Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
removing figs from first year cuttings

Posted by creekweb 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 26, 11 at 20:46

I have a Black Madeira cutting that I started this year that is doing well but less than a foot tall at this point. I just noticed that it has two figs growing on it, the largest about 3/4 of an inch long. I normally would remove these figs, but I really want to try the fruit of this variety and my question is how detrimental to the fig tree would leaving the figs on the tree this year be? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: removing figs from first year cuttings

Believe me, I fully understand your dilemma and your desire to ripen that fig. However, here's the voice of one fignut's experience telling you what I know you do not want to hear.....REMOVE BOTH OF THEM now. Focus on root and tree development instead. Take comfort in knowing that tree is much too small to produce any good tasting fig. It would be a waste of the limited energy reserves that are available to this little tree. That tree will reward you in the future for removing them now.

Dan
Semper Fi-cus

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here