetch

Enormous Yellow Figs

stepandfetch
13 years ago

So I was driving on highway 168/158 from Norfolk VA down to Hatteras Lighthouse for a day trip. As I crossed into rural land, I soon realized the profuse population of large fig trees in this area. I saw a fig tree at least every mile... at least... I only stopped at a couple to look for brebas or some variety I did not have in my collection. Most were celeste or brown turkey, but I did find what looked like kadota and several brunswick trees. I stopped at an old, dilapidated gas station to check the map and noticed a large fig tree around the side of the gas station. I got out, walked towards the fig tree, and from 15 feet away, I could already smell the thick, pungent odor.. it smelled like mango and a bit funky like the celeste cat pee smell. Within 10 feet, I could easily see that this was no ordinary fig tree. The leaves looked much like brunswick leaves, but the figs.. well.. they were easily the largest figs I had ever seen. They were bright, banana yellow. Nearly all brebas were not fully ripened, yet each was larger than most pears at grocery stores. I found one ripe breba, and it had little black specks all over it. I pulled it off and ate it. For its size, this fig really had very little taste. Perhaps a slight "figgy" taste and a little molasses taste, but not much else. There were very few seeds. The pulp was amber all through. I know sometimes brebas can be tasteless, and hopefully this is an example of that. I am still astounded by the size of these figs....

But if any of you guys are interested in adding some old heirloom southern figs to your collection, you really must drive down this highway.. it seemed like there was a fig tree in every front yard and next to every barn or other old, empty building. I have never seen such things in the upper south like I have seen on this road. It is difficult to concentrate on driving.

Sorry no pictures.... next time.....

Comments (61)

• stepandfetch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

oh yea I forgot this- I talked to the guy working the counter at the gas station, and he said that the figs were pretty good later in the year...so not quite sure what that means, I will find out next year.

Are there any known yellow fig varieties that put out ripe brebas consistently larger than most pears? I have seen my alma put out one or two pear-sized figs in the past decade or so, but nothing like this mystery tree. Even if the main crop figs are nothing more than mediocre I will keep this tree for sure, just because of the amazing size.

I could tell the main crop figs were going to be very large as well.. at the end of June when I discovered the tree they, while still very young, were larger than most ripe figs I have eaten, regardless of variety.

• archon218
    13 years ago

Do you have any pictures of the fruit. I would like to get some cuttings in feb- march to see if I can grow it.

• igo4fish
    13 years ago

hello, stepandfetch!

Please add me to your list of people interested in the enormous yellow fig cuttings. I am in South-Central Texas and am curoius how our loooong summers will impact this fig. My email addy is go4broek at msn.com. I will gladly send you the shipping materials and postage. Thanks!!- Ruben

• debbies_cockatiels_2
    13 years ago

Hello Stepandfetch,
    Can you please add me to that list of fig lovers who are
    interested in your enormous yellow fig cuttings. I can send
    you my list of figs I have for a trade or I can pay for
    postage. My email is debbiescockatiels at yahoo dot com.
    Thank You, Debbie

• vito12831
    13 years ago

Hi Stepandfetch
    I would like you to add me to the list for cuttings, if possible ,I will buy or trade.
    Thank you
    Vito

• winterville
    13 years ago

Stepandfetch,
    If you get a chance to get some cuttings please add me to your list for cuttings. Just let me know what the price is and I will gladly send it.
    Thanks
    Mike

• figsin7b
    13 years ago

Can you give some GPS coordinates? ...or better directions?
    I might have a look at the fig if I am in the area.

• figsin7b
    13 years ago

bump

• dbkh
    13 years ago

Me too ;Were these in VA or NC on 168?
    Also trade / pay.
    Thanks

• texascockatoos
    13 years ago

Hi stepandfetch,

I would be interested in buying or trading for a cutting if you get plenty.
    Please add me to your list.
    Thanks,
    Cathy

• stepandfetch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

no GPS coordinates lol, no pics. I did not have a chance to visit this tree over Christmas break, but I will definitely see it over the summer.

I have found the place on google maps! the store is sky blue.. its a bait & tackle store but also a convenience store and a hunting supply store. There is a rectangular winchester sign out front. The parking lot is rectanglular and gravel. the store is 40-50 feet away from teh road. The adjacent house is grey and two stories. the google maps shot was taken when the fig tree was very small... probably 6-7 years ago but its hard to know for sure. Between the buildings is a green dumpster. The store and house is on the right side of 168. There is a very large river birch that blocks the view of the fig tree, although the tree is much larger now.

From google maps, the approximate address is:

4489 Caratoke Highway, Barco, NC

good luck guys, that is the best I can do for now!

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=36.365583,-75.968909&spn=0.002812,0.004823&t=h&z=18

• dbkh
    13 years ago

>>around the side of the gas station...
    Where is the tree?
    Thanks

• genecolin
    13 years ago

Give this a try. It should show you a map with the cordinates of the location as given. Zoom in if possible to see more closely where it's at. Good luck on the fig hunt.
    "gene"

copy and paste in you address window.
    http://mapshare.delorme.com/Consumer/V.aspx?p=1wr7whwg

• figsin7b
    13 years ago

"The store and house is on the right side of 168."

I assume you mean 158?
    Thanks for the directions!

• stepandfetch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

yea 158, and the fig tree is behind the river birch.. the images were taken probably right after the tree was planted.

• dbkh
    13 years ago

I see the sky blue shop, dumpster, and the house, but where is the gas station...
    Where is the tree?

• stepandfetch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I "misremembered" the store as being a gas station. the tree is only a foot tall or so and is in the concave corner of the house directly behind the larger tree (which I think is a river birch)..if you passed by it today you would easily see the fig tree.

• dbkh
    13 years ago

Thanks
    Sounds like a great adventure.

• stepandfetch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

well if anyone ventures out there before this summer, I'd love some cuttings if you can spare

• kadasuki
    13 years ago

I too would like some cuttings. Please add me to the list.

• dragonking1959
    13 years ago

I will love some cuttings too, please, add me to yours list..
    Thank you!
    Olya.

• stepandfetch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Look, I'm not going to be getting back there until MID SUMMER at the earliest, so maybe someone else closer by can find it sooner, considering that mid summer is a terrible time to be starting new cuttings

• lee_in_iowa
    13 years ago

Hmmm. I'll be down there in late July..... Meanwhile, will read up on rooting green cuttings. (I know it's possible to root green tip cuttings taken in summer, but some places, like UCDavis, say they're not as successful.)

If I get there, I'll let y'all know. (Took a screenshot of stepnfetchit's instructions. Always take laptop everywhere.)

Lee in Iowa (but really a Virginia gal)

• jolj
    13 years ago

Thanks for sharing.

• stepandfetch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have had good success with just pinching the leaves off and sticking them in 50/50 soil & perlite.. of course the success rate is lower than with cuttings in march, but it works fine.

• jimmieldavis
    13 years ago

Bump

Any follow up on this thread? Has anyone started rooting? Any info on ease of rooting, etc.? Would like to know before I close an open loop.

JD

• stepandfetch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

an open loop? a friend rooted a few cuttings and one survived, though they had no idea what they were doing. I will definitely take cuttings this summer, but I doubt I will take enough to fulfill everyone's needs.

• jimmieldavis
    13 years ago

Step,

I hope this answers your "open loop?" question...

Apologies for vague term. When I said open loop, I simply meant something that was "not done yet" or "unresolved" or "still needs work". And I was talking about me fulfilling your request for LSU Gold cuttings. Once I return from travel, I will close the loop. Will you please send me your USPS mailing address?

You mentioned this "Enormous Yellow Fig" thread in your email so I read it to be informed and see if I was interested.

Thanks,
    JD

• ben_in_sofla
    13 years ago

Here's an update for y'all.... I have in my grubby not so little hands some cuttings from this tree and a few more cuttings from same type of tree at another location. Out of respect for my source, I will keep my source private for the time being.

I just put them in water to root and at this moment I can only assure stepnfetch of a rooted cutting in a few weeks. For bringing this tree to our attention. I will have some available down the road as these little sticks grow. If others can get by the location and get a couple of cuttings that is great. I am just happy to have secured some.... YIPPEEEEEE!!!

• hrhcsh
    13 years ago

Ben, I have been searching and found the name of the business next to the house with the yellow fig tree, Is the house the residence of the owner of the business ?

Thanks

• stepandfetch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I believe it is but I'm not sure, and it is fantastic that somebody else finally got to this tree!!! The figs look like yellow pears, but near the eye there is some brown splotching, like with the smith figs. I hope I'm not over-hyping the size of this one.

Ben it is interesting that you found another source.. meaning you talked to the owner of the store? He said that the figs were pretty tasty, so I'm hoping for the best with this one. Hopefully, down the road, we can try to figure out what this variety is. I think the fruit was pyriform but not sure. I am sure my memories are clouding up, but the funky, mango-like smell of the tree was easily one of the best smelling fig trees I have come across.

In a few days, I will be taking ownership of the one surviving plant from the cuttings I took last summer, and may be lucky enough to see a fig or two. good luck everybody! ready for summer!!

• ben_in_sofla
    12 years ago

I recently grafted some cuttings from this tree onto a couple of my ficazzana air layered trees and most have taken. I a week or so I'll ease them into full sun and try to expedite the growth rate as best I can.... Meanwhile you can see the grafts at...
    http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=5214230&pid=1268385370#post1268385370

• noss
    12 years ago

Hi Ben!

That's really exciting to hear. Why did you graft them onto the other RS?

I can't open the link you posted.

noss

• ben_in_sofla
    12 years ago

Noss, I grafted some cuttings onto the LARGER and FAST GROWING type of fig. The root stock plant is well established in a 7 gallon pot. Cuttings would take maybe a year or longer to produce, with the graft I can get fruit this year and possibly have plenty cuttings next spring.
    Try the link below, my original link was the copy and paste to a new browser tab variety.

Here is a link that might be useful: grafted fig pics

• noss
    12 years ago

Ben,

Thanks for the information and link. That's very interesting.

noss

• wally_1936
    12 years ago

I enjoyed all of the post, but do not see why anyone wants a fig that is almost tasteless. I have seen these fig the size of a baseball but none of them ever have much flavor. I saw one in the Freeport Texas area years ago. The tree was not that large, maybe 7' but not what you would call a full tree more like a maple tree in shape. The trunk was not that large. I just had my fig tree cut way back as it was over 20' by 20' with a 12" trunk. I prefer a bush where all the fruit can be enjoyed without a ladder. They also seem to put on more fruit in our area as a bush. It took about a half year to root the cutting to where I liked the way the roots looked before planting. I striped off all the leaves and just stuck it in water, placed it in the shade. During all that time I only added water when it got low in the summer months. Even with the temps getting down to 30 at nights it survived without being brought indoors. I know that low was short as the water never froze, Had roots about 8" long when I put it into the ground without anything except watering and placed it into our soil nothing else and it is doing fine.

• stepandfetch
    Original Author
    12 years ago

^^^It was a breba fig.. and brebas are commonly tasteless, and rarely as good as the main crop figs in august-october.

anyway, my "enormous yellow fig" tree is about a foot tall and I will have pics soon.

• stepandfetch
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi guys- I drove down to the Outer Banks today and had a wonderful time, though I discovered that the mystery fig had been pruned down dramatically, and had grown back to about half the size as it was last season. There were no breba or main crop figs, and there was absolutely no hardened wood for cuttings. The man I had met before was not working at Avis Sports that day, and the lady there had no idea about the history of the tree. So I still have my 2 foot tall "EYF" tree at home, but nothing more. Sorry guys.

• stepandfetch
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I forgot: My EYF fig tree is growing spectacularly. It has proven to be my second most vigorous tree, next to my Alma. It was about 5 inches at the beginning of the season, and has grown over two feet since. Though it is a bit lanky, the leaves are hilariously enormous, with some extending past 10 inches in length.

• noss
    12 years ago

Good luck with that EYF. May it continue to do well for you for years to come. :)

noss

• theman7676
    12 years ago

I will love some cuttings too, from this tree or any other variety .....that any of you have to share/spare....
    please add me to any of your lists.. or email
    elevary at hotmail.com
    of course i will pay for shipping with great pleasure

Thank you! eli

• PlantsofTurkey
    12 years ago

Can u propagate in fall?

Thanks,

Nazmi Cardak

Nazmi Ali Cardak

• eden-13
    11 years ago

Any pictures yet

• eden-13
    11 years ago

Any pictures yet?

• lisascenic Urban Gardener, Oakland CA
    11 years ago

What a fun story!

• stepandfetch
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey ya'll, it looks like someone revived this old thread. My tree is now about 2 feet tall, and will be transplanted once things warm up. it is very rootbound right now, so it will surely take off once in ground. It has survived several winters now, with no protection, so I assume it has adapted to my 7b climate. Anyway, I will take a picture in a month or so.
    Hey Ben, can you report any results from your cuttings?

Sorry about forgetting this thread, everybody

• vitalucky
    11 years ago

I am willing to buy or trade cuttings, just let me know

• tobybul2 - Zone 6 SW MI
    9 years ago

Anyone have cuttings to share? I only have one variety (Chicago) that I got from Lowes 3 years ago which is now on a container. Zone 5 Michigan. I finally read up on how to root cuttings and would appreciate anyone there who has other varieties to spare. Please let me know. My email is eurocars_mb@yahoo.com.

Thanks in advance.

• Ryan Hutchinson
    7 years ago

Any updates on this? Is this fig worth having?

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner