Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any poisonous figs? Or OK to eat the ones on our young tree?

Posted by cinnamonsworld Garden Hardiness Zon (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 17, 09 at 21:11

They're green, not turning any other color, look like normal figs. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any poisonous figs? Or OK to eat the ones on our young tree?

If you are referring to the, "Green Genie" on your homepage that is definitely a ficus carica, but I can't tell which cultivar. The fruit from ficus carcia is not poisonous (provided you're not allergic to latex), however I have read about poor tasting ficus carica figs that you would swear are poisonous:)

Before you sample your fig fruit, you may want to search this forum to determine when a fig is ripe. Generally when a fig is ripe it swells, and droops. Other potential changes include; color change, cracking, and nectar weeping from the fruit. Each cultivar has it's own characteristics and you will have to learn your trees.

Lastly most folks will tell you when you think the fruit is ripe leave it one more day. Hopefully a bird, squirrel or neighbor kid will not beat you to it.

Good Luck
Vinnie

o

Still unripe... they taste a lot like golfball-sized Thai eggplants right now. :)

Thanks for the great info though.

o

Just curious did you get edible fruit last year ?
Here is picture of my dark type when ripe first picture is a fig almost ready and tempting, the next picture is a fig thats ready to pick as it has what they call the hangmans neck see the little bend at the neck downwards its only support from drooping further down is the leaf stem its resting on.
I would imagine light color types hang similar.But i do know that your fig should swell up as this is a sign that it is starting to ripe is common fig self pollinating type.
Chicago Hardy Fruit
Chicago hardy fig

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here