Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
samuelszs

Could this be a fig tree?

samuelszs
10 years ago

I just found this laying at the edge of my yard (literally, lying flat on the ground). We've never had a fig tree in the 16 years I've been living in this house. It looks like the main tree part was cut down at some point (16 years ago? could it last that long?) and now there are 4-5 striplings shooting off with lots of leaves. None are strong enough to stand up straight so I staked them until I can get more information. What do you think?

Comments (8)

• johnsvmf
    10 years ago

Possibly but my bet is it is a Mulberry tree. Fig trees and mulberry trees are closely related but the mulberry fruit is the end result of a traditional flower that is pollinated and then fruits. The fig tree is an inverted flower and the ones that do well in the north east don't need pollinated.

I hope my comments helped.
    Vinnie

• houstontexas123
    10 years ago

not a fig tree. i 2nd the mulberry.

• samuelszs
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've gotta' figure out how you do that!
    Oh, so disappointed. . .but thank you so much for the info!

• wisner_gw wisner
    10 years ago

Those sure look like fig leaves to me.

• samuelszs
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They do to me as well - the only difference I see between this and the Celeste I just got is that them stems are light(instead of dark & woody, like on the celeste) and don't really support themselves. I am so new at this though, so maybe I am missing something. I am going to make it a point to learn though :-).

• wisner_gw wisner
    10 years ago

Is it growing in a real shady location? That may be why the shoots are so weak.

• ediblelandscaping.sc
    10 years ago

it's a mulberry. Morus rubra L the US native Red mulberry to be exact. the reason why the leaves look similar to a fig is because they are distant relatives of fig trees of the Moraceae family . Check out the Che tree it's even more closely related to figs. Mulberries are well worth growing so don't hack it down unless it's directly over your driveway or house, then you might want to move it before the birds poop purple over everything you own. Away from the house and cars it makes a lovely tree up to 25 ft give or take and can be pruned so harvesting is made easier. It has wonderful fruits that taste and look alot like blackberries. they can be eaten fresh, frozen, or dried and are considered a super food. The leaf is also an important additive to animal feeds because of it's rich mineral content and has been known to increase egg production in chickens and milk production in goats. the leaves also work wonders in the compost come fall by adding a ton micro nutrients to the mix.

• nickl
    10 years ago

It is a mulberry plant - probably a white mulberry - not a fig.

Birds love all mulberries and scatter the seeds far and wide. Volunteer seedlings are usually white mulberries or sometimes hybrids of white and red mulberries.

White mulberry: