Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fernando_grow

hollier split after heavy rains

fernando_grow
12 years ago

well waiting for one of my favorite figs to ripen after a hard dry spring what happened, three days of heavy rain just before my hollier figs were ripening. many of them split and i found that the ones that ripened weren't very sweet. i know this can happen but it's never happened to my hollier. just curious, anybody else have this happen to them. my improved celeste are starting to ripen and no problem with splitting. also my lsu gold had no breba crop and seems slow to getting mature figs.

drier weather is in the forcast and hopefully my hollier will get back on track with sweet, large and not too pretty figs.

Comments (8)

• noss
    12 years ago

Hi Fernando,

I don't have an Hollier, but I do have an IC and during the rains we had recently, the ones that were ripening did split and were watery-tasting. I ate them anyway, before they could sour.

My LSU Gold has started one tiny fig on it, but it's getting bigger every day. It's still very small and very green.

How do the Holliers taste?

noss

• paully22
    12 years ago

Very sweet. I like them. Productive too and at a young age. My tree started to produce on 2nd season. Started it as a cutting. Rooted real easy. Noss -- if you want try Hollier, I should be able to send 3 cuttings in Fall. My Hollier came from a 3rd party & he got it from Adriano.

• fernando_grow
    Original Author
    12 years ago

noss, i took some cuttings last week from my hollier that got a broken branch from a coon or possom and put them in the back of my truck to stick in the fridge. well i forgot them in my truck and after five days in the sun and well, you know the rest. my ic are starting to ripen and like you the ones i've eaten are rather bland. probably the worst time for a huge rain after a drought for hollier. oh well, we still have a lot of fig ripening season left and tomorrows figs will taste even better. good luck
    fernando

• noss
    12 years ago

Hi Paully,

Thanks so much for your offer. I need to get the hang of rooting cuttings, so I can grow the cuttings several people have been so sweet to give to me.

Fernando,

I ate a ripe IC this afternoon and it was darker in skin and more pink inside than the first few were. It was reaaaallly good. :)

I ate a Hunt fig, too and it was very good. I'd never tasted one before. And there was the Smith, too. I don't think it was real ripe, but it was very good and had a bite to it that cut through the sweetness and it had a nice fig taste, as well. I hope the rain doesn't get the few that are starting to ripen. I'm thinking of putting something over the IC and the Smith if it rains tomorrow. I shoved both trees closer to the front of the house in hope that might keep the rain off them some.

It's the Black Celeste I'm really waiting to taste and the one Brown Turkey that's starting to swell, too. It now has pink at the eye, but was green until it began to swell a little, so it's acting like a Celeste, but the leaves don't look like Celeste and it's exactly the same as the smaller TX Everbearing. The TX E isn't trying to ripen its figs yet, but it will be interesting to see if they really are the same tree.

I got the TX E and BT last year before I got into the forums as much, or I probably wouldn't have gotten those, but we'll see how they do.

noss

• fernando_grow
    Original Author
    12 years ago

noss, this weekend i'll be at my camp and hopefully there will be some nice figs waiting to be picked. my hunt as of sunday didn't seem to be close to ripening. my ic started giving a few sweet figs. now i hear you have a smith, i had one too until it started producing and then i found that it wasn't a smith after all. i beleive that your trees are young but if by chance this fall you take cuttings from your smith, i would sure appreaciate one. of course you are welcome to any cutting you like from mine. my daughter in n.o. didn't make over here for fathers day and on my wish list was a smith fig tree from becnals nusery in belle chase. if i've been good maybe i'll get it later.
    fernando

• noss
    12 years ago

Fernando,

Ricky, at one of the Becnel Nurseries over that way told me they don't sell Smiths anymore.

Did your daughter tell you Becnel's had the Smiths?

Mike flies out of Houma and he's seen Becnels nurseries over that way. He said there are several, but I don't know anything about that.

I could air layer you one of the branches of my Smith. I wouldn't have enough growth for cuttings. Would you like that? I was going to do this for another person on the forums, too.

The fruits look like Smiths. They ug-leeee--E! But the one I ate sure was good and it wasn't dead ripe, so I'm thinking I need to wait a little longer before picking the next figs.

My tree came from a man named Mark Simon and he works a lot with UL's Horticultural Center.

Have you ever heard of a man named, Dr. Mayers. He's a retired UL professor and has a large garden a short way from me off of S. Congress St. That's where I tasted my first IC. Just wondering.....

noss

• noss
    12 years ago

Correction: When Mike was flying out of Boothville, he would drive to work, from Lafayett, and would see what looked like several nurseries with the name of Becnel. He's been flying out of Houma since Katrina drowned the base as Boothville.

noss

• fernando_grow
    Original Author
    12 years ago

noss, i just read your response about the smith fig. i would like a tree, a cutting, or any kind of a smith fig tree. i will trade a cutting or tree for what you can get me from your smith fig tree. let me know what you are looking for.
    thanks fernando

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz