Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danab_z9_la

Dan's Figs --- 2010 Season

danab_z9_la
13 years ago

I intend to post the ripening dates, taste, and fruit characteristics of some of my study figs as they ripen this season.

6/27/10

Black Mission #2

My first main crop fig this season. From 5 ft. container tree, FMV free tree, medium size, eye nearly closed, skin black in color, pulp amber and full, barely sweet, nice seed crunch, little flavor, taste rating: Edible.

Dan

Comments (91)

• danab_z9_la
    Original Author
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I continue to have perfect Mediterranean type weather for ripening figs in my yard.

Today's fig notes:

Black Mission....I really love that rich black mission taste. It is a must have variety if you have the room for it.

Italian Black (La. heirloom fig)....tasted this fig for the very first time. Super sweet and rich tasting. A medium sized dark purple fig that is better tasting than Robin's Sicilian Black. Really delicious. Tree wants to grow into an open pattern.

Blue Bingo....a La. heirloom fig that I discovered a couple of years ago. Due to its heritage, this particular cultivar is very likely of French origin. My 4 ft. tree was winter killed to the ground this past winter. However, it has grown back into a real nice 5 ft. multi trunked tree that is loaded with figs. In a normal year it will produce two crops. These figs are just a bit smaller than a regular Celeste. It is rain tolerant and bug resistant due to its closed eye. It has a taste profile that is very similar to that of a Celeste. This one did not drop any of its figs this year. It is definitely not a Celeste or Brown Turkey fig that is common in my area. Based on my trials with this fig and observations made on the mother tree, it appears to be a very promising cultivar for growing in a hot humid rainy area. It does exhibit a dwarf like growing pattern making it a likely good candidate for pot culture Next year I will know for certain if it ever drops its figs. I am paying very close attention to this particular cultivar. More later........

• danab_z9_la
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Today I received a phone call from a fellow fignut in my area.....he can ID himself in this thread if he so chooses. He was commenting on how delicious his figs are right now with the great weather we have been having. I totally agree with him and will comment further. Fig research means squat if you don't share results. I will post my findings to this forum for any who will listen. Anyone still following this thread???

I have no doubt that the best fig growing area in the United States lies in south Louisiana. Yes, it is even better than figs4fun Jon's climate because our climate is longer and hotter than his. Few realize, that when the weather is dry in South Louisiana, we have a Mediterranean type of climate. Not only that, I would argue that the figs grown in South LA. will rival the figs grown in the Mediterranean area. That is because of the type soil that exists in South La. We have rich Mississippi River and Atchafalaya River delta soil that was carried down to La. eons ago from the rich fertile soils up North. South La. soil is ideal soil for growing figs. I am on a mission to educate people in South Louisiana about this fact. And the fact that they can significantly extend their fig growing season if they just knew which varieties to plant. My primary research goal is to identify those desirable cultivars.

I have also been preaching to those people who love figs in my area just how lucky they are to live in such a unique and ideal place for growing figs. Mid to late season figs often taste much better than the earlier figs of the season. Some of the figs that have been ripening in my yard lately are simply off the chart good......no BS.

The people of South Louisiana who love figs need to listen to what I have just written. You live in a perfect environment to grow some awesome tasting figs besides
    Brown Turkey or Celeste.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Some of today's observations:

Ate a dried Sal's (El), that was almost as dry as a raisin. No bug problems at all and to die for good.

Ate a couple of hanging GM #11's. No bug problems and an excellent tasting fig. George do you hear me?? Your fig is a real winner in South La.

Had my first Louisiana Honey from my small tree. A super sweet fig. The figs from the mother tree were the sweetest figs I have ever tasted.

Golden Celeste (the one that looks like a Celeste), no bugs even when overripe. Eye is closed....no bugs can enter. An excellent tasting fig. Note: the pulp is "amber" on this GC......it is pink/red on the other Golden Celeste cultivar.

O'Rourke....ate the first one from my own tree. It is a very good tasting fig. Drum beat please........O'Rourke IS NOT the same fig as LSU Improved Celeste. Let me repeat that again. O'Rourke is not the same as LSU Improved Celeste. I have LSU Improved Celeste trees from two sources. The leaves on both trees are single lobed and tri-lobed leaves. Never have I seen a five lobed leaf on either of my two IC trees. O'Rourke, on the other hand, has three to five lobed leaves.

Atreano, a beautiful large fig. The eye opens too soon during the ripening process which allows fruit beetles to enter. I will send this one to fig heaven along with Black Mountain, and UCR 143-36.

I ate one of Ed P.'S Lattarola figs today. A very good tasting juicy fig. Very similar in color, shape, and taste to Gene C.'s Conadria that I tasted earlier in the year.

Dalmatie, tried to let one over ripen and found it on the ground. Honey drop was on the small eye. Excellent tasting fig considering its large size. Rich and juicy.

Southern Brown Turkey (not the Southeastern Brown Turkey) second crop....a very good tasting fig similar in shape & taste of Celeste. However, it is not the same as the typical Celeste in our area. Some claim that it is a bud sport of Celeste. Most Celeste trees have already dropped most of their leaves and have long since stopped producing figs.

Black Triana, St. Jerome, Hardy Chicago, Dark Portuguese no bugs and off the chart taste. Black Triana and St.Jerome oozes considerable honey that block entrance.

Gino's....excellent today.....no bugs.

Magnolia Bronze.....my first one this year. Very sweet and pleasant tasting.

St. Gabriel Black.....an excellent tasting medium size fig. Tree has a spreading growth pattern.

White Triana.....found some fruit beetles in an overripe fig.

Los Lunas Green.....my tree is small but my first two figs were good tasting.

Martin, Pastillier figs get the size of a nickle, color and then fall off to the touch. Still hoping that at least one out of a dozen of figs will ripen. Tree is still recovering from its complete top winter kill.....maybe it is dropping them to build up its energy reserves.

• dieseler
    13 years ago

Hi Dan, here is picture of the 1 lone ripe fig all others would turn color without swell giving me indication of sure to drop.
    The fig had mulberry taste and faint melon, very good first impression.
    Now if it can hold onto its crop it has chance to be a very good fig here in my zone, also it hardens its limbs in good way as it grows.
    I did not want to take up to much here on your thread so i only show 1 picture of this fig , the insides along with other angles can be seen on other forum along with many comments from other folks about it dropping its figs.
    {{gwi:790758}}
    sounds like your having a wonderful fig season Dan.
    Martin

• danab_z9_la
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Martin, thanks for posting that picture. It looks like a winner with that honey drop.

I like the fact that this year I have had both good and bad weather during the season. I need those weather extremes to better understand my figs growing habits and fruiting characteristics.....both good and bad.

One day I will have lots of people in my area appreciating these mid season figs. My dentist and his dad flipped when they tasted their first Violette De Bordeaux fig from the tree that I gave them. They are already propagating trees for their family and friends. Celeste is good but VdB is also a really good fig.

• ejp3
    13 years ago

Dan a lot of people are still following this thread, I know I am. Funny you mention latarolla being very similar to conadria. I always thought the same. My observations are, at least in my climate, that during a year as good as this has been for figs, conadria has been outstanding. The difference between the two I think is that latarolla dosent need an especially good year to be at it's best as conadria does. I was about to discard conadria after a few mediocre seasons but after this year I will keep it.

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Well this thread just made me break down and buy a white triana from Joe Morle. Sounds like it should do really well with my hot and humid central FL summers. I also ordered a Paradiso since the second tree is half price. Now I just need to think of somewhere to put them.

• danab_z9_la
    Original Author
    13 years ago

When I purchased my tree from Joe, it was his Black Triana that I really wanted.....the White Triana was my discounted tree. Those two cultivars are not even remotely related figs. You will enjoy your White Triana.

I will be spreading the word about this fig in my area to those who only know about Celeste. They will appreciate this carefree fig that will significantly expand their fig growing season.
    ----------------------------

Today's fig notes.......

I had quite a few Golden Celeste (amber pulp strain with Celeste fig shape) figs ripen to the point where they got ugly from the sugar spots. Really tight eye on this particular strain. No splitting or bug problems. This too is one great tasting white fig.......but ugly.

Still very impressed with the productivity and taste of Scott's Yellow.

Over ripe Hardy Chicago's hold onto the tree real well and are so good. I love that tiny bit of acidity that contrasts with its sweetness. HC is moving up in rank of my favorite mid season figs.

Both St. Jerome and Black Triana will drop their ripe figs when they become very ripe.

Quantico looks like it may be related to St. Jerome and Black Triana.

Native Blacks are now excellent tasting.....very rich and sweet large black figs. One downside to this cultivar is the eye splits and the skin cracks even during dry weather.....so far there is no problem with bugs or souring. It is a Louisiana heirloom fig that is making its appearance at some nurseries.

Over ripe Violette De Bordeaux figs hold real well onto the tree. Hard to beat the flavor when these figs are hanging ripe.

Dan

• noss
    13 years ago

Hi Dan,

Is there only one type of Hardy Chicago, or is it like so many others and there are several of them? ;)

noss

• danab_z9_la
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I really don't know if there is much fig confusion with Hardy Chicago. My two HC's from different sources look the same to me. Productivity on the two that I have seems to be linked to "new growth". One of my trees did not produce much growth this year and had only a handful of figs. I will be pruning the heck out of this tree in late fall....also will be giving it a good dose of fertilizer next spring just before the buds open. That will encourage lots of new growth and hopefully a larger crop of figs. My other HC tree was super productive this year.....it put on lots of new growth. HC is a real good fig down here......it just might need some pruning & fertilizer attention to keep it productive. Time will tell......

HC mid-season figs are delicious and do real well in our climate. For the life of me, I do not understand why LSU recommends the HC fig on a "trial" basis. HC is definitely a real winner in our area.

Dan

• noss
    13 years ago

Thanks, Dan, that's good to know. It's a good thing you're doing, studying the different trees to find what really does well down here, especially for someone with limited space.

Vivian

• genecolin
    13 years ago

You're right Vivian about what Dan's doing, but you are also so wrong. Each time he's talks about another variety I just want one so bad. I better hurry up and find a few acres somewhere to plant all my trees.

Thanks Dan for the continued reports, it's much appreciated. But as I said you sure make me want to buy more trees.

By the way, have you heard anything on Eddie Romero. I met someone the other day that went to his place about a month after his surgery. I think that they did buy sometime from his wife that said that he was recovering from the surgery, but nothing else.

"gene"

• noss
    13 years ago

LOL! Gene. You and everyone else down this way, I think..... :)

He's just torturing us, you know... He can probably just picture us, here, drooling as he describes the figs and how good they are.

Dan! You're a rascal, but I love hearing about the figs you're finding do well here. Keep up the good work.

noss

• danab_z9_la
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We are so fortunate to live in South Louisiana for many reasons. We can grow great citrus and figs in our yards that rival fruit grown elsewhere. Very few areas in the US have a longer and hotter summer and better soils than our Mississippi River delta soil. When our weather is dry, we have perfect weather for figs. That is why so many figs taste good here. Unfortunately, we live close to the Gulf of Mexico which makes our climate humid and rainy.

Talk to the locals and they will tell you that fig season begins on July 4th and ends in Mid August. Well that is because 75% of the fig trees in our area are Celeste. They simply do not know that there are other great tasting figs that will ripen all the way up to December. Nurseries do not have this information and even LSU is not making people aware of those other mid season & late season cultivars that exist. There are some Mid season and Late season figs that grow well and taste awesome in our climate. My job is to educate our locals on these cultivars. With a few choice plantings, we can have good tasting figs in our area from early June through the month of November and sometimes into December. Have you heard this good information before from any Nursery or even LSU?? I intend to change that by making people aware of the figs that do well in our area.
    -----------------------------------------------------

Man oh man.....what a difference a day makes in the life of a fig when they are ripening. They can go from good to excellent tasting seemingly overnight. Well when it rains they can go from awesome to crappy too.

I mentioned earlier that I was allowing my figs to over ripen....to study how well the figs held on to the tree and tended to dry. I wanted to see how well they held up to those fruit beetles. As reported earlier, several fig cultivars developed an awesome taste as they were drying....and no fruit beetles.

Well the day before yesterday, had 0.10 inches of rain in my yard from one of those widely scattered showers. The figs that were hanging turned into crapola. Yep, from awesome tasting to crapola almost overnight. However, the other figs on the tree that were not hanging ripe were not affected by that little rain. That is why we cannot dry figs on the tree in South Louisiana. Let they dry a bit if the weather allows for an awesome taste....otherwise pick them at an earlier stage of ripening when they are still very good to excellent tasting.
    ---------------------------------------
    Fig notes today:

Robin's Sicilian Black, a very good tasting medium sized black fig. This one can handle light rains with no problem. Heavy continuing rains will cause it to split and sour. This fig can drip a reddish color honey that has the taste of Concord grape juice.

Unknown O'Rourke yellow selection, a small bright yellow sweet fig. This fig is nearly perfectly round in shape (no neck). The eye is closed on this fig and will be further evaluated by me.

Native Black, this fig looks like it is likely related to Black Mission. This fig has that mission fig shape....but is a larger fig. The skin that is exposed to the sun turns jet black like a mission fig. The taste is similar to BM, but the pulp is a bit juicier. The pulp of a Black Mission fig is very dense while the pulp of Native Black is a bit looser. Native black is a large fig with an excellent complex fig taste. A downside is it open eye and a tendency of this fig to split (not crack) at its eye. Native black is a large and tasty fig.

Lou's Quantico, ate a couple more. It may be same or closely related to St. Jerome and Black Triana.

Flanders, this one will be sent to fig heaven. Tree wants to take over my trial row, is not productive, and fig taste does not impress me at all. There are too many other better tasting and more productive cultivars out there to bother with this one.

Violette de Bordeaux, that 0.10 rain caused some of the nearly ripe figs to eye split.

Golden Celeste (the one that looks like a Celeste fig), when you allow this fig get over ripe.....it will turn brown and get ugly. It has a closed eye that keeps the bugs out. When this fig is ugly.....it is a great tasting fig with a jam consistency amber colored pulp. Super sweet with very pleasant fruit notes to it. When it comes to figs, UGLY doesn't bother me at all. Note: Another Golden Celeste cultivar will have pink pulp and another will have amber pulp with an open eye.

Vernino is coloring and should be ripening soon.
    Joe Morle's San Pietro is coloring.
    Pastillier continues to drop its figs and will likely drop them all.

More later..........

• mrfigncz8
    13 years ago

Dan,

Your unknown O'Rourke yellow fig sounds like my LSU 156(original test
    plot number) . It is a very good fig here and doesn't drop fruit. It has
    proven to be quite hardy.
    Jack

• danab_z9_la
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jack, I haven't seen this one drop figs here either. I should have mentioned that the stem is pretty stout. These little known LSU selections are worthy of further study by a fig lover because they have good background genetics coming from their Celeste or Hunt mothers. Scott's Yellow has some interesting fruiting characteristics that the horticulturists at LSU may have overlooked.

Dan

• danab_z9_la
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Noss, the amber pulp Golden Celeste fig looks just like a normal Celeste fig except that it is Gold in color. When it ripens, the skin will have very large patches of sugar spots. It is a consistently good tasting very sweet fig. I will have to pay more attention to the pink pulped GC's eye when more ripen. It can definitely handle some rain.
    ---------------------------------

Cooler weather has arrived in my area this past week. Here are some observations on a few cultivars that are now ripening in my yard.

Vernio, ate my very first one today. A very pleasant tasting sweet fig with a jam like pulp I was expecting to see a very dark fig. This one was a brownish yellow colored fig with a closed eye. Lots more on the tree for further evaluation.

Native Black, ate two fully ripe figs this morning. A fantastic tasting LARGE fig. Very sweet & rich/complex tasting. One of the top tasting figs in my collection.

Fico Negra (Breva), ate my first one yesterday. I picked this fig because it had split (not surface cracked) at the eye. Even though not fully ripe, this fig had a good flavor. Quite a few more on the tree for me to evaluate.

LSU Purple, sweet, rich, and excellent tasting figs. These figs usually will continue to taste good even during colder weather.

Blue Celeste, figs are good tasting but not as good as first crop.

St. Gabriel Black, very good tasting large black fig.

Dalmatie, this is a very good tasting large yellow/green fig. The eye is tight enough to keep the fruit beetles out.

Scott's Yellow, the tree is loaded with figs that should ripen. This tree produced my first fig in early June of this year. I continue to be very impressed with this cultivar.

Scott's Black, a few figs are starting to swell.

Yellow Marseilles, I love this fig for its LARGE seeds that give it a pronounced nutty flavor. My tree was winter damaged last year and didn't produce many figs this year.

More later..........

Dan

• noss
    13 years ago

Hi All!

Dan, I could starve, reading the descriptions of your figs and how they taste when you talk about the ones you are finding that are good for our climate. If I'm not careful, I'm going to short out the keyboard!

I got to taste Scott's Black at Marty's house and they were delicious. My young SB had about ten figs on it when I got it and I let several ripen and they were not anywhere near as good as from Marty's older tree.

Today, I picked a ripe fig from my little Golden Celeste tree. The eye is very small and the pulp is pink, but it tasted pretty good for a baby tree. It must be about 15" tall if that. It had three nice little figs on it when I brought it home and they are persistently hanging onto the tree, showing no sign of dropping even with a repot to a larger pot after I got it home. I like the flavor even if it is not the same as yours with the closed eye and amber pulp.

noss

• danab_z9_la
    Original Author
    13 years ago

noss, yes LSU Scott's Black is a very good fig. I am also testing LSU Late Black and St. Gabriel Black. These are very good tasting figs too.
    -----------------------------------

Notes on some of the figs that I ate today:

Dalmatie, I really like what I am seeing with this LARGE fig. It is very sweet and complex/rich tasting yellow/green fig. The eye is very tiny and will leak a medium PINK colored honey.

LSU Golden Celeste, (the amber pulp Celeste looking one) I am not ready to declare this one the best of the LSU Golden Celeste figs going around. However, this one has a much desired tight eye and consistently produces very sweet figs.

Vernino, ate two of these today. The eye is closed and the figs again ripened to a yellow/brown color.....not the dark color I was expecting to see. These were very sweet with a rather thick dense pulp within. This one may turn out to be a good LATE season fig for growing in my area. Time will tell.

Native Black, a very sweet and rich/complex tasting LARGE black fig. I see why this heirloom fig has reached the retail nursery trade. Large figs most often do not taste this good.

Pastillier, just two remaining figs on my tree. One looks like it is swelling. Got my fingers crossed I get to taste one this year. It is a real PITA to have to wait years to taste some figs from a new cultivar.

Panachee is starting to swell.
    Noir de Caromb is starting to swell.
    Unknown Black fig from Southern France, is starting to color.

More later........

Dan

• noss
    13 years ago

Dan,

I'm glad to hear about the Native Black. I got one of those from Durio. It looked pretty bad when I got it, what with the brutal summer we've had this year and it had lost its leaves, but put on more. Don't know why, that's just what Dalton told me. I got it because it has a nice, straight little main trunk. It was in a one gallon pot that had it strangled, so I put it in a 3 gallon pot and its new leaves have gotten darker, but not larger. It looks a lot better now that it can breathe in the new pot.

I also got an Italian Black. The two trees look so much alike that I wonder if they are the same and were mislabeled, but I suppose I'll find out when they fruit next year.

I'm going to end up with more figs being late figs than earlier ones. Several of them are more like everbearing.

I'm still picking Celeste figs from the two big trees. Not quite as good as earlier, but still good.

I'm glad to know that you have found the GC that I have can handle some rain. The one you have would be more desirable, IMO.

Perhaps I will set up a grouping with the trees I have whose figs don't do real well in rain and rig up some kind of covering to go over them. I might put the weedcloth over them. The rain could drip through it in places, but might not let the rain drench the figs so badly. Maybe I'll discover something, too?

noss

• thisisme
    13 years ago

Dan I just want to thank you for this thread. I read the whole thing through today. Lots of good information. Open eye and closed or tight eye or eye filled with honey are lacking in descriptions nearly everywhere. Thank you for not leaving out such an important trait. If you ever write a book I hope to be one of the first to buy it. Another trait often missed in descriptions is whether a tree needs pollination for either the breba or main crops or both.

Another trait missed is how long it takes for a given variety to bear quality fruit. Some figs may be great but not everyone wants to wait forever for them to produce.

Most figs taste good grown in a warm climate if they aren't spoiled. I see so many you list as good and or excellent tasting. Any chance you will develop a number based system that covers sweetness, complexity, richness and intensity of flavor?

Lastly, I just wanted to say again that I really hope you will one day write and compile all you are learning through your research. A book on figs for warm climates would be really good. However if you could do a book with the help of a couple other people who grow in cool climates and people who grow figs that need to be pollinated would be more complete. Perhaps two books would be better though.

If I neglected to say thank you let me say it again.

Thank you.

• danab_z9_la
    Original Author
    13 years ago

There are three ways rain damages figs. 1) by saturating the ground with water that is then absorbed by the root system. 2) by diluting the sugar content of the pulp. 3) by diluting the honey drops at the entrance (eye) of a fig.

Pure honey will not ferment or go sour even if you put yeast directly on it. Pure sugar and honey are actually preservatives that kill microorganisms. It is only after either is diluted with water that they can ferment and/or go sour. So tenting your trees can keep the rain from diluting any thick honey eye seals. That is good as a thick honey seal blocks the souring bugs out. Thick honey seals simply cannot ferment unless it is first diluted with rain water at the eye. However, some figs will absorb water from the root system and that absorbed water can then dilute the sugars and/or swell the interior of a fig. Whether it splits or not depends on the fig skin's elasticity and thickness. Some figs absorb more water than others.

Good luck and much enjoyment with your experiments.

Dan

• thisisme
    13 years ago

Dan. theres is a seller on eBay with a very bad reputation on this forum and figs4fun. I guess he reads your threads because he tends to list the varieties you recommend including White Triana. I guess sales are good as he had a lot of cuttings listed yesterday and now there are only three.

I guess you should feel flattered. Your recommendations promote brisk sales.

• danab_z9_la
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am well aware of this shady character and did see his auctions on eBay. It is a shame what this guy is doing to some unsuspecting bidders. IMO there is no way this guy has some of the varieties that he sells. And no, I have never traded cuttings with this character and would never do so.

Fig notes today:

Ate several VdB figs....delicious and one of my favorites. IMO everybody needs to have a VdB fig tree for flavor and productivity. Sooooo good.

LSU Scott's Yellow......very much impressed with this tree. Cannot understand why LSU passed over this productive cultivar. There are still hundreds of figs in my tree which has been ripening figs since early June. Cooler weather has moved in my yard. However, the figs were again very sweet and THICK (dense) jammy pulp with a complex taste that resembles a hint of vanilla.

LSU Golden Celeste.....a real winner this year. Let these figs get "ugly" ripe (from the sugar spots) and get ready for a real taste treat. These figs belong in the super sweet category of figs. These figs are rain tolerant and consistently very good. They look nothing like the Golden Celeste fig at UCD.

LSU Golden Hunt.....an elongated beautiful bright yellow fig with pink pulp. This fig looks just like a Hunt fig; however, it is yellow instead of brown. The eye is closed on this cultivar. Ate one this am that was picked a bit too early.....marginally sweet with a promising good flavor. Even when ripe the skin will still have a crispiness to it that pops when you bite into it. Many more on the tree for me to perform a better evaluation in the next few weeks.

LSU Rouge(red), removed all of the unripe figs from my tree to conserve its energy for next season's growth. This is the only red fig to come out of Dr. O'Rourke's fig breeding program. It is a small to medium sized mid to late season RED fig. This is by far the hardest fig to root of all of the many varieties that I have ever rooted. I am air layering my plant to get myself a back up tree.

More later......

Dan

• danab_z9_la
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thisisme,

I missed your earlier post. You are quite welcome. I hope that others like you find some information relevant in this thread. IMO research is baloney unless you share some of that information and insight with others. Herman is the guy who inspired me to conduct fig trials in South Louisiana similar to his trials up in New Jersey.

Keep in mind as you read these descriptions of the figs in my yard....... that I happen to live in fig paradise. My climate is long and hot. My soil type is Mississippi River Delta soil.....one of the best for growing figs. When the weather is dry in my yard (the normal late summer weather pattern in South Louisiana), we have a perfect Mediterranean type of climate that figs really love. Good soil plus good climate equals excellent tasting figs. My particular climate rivals even the climate in San Diego. It is hard to produce a bad tasting fig in my area. Part of my job is to educate the people in my area about their "special fig growing climate" and make them aware of other great tasting cultivars that will significantly extend their fig growing season over their typical Celeste planting.

I take my fig research activities (propagation methods and fig trials) very seriously. And yes, I do plan on a fig publication one day that will describe the growing and fruiting characteristics of the figs that I grow. This information will be helpful to the nurseries who introduce newer fig varieties from my trials to their customers. I will give them accurate data and descriptions that they will need to sell those trees. One downside to fig research..........it is a very SLOW process. It take some time to really know how a particular cultivar performs in my rainy climate. If it doesn't rain one year.....you must wait until the following year to hopefully get some rain tolerance information. It is a slow deliberate process......but, a retirement activity that I truly love.

Dan

• noss
    13 years ago

Dan,

This is great information you're getting out.

I would love to taste a fig that had a hint of vanilla in its flavor.

Where did the yellow Hunt come from? Is it a new fig?

noss

• danab_z9_la
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Noss, I am a fig hunter who hunts for different type figs in South Louisiana. There are many more heirloom and these little known figs left to be discovered. The LSU breeding program selections that I acquired deserve further evaluation because they came from Celeste and Hunt mothers.....both good rain tolerant figs. Horticulturists are not the best people for evaluating the merits of different fig cultivars. It takes a "fig lover" to do those evaluations properly. I will have more to say about Golden Hunt and the other O'Rourke selections next year.

Dan

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    13 years ago

Hello Dan and thank you for the detail report on your figs. I really enjoyed your research. I've read this thread several times now. I did talk to Joe Morle and purchased several of his fig trees. I made another order today!

Dan, I have a question. Some folk mentioned these 3 figs, O'Rourke, LSU Improved Celeste, and LSU Improved Celeste (Not). Do you know the difference in these 3 figs? If so, can you explain to me the big uproar difference? Early this year, I purchased an O'rourke from Dalton. The tree grew so fast and produced some of the best sweet figs. The figs on my tree had a long neck that curved and red center like Celeste. About a month ago I won the eBay bid for one of the Improved Celeste (Not). I have no clue what this tree is in comparison. I plan on growing these 3 trees side by side. However, I think you may already know the difference in these trees. Do you?

Like your area, the only 2 trees folks around here know of is Celeste and Brown Turkey. Both grow fast and produce well in my area. You mentioned St Jerome. I don't think I have that one in my collection but I did order a Black Triana from Joe. And if you think the Black Triana and St jerome are the same fig, that would be good to know. Great job on your researched. Keep up the good work. cheers, Dennis

• noss
    13 years ago

I think, by the time we get back from NJ, there won't be any more white triana fig trees at Joe Morles nursery!

Everyone will have one but me... :(

Just kidding. I did tell Joe not to be surprised if there's a run on them soon.

noss

• danab_z9_la
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dennis,

I specialize in the LSU bred figs. Yes, there is a difference between the LSU Improved Celeste and the O'Rourke fig. I came to that final conclusion this year after studying a bunch of fig trees including mine. The LSU Improved Celeste tree has only SINGLE lobed and THREE lobed leaves. It does not ever have five lobed leaves even when growing very vigorously (usually as a result of heavy fertilizer or new growth following heavy pruning).

The O'Rourke fig on the other hand has THREE lobed and FIVE lobed leaves. That is how one can tell the two cultivars apart. They are both good figs. The person who has assigned the LSU Improved Celeste (Not) designation can look at its leaves to ID......if it is single and three lobed, than it is the LSU Improved Celeste cultivar. There is also a YELLOW LSU Improve Celeste tree going around in South Louisiana and one can ID it by the color of the fruit.

There are several good reasons for this confusion and I do not want to make some of that information available to the general public. Some nurseries use the O'Rourke and LSU Improved names interchangeably; but, I can assure you that they are NOT the same cultivar. Count the lobes on your leaves to find out what you have.

Yes, I am 100% sure that Joe Morle's Black Triana is closely related to Gene's (East Coast Figs) St. Jerome fig. I am ALMOST certain that they are in fact the exact same cultivar. Next season I will be able to know with 100% certainty. Lou's (Elder's) Quantico fig seems to be related to both St. Jerome and Black Triana. I will know for sure next season.

I sure hope you got yourself a White Triana. My tree is still producing very sweet figs even though our temperatures are much cooler right now. It is such a good, productive, and trouble free fig for my area. I predict that it will become as popular as Celeste in my area......it has passed my fig trials with flying colors. White Triana is a fig with almost PERFECT fruiting characteristics.

I am glad that you found some of this information helpful.
    --------------------------------------------

Fig notes:

Cooler weather has arrived in my area and it has affected the figs in my yard. Many are not as sweet as they were earlier in the season. Many are smaller in size and the dark figs are lighter in color.

Native Black, continues to be a very good tasting fig......sweet and rich tasting LARGE fig.

Hunt, ate my very first fully ripe one from my two trees. A good tasting fig.

LSU Purple, still sweet and very good tasting.

Jacky Lily, not as sweet as earlier but every bit as juicy. I really believe you can poke a hole in this fig with a straw and slurp out the juice/pulp.

Vernino, a very good tasting yellow/brown fig. Pulp is on the dry jammy side. Eye is closed on this cultivar.

LSU Golden Celeste (amber pulp stain), as I mentioned earlier these figs belong in the SUPER SWEET category of figs. The eye on this fig is very tight and will not allow the fruit beetle to enter. The eye of this fig will leak honey that completely solidifies and blocks the tiny entrance. These figs do not drop nor do they split with heavy rains. When they are ugly with sugar spots and have SOLID honey drops on the exterior they are super good. Tree is very productive. A real winner even for its mid to late season figs.

LSU Golden Celeste (pink pulp stain), these are good tasting but, right now, they are not as sweet as the amber pulp stain. The eye is very tight. Need more study on this cultivar.

Golden Hunt, figs are not as sweet as earlier. Need more study on this cultivar. Eye is small and tight.

English Brown Turkey, a very good tasting fig. When fully ripe it has a sweet rich taste. When picked earlier it has a figgy taste. Need more study during rainy conditions. This is not your insipid tasting Brown Turkey fig.

LSU Improved Celeste, had a couple of figs that were dead ripe on my tree. Excellent tasting even with the cooler weather.

VDB, these are smaller in size.....but continue to be big on flavor. One of my favorites....even during cooler weather.

Dalmatie, very good tasting still. The figs are now leaking a RED colored honey from the eye. The interior pulp is much redder than earlier figs. Nice rich flavor to these LARGE figs.

Atreano, some of the figs now ripening have a tighter eye which is keeping those fruit beetles out. The figs ripening now are very good tasting.

Cajun Honey figs ripening now are not as sweet as those that I tasted from the mother tree.

Ed P.'s Lattarolla fig, very good tasting juicy fig. These figs will fall from the tree when they are fully ripe.

Fico Negra (Breva, Negro Largo), what a beautiful MANLY regal looking fig. These medium to large size figs have a long neck and a very thick stem. The stem is the thickest I have ever seen on any fig. They sure look pretty on the tree. Still waiting to taste my very first one ever. Can't wait!!

Col De Dame figs are starting to swell.........CAN'T WAIT TO TASTE THEM AGAIN!!

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    13 years ago

Wow! Thank you Dan. Now I understand the difference. MY O'Rourke was so good this year that I called Dalton and ordered another one. My O'Rourke is one of the real McCoys or shall I say, Dalton's O'Rourke is the true O'Rourke.

Yes, I did get a couple of Joe's White Triana trees and others. I plan on getting a few more next month. He packages his trees so well. I picked my last Atreano yesterday. Man heaven sakes was it good! It was large and very sweet. I still got a few Strawberry figs trying to ripen and Parasido figs trying to ripen. But it's getting colder by the week and I know they won't ripen. Thanks again for the information Dan. Dennis

• noss
    13 years ago

Hi Dennis,

What shape are the leaves on Dalton's O'Rourke?

Thanks,

noss

• danab_z9_la
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This morning I had a 7 year old neighbor (and friend of my 7 year old grandson) with me as I sampled some figs in my yard. This young lad is really interested in figs as he asked so many questions. On his last visit he enjoyed eating some VDB's so much, I promised to propagate a VDB fig tree for him. Today he enjoyed the Damatie fig so much, he asked if it was OK if he ate any others that ripen while I will be on vacation next week. I am so delighted to see such a young boy take such an interest in figs. It was so nice to hear him go hmmmm as he devoured those figs.
    -------------------------------------

Dalmatie, today these figs were EXCELLENT tasting.....very sweet with a complex rich taste. One of the top tasting figs in my collection. The interior was dark red. The eye is so tiny that it will not allow fruit beetles to enter. One of the ripe figs eaten today had a drop or RED honey at the tiny eye. My young visitor was intrigued. Dalmatie is a LARGE fig and is very BIG on taste. Cool weather has not hurt the taste at all. This cultivar looks like it will be a real winner in mid to late season figs. The fig holds well to the tree even when ripe. This one has GREAT potential for my climate......needs a little more rain tolerance data to confirm.

Native Black, this is another LARGE fig that is BIG on flavor. However, it appears this fig needs heat to develop it true flavor potential. The ones that ripened during hot weather were EXCELLENT......sweet and rich tasting. In fact, Native Black figs ripening during prime time are some of the top tasting figs in my collection. However, the figs ripening now during cooler weather are only good tasting. This one needs further evaluation.

LSU Golden Celeste, my young visitor really liked these super sweet figs with the solid honey drops on the exterior skin. When he found out that it came from LSU, he asked a lot of questions. The cool weather has not affected the sweetness of this fig at all. What that means to me, is that it will be a very sweet fig for growers in northern climates. This one is a real winner in my climate.

White Triana, figs are still very good tasting during cooler weather. Another real winner in my climate.

Col De Dame Blanc, ate a couple that only merited a good taste rating. These figs were no where near as good tasting as they were for the last two seasons. I suspect this is because there are no leaves left on the tree, as all have fallen. There are still a couple of dozen on the tree left to ripen........I don't anticipate any making the AWESOME rating this year.

VDB, still very good tasting during this cooler weather. Another real winner in my climate.

Atreano, the eye is tighter on the second main crop figs and the flavor is much improved over earlier main crop figs. This causes me to re-think sending this one to fig heaven this winter. I will grow it another season before making a final decision on this large fig. First main crop figs had the eye open up too soon which allowed infestation with those fruit souring beetles. Those first main crop figs could not ripen properly.

Dan

• herman2_gw
    13 years ago

Dan:Atreano was exactly the same for me.
    Good tasting in August,but excellent tasting in October.
    I would like to note,that I think the cause ,of losing some flavor in August was the excesive heat(90 -to 103)we had then,and the fruits were ripening too fast.
    I had figs today and yesterday of excellent taste.
    This cultivar is a definite keeper.

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    13 years ago

Hello Noss, according to Dan's comments, I have one of the true O"Rourke's figs. My tree has both 3 and 5 lobes leaves. I liked the figs so much that I bought another one! As for the Atreano fig, I truly love those figs too! I got a few more Atreano small trees rooted from cuttings this year. I'll be planting the mother tree in the ground this winter. Everybody should have an Atreano fig and an O'Rourke. Cheers, Dennis

• noss
    13 years ago

Hi Dennis! Well, if you think everyone should have an O'Rourke tree, then please tell me, where did you get your O'Rourke trees from? :)

noss

• danab_z9_la
    Original Author
    13 years ago

........and everybody should have a Smith too. When you guys get to taste a Smith fig......you will see for yourself why this cultivar deserves a wider distribution. Second main crop figs have stripes on them right now and the pulp is deep red. These late figs are very sweet and super RICH tasting. Nothing bland about a Smith fig......one of the best white figs for flavor. Be sure to get yourself a Smith if you do not have one. It is a great tasting heirloom fig brought into the New Orleans area by Italian immigrants.

Dalmatie figs are fantastic if you let them get a bit over ripe.

Ed P's Lattarolla, very sweet and juicy fig with good flavor.

Fico Negra (Negro Largo)........all of the figs are falling like they would need caprification..........???? Time will tell........

Pastilliere.......only one fig left on tree and will likely fall as the others did.

VDB.......had about 20 ripe figs on the tree this AM that I saved for my grandson and his friend. When they came back from school, they literally ran to the tree to devour them. It is one of their favorites.....and mine.

Scott's Black, the last two I ate were not as sweet as earlier in the year.

Joe Morle's San Pietro, not very good right now.

St. Jerome and Black Triana, still very good figs.

Native Black, had one today that I would rate a 9+ on its rich complex flavor. They are super tasting when fully ripe. Next year my tree should attain a normal growing/fruiting cycle. This fig is almost as large as Dalmatie....both are larger than LSU Gold figs. Both of these cultivars have very good sweet and rich flavor for being such large figs. Dalmatie is a top notch tasting white fig that is doing quite well in my area during this cooler weather.

Herman, I ate two more Atreanos this morning that were excellent tasting. The eyes on these second crop figs are very small compared to the first main crop. I can see why others find it a very good tasting fig. In my case, the fruit beetles were getting into the open eye of the first main crop figs and keeping them from ripening properly. The yeast on the fruit beetle body was fermenting the sugars as soon as the sugars formed in the pulp. That is why I was preparing to discard it this winter. I am having the same problem with 143-36.....sours from the inside before it gets a chance to fully ripen. The 143-36 has another crop that may ripen before winter.....maybe they will be better....if not.......fig heaven for sure.

Dan

• fatnsassytexan
    13 years ago

Hi Dan, enjoy reading all your fig information.My Atreano has been much better tasting this fall also, but I have never had sour figs on mine. I'm not 100% sure, but I have never seen those fruit souring beetles here either. I guess it just a matter of time though buying plants from all over. I ate a fig today that was supposed to be a Smith and looks like one, but my source was very unreliable. It was extremely dark red inside and was just delicious. Reminded me of the best strawberry jam I ever ate. I did get two more real Smith's started from cuttings from a very generous fig friend so time will tell. The next question is about the O'Rourke. I have two but they were the same source and both have 3 & mostly 5 lobed leaves, but are not fingered like the LSU pamphlet shows. I was curious as to your opinion. I only had a few figs late but looked like Celeste, but were much smaller. Young tree. Thanks in advance. Tim

• danab_z9_la
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tim,

I didn't have any fruit beetles in my yard until my Black Mountain (almost sure it is a Brunswick) fig tree starting splitting and producing sour fruit......then beetles appeared every where.

If your tree has three and five lobed leaves.....you have the O'Rourke and not the LSU Improved Celeste cultivar. The LSU Improved Celeste is planted in many fig orchards in south Louisiana and doing quite well in replacing Celeste plantings. Both O'Rourke and LSU Improved Celeste are excellent tasting sibling figs.

I will give my O'Rourke extra fertilizer next year to see if it will produce those longer fingers.......vigorous growth on leaves can have an affect on its shape. Mine did not have those long fingers this year and I am 100% sure it is an O'Rourke because it came directly from the breeding program at LSU.

Dan

• fatnsassytexan
    13 years ago

Thanks Dan, I'll try extra fertilizer on these also next season.

• danab_z9_la
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Did I mention that Native Black figs taste FANTASTIC when fully ripe?? Well they sure do even when ripening in cooler weather. This large fig is very BIG on flavor. This cultivar appears to be related to Black Mission. It has that same black mission look.....only it is a much larger fig. The interior pulp is not quite as dense as a Black Mission fig......the pulp is a bit looser. Some of these figs will ripen to attain that AWESOME rating......sweet and rich/complex tasting. This fig will surface crack early in the ripening process. Many will split at the eye. What is unusual about this particular fig is that the split does not attract fruit beetles. The split does not release any juice and actually HEALS itself and continues to ripen.....very unusual. Some of my VDB figs have done the same thing this year. Native Black continues to be one of the best tasting figs in my collection. It is an Italian Louisiana heirloom fig that definitely is a fig to watch and definitely deserves further testing in other areas.

Unknown Late Green Fig....very similar in taste to JH Adriatic. It is a bit smaller than JH Adriatic and the pulp is deep red in color. The eye is very tight on this fig.

Green Greek Fig, a small to medium sized green fig with dark red pulp. This fig has a sharp acidity to its taste. Sort of tart like a Granny Smith apple.

LSU Golden Celeste......figs continue to drip honey that form solid honey drops even during cooler weather. Don't notice any reduction in level of sweetness.

JR's Sicilian Black.....very good tasting figs at this time of cooler weather and no rain.

Late Black....very good tasting medium to large fig with red pulp.

..........saved quite a few Gino's and VDB on the trees for my grandson and his friend to eat tomorrow. Both still have good flavor right now.

Dan

• danab_z9_la
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I had a small scattered shower about noon time yesterday drop about 0.05 inches of rain in my yard. This AM I saw that I had Native Black and Violette figs that had split wide open and were ruined. Native Black is one of the blackest of figs and Violette almost looks black with its deep violet color. I wonder if these figs heat up during the day by absorbing more sunlight than other less dark figs? And when a momentary shower falls on the heated fig.....that is what causes these two to split???? The amount of rain that fell yesterday was not very much and we had strong sunshine before and after that brief shower. I'm sure that the sunshine after the shower evaporated the wetness off the figs before it had time to get into the eye. Time will tell if this mechanism can cause some dark colored figs to split..........

Gino's and VDB are still very good tasting.

Hardy Chicago, Morle's San Peitro, and English Brown Turkey figs are only passable tasting.

Black Triana and St. Jerome flavor has diminished quite a bit.

Hunt, I finally got a chance to eat a ripe Hunt fig from my second tree. This one was a very good tasting brown fig with a closed eye.

Blue Celeste, junk tasting figs this late in the season.

Improved Celeste, still very good.

Smith, still very good.

143-36, junk tasting right now. Going to fig heaven this winter.

Fico Negra (Negro Largo, Breva), two of these jewels are starting to color and soften......a very Royal looking fig with its large stem and beautiful shape. Wonder if it is related to Black Ischia?? Time will tell.......

Dan

• danab_z9_la
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Last couple of days I have been spitting out most figs that I tried eating. Sweetness and flavor is much diminished as the cool weather has taken its toll.

Hardy Chicago, quite a few figs got hanging ripe. However, flavor was much muted. These were barely edible figs.

VDB still has flavor but sweetness is gone. Some figs are developing a green mold....first time I have seen mold on any of my figs.

Fico Negra, two figs fell soon after they started to color and soften. Nice size beautiful fig with blocked eye, red pulp, no voids in the pulp. I was glad to see no void on the inside of this fig. Did have some flavor and a little sweetness; however, they definitely were not ripe enough. This cultivar has very large stems.

Malta Purple, my young potted tree produced a very good tasting fig for me this morning. This cultivar will likely be excellent tasting in my area given how good it tastes right now from a young plant.

Native Black, sweetness and flavor has diminished quiet a bit. These figs continue to ripen dark black in color and are still edible.

Unknown Late Green (possibly a La. heirloom fig), figs were good tasting. Eye is closed and interior is deep dark red. This one is a small fig and is different than the other green figs that are in my collection.

Pastillier, all figs fell of my tree this year. Maybe will taste one next year.

Panachee, I had about a dozen figs on my tree this year and was hoping to taste at least one. These figs all disappeared one day and I can guess where they went. My grandson and his friend likely took them to show them to their pals. They were fascinated with them figs looking like little hot air balloons. A bit disappointed, but if they did that.....it is OK if it keeps them interested in figs. I had given them permission to eat any ripe fig they saw in my yard.

Dan

• noss
    13 years ago

Hi Dan,

What has the weather been like this past week? Is the weather responsible for the loss of taste in the figs?

After August, any Celeste figs that ripen on my trees don't taste very good anymore.

We're on dial-up here in NJ and I think this is the first time I've gotten enough speed to stay on GW since we got here, so if you don't hear back from me here, that will be why.

noss

• herman2_gw
    13 years ago

I had super super tasting figs here in New Jersey,this weekend from:
    Atreano
    Aubique Petite
    Paradiso Bronze
    Paradiso White
    Sicilian Black
    Sal Corleone
    Weeping fig
    Gino's
    Marseilles vs Black
    And a very young plant,I am not able to divulge the name because I can't resist when my best friends ask for cuts,and it is so small I can't take any at this time.
    My Col De Dame had about 3 ripe figs but they had the Flavor but not the sugar they had in September.

• herman2_gw
    13 years ago

Forgotten to Mention Scot's Black:My doughter in law had a couple supersweet and flavorfull,Scot's black yesterday.

• noss
    13 years ago

Hi Herman, Was it the Atreano that you gave me to taste? If so, it was delicious and had such a good fig flavor. I loved it.

noss

• herman2_gw
    13 years ago

Absolutelly Vivian:I had another one today and it was delicious,much better than it should be this time of the year,really.

• noss
    13 years ago

Thanks, Herman, that was a special treat and I still can't get over how lucious it was at this time of year up here in NJ. It was such a pleasant surprise.

Mike's mom got the biggest kick out of our going to pick up the little fig trees at your house and are going to take them back with us in the car.

Mimi has always known her daughter-in-law is a nut and now she knows I'm also a fig nut. :)

noss

• iammarcus
    13 years ago

Dan
    Would you mind listing your 3 best early figs,
    3 best mid-season figs and 3 best late season figs?
    Feel free to expand on these listings.
    Thanks
    Northern Dan (Indiana)