Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nkesh099

A note about Mr. Robin's fig trees for sell

nkesh099
12 years ago

Hello fig friends,

Today I spoke to Mr. Robin and he wanted me to make a note about the fig trees that he has for sale for the reminder of this season.

He said that he only have a LIMITED number of trees for sale for the reminder of this season. So, he is taking orders now and will ship them out late November, early Dec. First come, first served.

You can just give him a call and ask about the variety/varieties of fig tree/trees that you are looking for.

Mr. Robin's phone number; 337-407-0188

Thank you all for reading this.

Navid

Comments (14)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

Every time I see this guy mentioned, I see warnings about RKN problems. Has he been able to address that in any way?

• nkesh099
    Original Author
    12 years ago

brandon,

I can assure you his trees are RNK free.
    Few months ago I went to his house (where his nursery is) and met him. There I pulled out over 40 fig trees out of their pot and inspected the roots for RNK, found non. I bought few fig trees from him, took them home washed all the soil from the roots, no RNK was founded.

I believe I was not the only one this year that purchased fig trees from him, there are other members that I know bought trees form JR only couple of months ago. And I am sure if they had received an infected tree from JR they would have spoken by now.

• rafed
    12 years ago

I never purchased anything from JR but I think his good reputation out weighs a couple of bad events.

I have heard nothing but good things about him and might purchase from him sometime in the near future.

No one nursery superior over another in regards to pests or diseases. They all have their issues of some sort or another. And no nursery is imune to pest and diseases. It comes with the territory. Love it or leave it and find another source of income.

Did he ever sell a RKN infected fig tree?
    Maybe?
    Did he know he was selling an infected tree? Don't think so.

Does that make him a bad businessman? I don't think so.

If the man took the time to pop off 40 trees to prove his trees are RKN free then that should say something about him. I think that speaks volume.

Just remember, There is always something that is going to slip through the cracks and fall on the wrong hands. And rather than to try to work it out with the seller they just rather smear this persons or any persons image.

It is much quicker to blog about for the whole World to see than to drive back to the store and replace it.

I learned long time ago to not to base my decisions on other peoples emotions but to find out for myself.

On the other hand there are a few nurseries I would not deal with only because there are too many complaints about them. 100 complaints about one beat the one with 3.

I say give the man a chance.

Good luck
    Rafed

• noss
    12 years ago

Hi Brandon,

I bought six fig trees from JR last season and they were all clear of RKNs and have done very well.

No nursery is safe from getting infested by something or other because we're dealing with nature and nature doesn't read the books to see how it's supposed to be. WE try to make rules for nature to follow and it just ain't gonna happen. All anyone can do is his best to keep tabs on his plants and if something crops up, take care of it the best way possible.

For example: One of the nurseries nearby got a shipment of Heavenly Bamboo in from CA and the bamboo came infested with scale. They made good on the plants they sent, but the nursery still has to deal with the scale getting on other plants and keep a good watch on them for a long time, as well as having to take measures to wash and spray their other plants. The bamboo can't be sold until the scale is gone, so the cost of that shipment is very high to the nursery. What a mess! The nursery people are doing the best they can to take care of the problem.

We should ALWAYS check any plant we get from anywhere to make sure it's free of RKNs, or any other kind of problem and that's just good practice to do so.

JR is a decent, honest man and he does his best with his plants. My husband and I have gotten to know him and he does his best and hates it if there's a problem and the person doesn't contact him to let him know. I think most anyone would feel the same way, but he does care about what he sells to people. Would he knowingly sell a fig tree he knew had RKNs--No.

Out of respect for other people, if I have a problem, the first person to know about it is the person I originally dealt with and usually, they are more than happy to take care of the problem and are so glad that I went back to them to give them the chance to rectify it.

noss

• danab_z9_la
    12 years ago

Brandon, the problem has been addressed to the greatest extent possible......even to the point of trashing and burning infected trees. JR personally inspects every tree before he ships it. That level of "quality control" is in itself a lot more than what many retail nurseries do.

RKN definitely is not unique to just JR nor to just fig trees. You can introduce RKN into your yard from other infected vegetables and plants. It is even possible to get it from some potting soils or mixes. As stated above...........ALWAYS check the roots on your purchased fig trees NO MATTER WHERE YOU PURCHASE THEM. Even if I were to send you a fig tree.....check it.

FYI, I have received fig trees from a couple of mail order Nurseries that most fig forum members "BELIEVE" would not have RKN in their inventory. The names would surprise you. And they too did not realize that they shipped an infected plant. It can happen to anybody.....

Dan
    Semper Fi-cus

• fernando_grow
    12 years ago

i've never written about james robin and i've been knowing him for about six years. i personally like him and for those who don't know him, he is an icon of a dying breed of man who owns a small nursery in the boonies of opelousas louisiana. james was very upset a few years back when rkn popped up in some of his fig trees. he works very hard in the propagation of his trees and getting to the origin of the rkn and stopping it was high on his priorties. i recall going to his place one day seeing about five trees put in a pile as he explained and showed me what rkn was. that was the first time i actually saw what rkn looked like. he took the rkn issue very seriously and talked about the ways he would remedy it.
    if you get the chance to visit jr you should take it because he is no spring chicken and tending to his ill wife betty on a pretty much full time basis has him really booked up. i gotta admire him for his loyality to his wife who needs 24\7 attention. he enjoys company and isn't shy about giving opinions on figs or any fruit. like i said, he is an icon particulary in the fig world with his mom and pop nusery in the boonies. i still depend on my gps to get me to his place. go when you can spend some time.
    fernando

• noss
    12 years ago

We just go up to 190 turn left and go to 357 and turn left and go until we come to the big fig orchard on the left then we know that shortly, JR's house will be on the right. There may be an easier way to get there, but I don't know what it is.

noss

• paully22
    12 years ago

I like the feedbacks on JR and it is so true that we should always give others a chance when they try hard to make things good. I am sure all of us had benefited from errors & appreciated the opportunities to make good. I would not hesitate to buy(I have not) from JR & I like his strengths in caring for his wife. Speaks volumes about his character.

• noss
    12 years ago

Hi Paully,

It's not easy for JR. He's a good old soul and a fine man. It's so hard to see ones mate's mind slipping away like that. It's so much easier when it's not someone related to you. God bless him. Thankfully they have some help with the situation and JR can work with his plants.

noss

• danab_z9_la
    12 years ago

Noss,

Helicopter is easier....... :>)

Dan
    Semper Fi-cus

• jolj
    12 years ago

There is a Guy who had a list & phone number on fig forum.
    I called him & he said that the whole area had RKN.
    There are over 2000 plant that the RKN live in.
    That is why you NEVER plant Night shade family, tomatoes, pepper, near a fig tree.
    I did not buy from that Gentleman (forgot his name), because his shipping from the west coast was to high( not his fault).
    I buy from "Petals from the Past, in Al., much cheater shipping, because they are closer.
    Anything they grow, will grow in S.C.

• wisner_gw wisner
    12 years ago

Would someone explain the effects of RNN on figs and how are they identified?

• fernando_grow
    12 years ago

wisner, RKN root knot nemotodes are microscopic critters that get passed along in soil. they thrive in the roots of fig trees and their presence is noted with galls or knots in the roots. these galls stress the roots and limit them from circulating proper nutrients to the tree. they travel in the soil and can attack other fig trees. i beleive they thrive better in sandy loom soil as opposed to a heavy clay.
    the best way to avoid them is to make sure you don't plant them in your yard from young trees infected by them. when ever you purchase a fig tree be sure to pull the tree out of the container and look for knots in the roots. the roots should be completely knot free. even one knot showing should not
    be purchased. the forum has some really good articles on RKN by folks who know a lot more than i. it is worth reading.
    fernando

• jolj
    12 years ago

I agree with fernando-grow.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022