Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
large brown/purple fig id

Posted by houstontexas123 z9 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 11, 11 at 20:01

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

visited my aunt today to help her setup her wireless laptop, she had these large brown/slightly purplish figs. 2-2.5" wide. kinda short. its shape reminds me of the LSU gold. large open eye. good fig flavor, medium sweetness.

we've had like 2 or 3 good rain showers in the past 4 months so there hasnt been any rotting due to the large open eye.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: large brown/purple fig id

hello!

I am over East of San Antonio myself. Can you post picture of the tree and leaves? That would be a big help. Also, the pics you posted are kind of dark and conceal some of the coloration. Thanks a lot!

o

• Posted by ejp3 7NY (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 12, 11 at 13:29

Can't tell if there is a void in the center of the fruit. If so I would say brown turkey.

o

here's another pic. they've been sitting on the counter, and have gotten darker. my aunt lives about 45miles away, so it'll prob be a while till i go visit them again. but she has a few rooted branches for me to pick up in the fall.

yes, there is a void in the center. i did a search on several of the more well known brown varieties, and couldnt find one that was large, brown/purplish and flattened. i dont think they were fully ripe, my aunt said they get a bit darker, but since we live so far away and dont visit very often she picked a couple for us to try.

left: flat like in the 1st pic, middle: fairly flat, right: more spherical.

o

Looks alot like the Fanicks Blue fig from Fanicks Nursery there in San Antonio. If you're close to the nursery go by and compare! Great fig!

o

wondering if your mom would be interested in selling or trading a few fresh hardwood cuttings from that tree? check out my tradelist or let me know, please. Thanks!

o

Here are pictures I took of the fruit and leaves of the original Fanick's Blue Giant tree located at the nursery on 14 Jun. The fruit were not completely ripe but still tasted pretty good. The nurseryman gave me a few to sample.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here