Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
genecolin

Leaving Paradise

genecolin
13 years ago

Tomorrow we're boarding a plane in San Diego to go back to Louisiana. It's real nice here but it's not home. We've had a wonderful week. I got to visit and meet with Jon of figs4fun. We also drove Northwest of LA to visit Richard Watts. That was a very informative and enjoyable trip even if the traffic was terrible in LA. We capped off our visiting with a trip up to Ramona to visit Sue Vanderveen (svanessa on figs4fun). She grilled up some nice steaks and pop the cork on a great local red wine and we sat back like fat cats watching the sunset over the mountains. Anyway back to La. and my trees.

From the bayou,

"gene"

Comments (11)

• giants_2007
    13 years ago

Gene glad to hear you had a good trip and the pictures were nice to look at also.It was also nice to hear that you got to try some figs at Jon's.
    Sal

• paully22
    13 years ago

Thanks for the interesting feedbacks Gene. Too bad I had no chance to visit Jon last yr in SD. Saw the TV show "Billy the exterminator" yesterday evening -- looks pretty wild paradise out there in Louisiana with its fair share of bees, snakes & gators. Its a real shame if the BP oil spill would impact this wilderness beauty badly.

• genecolin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sal it was a great trip and this is what I returned to.

This is a picture of my first fig off of my Dad's Celeste that originated here in Houma and a cutting went to my brother's house in Tennessee years ago and then a cutting came back to Houma where Dad's original trees were destroyed by ice and huricanes.

It was ripe and sweet just like I remember them. This one was oozing through the skin. I shared it with Linda and she, like me wished for a bowl full. Too bad I only have about 10 figs on the 1 year old tree.

• mrhappy
    13 years ago

Sounds like you trip was the trifecta!

• genecolin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

paully, you must mean Billy the Idiot. The dude doesn't seem to have any common sense which is what it takes to survive here in La., but it is amusing. Some animals will be impacted by the oil spill for some time to come, but they will not be wiped off the face of the earth. Rather than think about the doom and gloom I'd rather think about what good will come of this, as I'm sure something will. I'm not talking about stopping the drilling. The day after I left CA they were holding a "hands across the sands" protest, protesting offshore drilling. Yet many of these same people stopped to tank up their cars on the way to the beach and to buy some sun blocker and never realizing they owe it all to drilling for oil. Who knows???

Mrhappy you're right, but it would have been super great if Rafed had also been able to make it, but I have Faith and our paths will cross yet.

From the bayou full of gators, snakes, bees and whatever.
    "gene"

• giants_2007
    13 years ago

Glad to hear you are back and what a nice surprise to welcome you home. Not the first ripe fig here.
    Sal

• paully22
    13 years ago

ha ha ha Billy the Idiot! Its hilarious the way billy & mum work along especially with mum trying to behave like spoil kid. Well, I think its a show that will fade out pretty quick.

Gene, any idea whether this Celeste variant drops a fair amount of figs?

• genecolin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Paully, I can't remember a season where many figs were dropped. If it did drop some, it was never enough to ruin the season. In extremely dry weather I can remember my Dad letting water run on the roots sometimes. We usually have drought conditions in late March,April, and sometimes into May. These are when the fig are forming. By the time they are ripening in July, we usually have a shower or two a week most years. Some years we get a showers every day which make the figs sour, but they don't split or drop.

From the bayou,
    "gene"

• vern_2006
    13 years ago

I had never heard of Billy the Exterminator until Saturday. My grandson watches his show and loves it. He and his mother and cousins went to Louisiana the week before last and went out of their way to see Billy and get is his autograph.

Vern

• paully22
    13 years ago

I have a Celeste variants that drops its figs. Well, I have another Celeste variant that is from Adrinao. Not sure whether it drop its figs. I have a mini blue Celeste that died to the ground & likely croaked. No signs of green coming thru the dirt yet. If it is dead, I would be looking for a proven Celeste. Thanks for the info Gene.

• danab_z9_la
    13 years ago

Gene,

I hope that you had a great time and came back with some new varieties of figs.

Dan