Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ben_in_sofla

Fig growing in central-north Florida

ben_in_sofla
12 years ago

working on figuring out the optimum florida location for fig growing. Have plants inground in Gainesville and the ones near building have done excellent a few unprotected trees away from buildings did freeze back almost to the ground. Gainesville got down to the mid teens during the past couple of winters and I think the area west of Ocala might be best in terms of enough chilling hours for all around growing and yet not cold enough to damage any fig. Lowest acceptable temps would be low twentys.

Marion and Levy county so far look like a good spot, any fig growers in that area that can confirm or deny such ideas?

Ben

Comments (10)

• herman2_gw
    12 years ago

I wouldn't worry to much about getting them killed by frost in Central Florida,but I would worry about low land with,possibility of too much water in the soil(marsh).
    Choose a high elevation, ground spot for growing figs in Florida.

• herman2_gw
    12 years ago

You have to plant evergreen to block winds,that will do the trick in the winter.

• Geoff S
    12 years ago

Hi Ben...I just posted a question about whether a brown Turkey would do well in the West Palm Beach area. What varieties are you planning to grow?

Good luck,
    Geoff

• ben_in_sofla
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Geoff, I see this question kind of frequently. I had started to write a page long dissertion when my laptop froze and I lost the text. The short answer to your question is yes, however there are a lot side issues to fig care in South Florida and there are much better figs to grow here. As soon as I complete the South Florida fig growing tips, I will post them and save it for future reference

• daygrower
    12 years ago

Hi Ben
    I am in Live Oak North of Gainsville The problem I have had growing figs in ground is the fall can be warm so the plants keep growing then BAM!!!! we get a frost and they freeze to the ground because they are not hardened off yet.
    I have 5 acres that is surrounded by hay fields so no protection but I have clients that live near the suwannee river that get no die back at all.
    So I would say the land you get is more important than the county.
    By the way there is plenty of cheap land up here in suwannee county so come on up

• beachwreck
    12 years ago

Hi Ben, I just moved from Siesta Key in Sarasota. I had a nice Celeste for eight years that did very well.

I never had a frost during that time so chill hours was not an issue (nor cold damage).

The soil was very sandy and I had to water it daily in the summer or it would drop leaves and figs. It bore constantly from June thru Sept.

My biggest problem was critters. I lost 80% of my crop each year to them. The figs I harvested were delicious though small.

The tree was so vigorous, I would prune 6 feet off every winter. FL is great for figs!

• gonebananas_gw
    12 years ago

Old horticultural literature from Florida (first half of 20th Century) claimed that figs did best on soils that they termed "greasy" (or maybe it was "waxy") and derived from the weathering of shallow-lying limestone, more to the SW of Gainesville or W of Ocala.

That may have dealt in large part with nematodes, though perhaps general nutrition as well. You may be able to fumigate the soil pre-plant in any case.

• Granny10
    10 years ago

Does anyone know a good source for fig trees near Ocala? Since Porter's closed I am not sure where to look.

• paulijo
    7 years ago

I live in Flagler County and would like to grow a fig tree, will I be able to do this?

Sponsored