Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20005163

HELP! Dead/dying Fig Tree

User
12 years ago

Hi,

HELP - My fig tree is on its last legs and I'm hoping to save it. Figured the pros in the fig forum was my best shot!

Here's the background:

I have a lovely potted Celeste fig tree, it's a few years old and still quite small, 3 feet or so with a nice vase shape. It's grown well over the last couple of years, but last year I was away, and had a friend care for it over the summer so it barely got watered and didn't grow hardly at all. We had an extremely cold winter here in Philly and I debated whether to bring in inside or not. I had the year previous and I wondered if that was part of the reason for the stunted growth. I left it out this year, but wrapped it, and kept it right next to the house. We have a big front porch so it was definitely out of the wind, etc.

So once it started warming up here, late March or so, I pruned back some of the newest branches/tips because they had broken and/or looked dead. Otherwise I left it alone and waited. So fast forward to a month or so ago, and it still hadn't broken dormancy. I scratched the bark and it still was green at the top of the tree. I checked it a few times and the barks was still green up until a few weeks ago. Since then it appears to have died back all the way to the main trunk. Is there anything I can do at this point to save it?

THANKS!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022