Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
herman2_gw

What fig did not perform ,satisfactory for you.

herman2_gw
15 years ago

For me,from what i remember,the following varieties,did not perform satisfactory here:

Red Italian

Brunswick

Quarter pounder

Melanzana

White Russian

White Genoa DFIC 30

Brookleen Wht

Dk. Italian

Rebeca

Megaceleste

Gentille

Encanto Brn Turkey

Early Violet

If you are one of the guys that traded cuttings with me,with these varieties,please do not fill offended.

This is my honest opinion about them in my climate!!!!!!

Comments (18)

• paully22
    15 years ago

Peter's Honey
    Stella
    Vern's Brown Turkey
    Mission(from Monrovia)

Could be due to young age of tree & climate. Trees were at least 3 yrs old.

• nude_gardener
    15 years ago

this year ALL of them are BAD except Paradiso is fine so far.
    i am sad about many of them and am waiting to see how Celeste is (if) going to perform this year.

• danab_z9_la
    15 years ago

I discarded a Texas Everbearing and a tasteless Brown Turkey. I just replaced that Brown Turkey with another that had ripe figs on it when I purchased it Saturday from Lowe's. This strain is very good and a definite keeper with a tight eye, so I'm definitely not anti-Brown Turkey.

• herman2_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes Dan You are right:there are good and bad brown Turkey.
    I also discarded a couple but i did not mentioned it because of this reason:not to talk bad about the good ones.
    I also discarded a Celeste for dropping figs without reason.
    Later I learned that all Celeste strains drop some of the crop,but is still valued for earliness and good flavor and taste plus is cold resistant.
    Best Regards

• gorgi
    15 years ago

Armenian - most fruit tastes like cardboard (even if/when they eveeentually ripen).
    Brunswick - spoils very easily while ripening in moist/wet weather. Include variants RI and QP.
    Madeleine des Deux Saisons - even spoils worst than Brunswick.
    Hybrid DFIC23 (F.carica x F.palmata) - has not produced anything apart huge leaves.

• mrfigncz8
    15 years ago

Dan & Herman,

I have also discarded several Brown Turkeys , but I have one that has been very satisfactory. I got cuttings from a 100 year old tree at Morrow Mountain, NC. over 20 years ago. I have revisited the tree several times since then and it still thrives and produces heavy crops with no care. It pretty much looks the same as other Brown Turkeys, but it produces a heavy crop of brebas of very good quality each year and the main crop is also heavy.

• gorgi
    15 years ago

Also like to add (as Herman said), that if any fig misbehaves
    in any particular USA region, it may BEHAVE good somewhere else.

Sooo, for when commenting/asking-questions, it is very
    important that your GW/FF profile shows clearly your
    "Zone"; e.g., mine is "z6b NJ", so that other people
    can relate to that important fact...

• bonsaist
    15 years ago

Herman,
    From my experience, trees grown in ground taste a little different than the ones in containers due to how they obsorb water. I also give the tree 3 years before deciding wether it's a good one or not.
    I'll have to send you some ripe brooklyn white figs in hope to change your mind. LOL
    I just picked a celeste #11 (excellent tasting) and 2 lynnhurst white ( mediocare flavor) yesterday.
    unsatifactory for me so far are:

Petite nigri
    yellow Marseille
    Brunswick
    Brown turkey (store bought)

Bass

• herman2_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bass:I will never change my mind about Brooklin Wht.
    Please do not send any figs to me.
    I watched it for 3 years splitting like no other ,worse than Brunswick.And it taste "tasteless".
    And Yes I discarded the Yellow Marseilles from you too,for lack of Flavor and taste.
    You want some really good figs.?Get George Michalev Winners,.and see what you are missing!!!!!
    I have some excellent ones too but his will sufice!!!
    Stay well

• goodground
    15 years ago

Since my Golden Alma did not produce any figs by year # 3, I left it out in the cold and it died over winter.
    I think the tree may have come back from the roots, but why bother?

By the way, how can I change the zone. When I first signed up, I thought I was zone 5-6. But I think NW NJ is zone6. Thx

• johnsvmf
    15 years ago

1. go to http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/
    2. about 2/3's down that page click on edit YOUR USER PROFILE
    3. Login
    4. Update your info

Good Luck!

• goodground
    15 years ago

Thanks John!

• bonsaist
    15 years ago

Herman,
    I still like you, although you're stuborn. lol
    I want to visit you when your figs are ripe.
    George have already impressed me with his collection, tasted the first fig from his tree Celeste #11, an excellent fig as far as flavor so far.

Bass

• jerseyphresh
    15 years ago

Herman's backyard is a fig enthusiasts dream! PS, I have Herman's Brunswick tree in my backyard (in a location that does not get as much rain run off). Hopefully this will help with splitting... Some Brebas fell, some are almost ripe... We shall see. It is fully leafed out and looking good.

• herman2_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well Jerseyphresh:Brunswick is a first class fig in other location:It is the best fig of Israel,and,also grows well in dry climates in this country.Jon in San Diego has cutting from same tree you got and it is superflavored and tasty.
    Best Regards

• fignut
    15 years ago

I've had Alma but very few figs. Apparently others have had the same experience.
    Last year when starting cuttings, I took quite a few from Alma. They all rooted even though they were very thin. I didn't want to waste pots on them, so I left them in small gallon pots all summer. Those plants popped an unbelieveable number of figs. My 8 gallon Alma didn't have one!
    Alma seems to like tight shoes.
    George, Alma is a palmata hybrid, so the palmata hybrid from Davis might also respond to a small pot. Worth a try!

• marcantonio
    15 years ago

hi herman,
    here on long island my biggest disapointment
    is lsu purple (plaqued with mosaic dry lousy figs)
    the best seem to be
    1) sal's

2)negronne

3)hardy chicago

4) white sicilian - in ground rapid grower.

5)calabrese cucumber- young yet very promising.

last year lattarula was a great early producer
    but this year seems very slow and less fruit.
    time will tell

marcantonio

• herman2_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Mark:You are right:My LSU Purple was unsatisfactory here too.You see Forgive me but I tried a lot of cultivars and I do not remember all that I consider unsatisfactory.
    You are right.
    Best Regards