Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackoroo911

No fruit and Dying branches

Jackoroo911
11 years ago

I have a 5 year old Brown Turkey Fig tree that is has not been thriving as expected. Every year, the tree which is about 3 feet tall now grows huge leafs and new branches and makes about 6-12 fruit and then just dies again. This cycle repeats every year. The branches die every year and it looks like a twig until the middle of summer when it flowers again produces very very little fruit and then dies again. Is something missing that the tree is not getting? I live in North Carolina so the weather does not get too cold in the winter. We have the occasional frost in the winter but the weather is pretty normal for the most part. The tree gets plenty of water and sunlight. Any suggestions?

Comments (10)

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    11 years ago

Obviously, something is not right. This flush of growth, and then, followed by withering, has to be changed...but, how.

Culture:
    Is the tree planted in-ground, or, in a container???? You don't say. If containerized, is it root-bound? you don't say. What about fertilizers? you don't say.

This is to vague a problem, and not enough information is being given for anyone to guess/suggest what should be changed.

Give us as much information as possible so we can help you.

Frank

• johnsvmf
    11 years ago

Jackoroo911 I am a little confused by your statement that the Fig Flowers again. Not sure if you meant it pushes new growth again. You probably know this but the fig fruit is actually an inverted flower. I think Frank covers the need for more information rather well.

Vinnie

• Jackoroo911
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I apologize for the lack of information. The tree is planted in-ground about 4-5 years ago. I have given it a low nitrogen fruit tree fertilizer. There are apple trees about 20 feet away that are growing just fine but the fig tree just isnt thriving the way it should. It gets plenty of water so I know that is not an issue and the other fig trees I use to have at my old house survived just fine in the climate in North Carolina so I doubt weather is an issue.

Yes, when I say flower, I do mean that it does not push in new growth. Like I said, only about 12 fruit come from the tree each year.

Should I prune it? I read somewhere that pruning helps but I never had to do this with my other fig trees. I attached a picture of it to show you how it looks now, but in a few months it will completely wither and look like a twig. I recently placed a mesh covering on it to preserve the few fruit that it bares from the birds. As you can tell for 5 years old, it isnt very large.

• Jackoroo911
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I apologize for the lack of information. The tree is planted in-ground about 4-5 years ago. I have given it a low nitrogen fruit tree fertilizer. There are apple trees about 20 feet away that are growing just fine but the fig tree just isnt thriving the way it should. It gets plenty of water so I know that is not an issue and the other fig trees I use to have at my old house survived just fine in the climate in North Carolina so I doubt weather is an issue.

Yes, when I say flower, I do mean that it does not push in new growth. Like I said, only about 12 fruit come from the tree each year.

Should I prune it? I read somewhere that pruning helps but I never had to do this with my other fig trees. I attached a picture of it to show you how it looks now, but in a few months it will completely wither and look like a twig. I recently placed a mesh covering on it to preserve the few fruit that it bares from the birds. As you can tell for 5 years old, it isnt very large.

{{!gwi}}

11 years ago

Jack...

Now we're getting some clues.

That soil doesn't even look like it will support weeds. Is that a compacted clay-type soil? What is the tree planted in? Is it the same soil, with dark mulch on top, or, do you have it in a different mix? Does the site drain well? That tree should be way bigger than it is...something is really wrong here. I hope others will be able to help with this problem.

Personally....and this is just my view,...I'd pull that tree, and re-plant it into a very large pot. Then, I'd try different sites around the property until I found the right combination of sun, and shade. Then, I'd sink the containerized tree, half-way into the ground, and then mulch heavily around the pot, up to the rim. Water well, and feed with very diluted fertilizers, and see what happens. Maybe, you still can get some good growth. One more thing...does the tree have any diseases like Fig Mosaic Virus. It's hard to see the leaves.

Good luck. I hope you can find the answers you need to turn that plant into a respectable, fig-bearing tree.

Frank

11 years ago

Jack...

Now we're getting some clues.

That soil doesn't even look like it will support weeds. Is that a compacted clay-type soil? What is the tree planted in? Is it the same soil, with dark mulch on top, or, do you have it in a different mix? Does the site drain well? That tree should be way bigger than it is...something is really wrong here. I hope others will be able to help with this problem.

Personally....and this is just my view,...I'd pull that tree, and re-plant it into a very large pot. Then, I'd try different sites around the property until I found the right combination of sun, and shade. Then, I'd sink the containerized tree, half-way into the ground, and then mulch heavily around the pot, up to the rim. Water well, and feed with very diluted fertilizers, and see what happens. Maybe, you still can get some good growth. One more thing...does the tree have any diseases like Fig Mosaic Virus. It's hard to see the leaves.

Good luck. I hope you can find the answers you need to turn that plant into a respectable, fig-bearing tree.

Frank

• budbackeast
    11 years ago

Yes, the photo tells it all. Hard packed, poorly watered dirt, instead of rich, loamy living soil. Frank is always right about these things.

Hey Frank, can you post a picture of one of your trees?

• eden-13
    11 years ago

It can be infected with nematodes to, you can check by digging the roots and see whether there is thickening of the root. Or it is just compacted soil what Frank said.

• herman2_gw
    11 years ago

Nematode check is in order.
    The soil is good under the tree,so it should have got established by now.
    If clean from nematodes,mulch heavy in top under the tree and ,in a larger circle, and water when drought,and it will grow.
    If it dies during Winter it can be it is not cold hardy and there is not too much you can do,beside moving it in pot and protected like a tropical during Winter.
    In that case I would get rid of it and get a cold hardy tree,as it is too much work!

• Dan796
    11 years ago

Vinne,
    I see you are from Morgantown,WV?
    I'm just outside Beckley, in Eccles,WV
    Near Mabscott, & McArthur.
    I'd love to contact you about local figs?
    Can you PM me? When you get the chance please?
    Thanks!
    Dan~